Starting a New Shake Diet & Seeking Tips for Reducing Swollen Legs,ankles and Feet!

GerritGulden
on 6/1/14 3:45 pm - rigby, ID

Hi Everyone.  My Name is Gerrit.  I am From Eastern Idaho.  I am 5'10" and weigh 530 pounds (last time I checked a year ago).  I am planning to start a new diet which involves a Shake routine for lunch and dinner and then a small dinner.  I chose this because it feels easier to do than eat 3 meals a day.  I am one of those guys that will wake up, not eat anything till really late in the day, then eat a big dinner and then eat again in bed.  After watching a few youtube vloggers have success with the diet I am gonna try it.  Its a little pricey for the Powder from GNC, but I feel good about it because its high in protein, fiber and is actually formulated to help with glucose levels.   Something that I can highly benefit from since I have type 2 diabetes.  I actually remember watching a documentary where a morbidly obese person such as myself  lost a huge portion of his weight cause all he was doing was shakes.  He did get sick cause he wasn't eating food for dinner and basically his system got messed up from lack of beneficial vitamins and such.  I won't be doing that.  My hopes is to lose 2-5 pounds per week,  because I am so large I made a goal to lose at least 50 pounds before I start to walk and work out.  Being how big I am, I am afraid of walking too much cause I get out of breath so easily. 

Any tips or recommendations from anyone that tried this diet?  I spent 75 bucks on a scale that can weigh up to 700lbs that gets here in a few days, so I will be able to do my initial weigh in and then weekly weigh ins after that.  My dinners will consist of chicken, broiled or baked or cooked on a george forman grill along with steamed veggies.  This way I get more protein and vitamins from the veggies.  I plan to steam only till they are aldente, not mushy.  This way I don't steam out all the goodies. 

Also,  I am going to be trying to help alleviate my edema in my legs, ankles and feet.  If I have insurance, would insurance cover a leg elevator to elevate my feet to help relieve the fluid build up?  Also,  should I consider special socks while wearing shoes and get a stocking of sorts to apply pressure to my legs and such when I am home?  I don't get out much, other than to visit parents.  Looking for anything that helps.  Also need to know if insurance would cover it, or if thats an expense I make on my own.  I have a bad habit of sitting alot at my computer for long periods of time.  After looking online I will try to reduce the amount of time on my chair and work in time on my bed to elevate my legs with a trash bag full of towels.  Started today with the elevating thing.  Seems to have helped, but I want to make sure I am doing everything possible. 

Thanks. 

-Gerrit

Karen M.
on 6/1/14 8:09 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Hi there,

You've certainly got a lot going on health-wise. I can't offer any advice with respect to shake diets (mainly because I just don't believe in them too much) but I can relate to the swelling as I've had issues with that myself.

First, I'm hoping that you're in consistent contact with your doctor(s). Starting any weight loss regimen with the health issues you mentioned should be monitored closely, especially with Type 2 Diabetes. The drastic reduction in intake and the content of the shakes could be problematic - please watch closely.

As for the edema - again, please check with your doctor. Cut salt out of your diet as much as you possibly can - sodium will only encourage your body to store liquid and cause swelling. Keep your legs and feet elevated (even on the couch, no need for a device) whenever possible, drink water, and walk (I know walking can be uncomfortable and an issue, but it DOES help).

Best,

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Kate -True Brit
on 6/1/14 10:23 pm - UK

As Karen says.  I have no exoerience of or advice about your situation.  But whatever you do, you need to be working closely with a medical team.  Cutting intake so dramatically may not be good for you. Being so large, a less drastic diet would still result in fast weight loss. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/1/14 10:41 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Hello,

I was just curious are you getting surgery? This board is for people that have gotten it or are in the process. I saw on my 600 pound life where a patient had bad edema. They used a new medicine that helped get a lot of it out of her leg. So maybe your doctor can help you. The problem with the liguid diet and one meal is once you stop you will gain the weight back and then some. I have been there. I was 455 pounds when I started my program. I am now 279 pounds. I wish you luck with whatever you do.

Lori W.
on 6/2/14 12:28 am - Pittsburgh, PA
RNY on 05/12/14

I don't believe this site is just for surgery candidates. I'm willing to cheer or help anyone dealing with obesity/losing weight. Good luck to you! Welcome!

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/2/14 12:31 am
VSG on 12/06/12

Yes there is a forum people losing weight other ways but the name of this forum is wls forum so I would think generally peopel here had it or are considering it.

Kate -True Brit
on 6/2/14 3:20 am - UK
On June 2, 2014 at 7:28 AM Pacific Time, Lori W. wrote:

I don't believe this site is just for surgery candidates. I'm willing to cheer or help anyone dealing with obesity/losing weight. Good luck to you! Welcome!

Maybe the poster phrased it badly, this specific board is for weight loss surgery. That does not mean people won't answer and help -as they are doing. But it does mean the OP may find people in his situation on other boards on this site.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 6/2/14 6:57 am
VSG on 12/06/12
Mary Gee
on 6/1/14 11:02 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Hi Gerrit!  I read your profile and I see you considered WLS in the past, but thought there were too many steps in the process to get through.

If you are anything like the rest of us, you will probably start your planned regime of two shakes/one meal with gusto - but after a few days or weeks, you will become bored and give it up, and regain any weight you may have lost.  That's the way it generally goes, unfortunately. Most of us had been on numerous diets prior to WLS - usually successful in losing weight, and unsuccessful in keeping it off.

Yes, it does take several steps to qualify for WLS - but the steps are necessary, because the surgeon wants your operation to be safe, and wants you to succeed.  It generally takes about six months to qualify.  I would recommend you go to an Orientation Program and learn more.  In my hospital, one of the surgeons gave the presentation, and was available for questions after the presentation.

I suggest you keep reading the boards here to see what life is like pre-op and post-op.  Check out these general forums and the surgical forums.  You will see people who have had similar physical and mental conditions as you.  It's not a walk in the park, but after surgery, most people say they would do it again in a heartbeat.

I wish you good luck in whichever path you choose to follow.  But either way, as others have suggested, you should see your doctor.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/2/14 4:55 am, edited 6/2/14 4:55 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Hi Gerrit.  Welcome to OH.

I have to agree with Mary Gee.  I have been on the protein shake/one meal a day diet several times in my life.  You will lose a large amount of weight initially.  The problem is that the shakes become monotonous and you start to fall back into old patterns and behaviors of eating.  I lost over 90 lbs on this type of diet years ago, then gained it all back and MORE.

People can lose weight through diet and surgery, but the regain rates are not encouraging.  I wish you all the best on your journey.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active