Day 1 of liquid diet... and no supports

CdngirlinNC
on 6/3/14 12:50 am

You're going to do just fine if you're committed to the process (including all the ups and downs) but it would make the road a lot easier if you could release yourself from needing the approval of others.  You're doing this for you - not for how others are going to think about you.  It would be so nice if everyone we shared our plans with were as positive about it as we wanted them to be but they aren't in your skin and haven't lived your journey.  Don't take it personally!  Just move forward with your plans for good health and be happy and grateful for the opportunity - even while on the yucky liquid diet! It's good that you're speaking out on a forum where you will get the support you need.  Wishing you all the best!!

VSG 07/07/14

madpistol
on 6/3/14 1:04 am

I think your mother is scared for you cuz she knows theres a chance that something serious can happen during surgery but she also knows how you need it so i just think shes worried. 

Dorine63
on 6/3/14 2:42 am - Alma, KS
VSG on 06/20/14

I start my pre-op diet in 6 days. Even though I am new to the site, I have found several entries that have been useful and all are very supportive. I am one of the lucky ones that has a very supportive family and significant other. But, they cannot answer some of the questions that only a person who has gone through WLS can. I have found a couple of online support sites that are both supportive and informative. If you are one that prefers face-to-face support, maybe your surgeon may be able to recommend some local groups. I live in a very small community (pop. 300) so there are no local groups available. I applaud you on your courage and determination to become healthy. It takes a lot to decide to have surgery; and is very frustrating when others judge that one is "taking the easy way out". I am using this pre-surgery time to make a list of short and long-term goals and rewards that do not revolve around food to give myself when I achieve them. If you would like to be weight loss buddies, I would like to be your friend. Either way, I wish you the best and look forward to hearing from you.

Dorine Schley 

LakeErieGirl
on 6/3/14 2:56 am, edited 6/3/14 2:59 am
VSG on 06/17/14

I am sorry that you feel like you don't have the support that you deserve. Have you tried maybe keeping a journal during this time writing down how you are feeling? I noticed that you just started the Pre-Op Diet and are worried that it is going to suck as you say. Maybe that will also keep your mind off of food even.

I am just starting my Liquid Phase today. My surgery date is June 17 so in some ways I understand what you are going through. However, I only have told my husband and oldest son by choice. Basically,  I am relying on myself and my husband for emotional support. Its hard so I understand. That is why I came here!

Maybe just keep posting here too.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey!

NorthernHusky
on 6/3/14 4:26 am

i have onl told those people as well :) and im on the 16th!
good luck, :)

BLOSSOM61
on 6/3/14 3:10 am

I go in next Monday and have a IVC filter placed and then my surgery is scheduled for Tuesday!!  Yea!  I was suppose to start the liquid today but started over the weekend so I could get rid of lot of the fluid while I was at home since my office is so far from the restroom.  I was approved to have a refrigerator in my office and that has really helped.  I love Atkins Dark Chocolate Royale shake....tastes just like a fudgecicle.  I can have up to five shakes a day.  Drink lots of water! Keep hydrated.  Might as well get into the habit because you will need to drink lots of water after the surgery.  Go ahead and break yourself from dinking colas now...can't have them after the surgery.  Get up and move to keep food off of your mind.  I chomp on ice when I feel like I need to chew.  Change your liquids up so you don't get burned our.   We all got your back and you can do this!

Helen041409
on 6/4/14 2:44 am

What you are experiencing is normal.  some people will be happy for you most will be jealous.  just know that you are doing what is right for you, be true to yourself.  Do not let others define you now, or in  your new life!  You need a WLS support group NOW!  Only they will truly understand you.  I am 5 years out and can tell you the self confidence and strength of spirit you will glean will change your life.  My best wishes and prayers are with you.