aborted surgery

Mary Gee
on 5/31/14 2:41 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I would make an appointment to see the surgeon.  There may be a valid reason why he did not do the surgery.  If he or an associate will not see you, then request copies of your medical records and see another surgeon. 

Malpractice suits are very difficult and expensive.  I used to work for an attorney who handled them.  The first thing he did, after getting all the pertinent medical records, would be to send the records out to another doctor to review.  9 times out of 10, the doctor's opinion would be there was not sufficient cause to pursue the claim.  An attorney will generally request payment for the doctor's review - which could be close to $1,000, up front.  Unless the attorney feels your case is a "slam dunk" he will make you pay expenses along the way - and believe me, there are lots of expenses.  After the lawyer gets the doctor's report, and believes you have a valid claim, before the complaint can be filed, he has to present the case to a "tribunal" which usually consists of a doctor, a lawyer and judge.  You need a favorable decision from them before your complaint can be filed.  "Personal Injury" lawyers generally handle auto accidents - where liability is clear cut (i.e. a rear end collision or other driver has a stop sign).  Malpractice suits are a whole different story.

I hope you get the answers you need.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Kate -True Brit
on 5/31/14 4:36 pm - UK

I can understand you are disappointed but wonder if what is needed is not litigation but explanation. If, on internal examination, it became clear that an operation was inappropriate, the doc was correct not to proceed. 

You need to see the doctor again and discuss it. 

As for being an hour late. Well, he probably wasn't having a coffee. His previous patient probably had a problem. I was due to have my op at 4:30. At 3:00, they came and told me that my doc was dealing with a major emergency in theatre and they were sorry but I would have to wait until the next day! I was obviously disappointed! Not to mention another night of nerves. But it never occurred to me even to complain. Someone else's life was at stake. 

Scars from keyhole surgery are small and fade.

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Katy214
on 5/31/14 5:50 pm
RNY on 02/18/14

I am sorry this happened, I do understand how disappointing it is for you.  my husband also had to wake up from his first bariatric surgery to find the surgery had not been completed, however we were so grateful for his health and the surgeons judgement call. As a patient we choose our surgeon based on our confidence in their decision making Ability And surgical skill. You have to trust that your surgeon made the decision that was in your best interest. You certainly wouldn't have wanted him to proceed with a surgery that was beyond his skill level, that would have been reckless!

ladygodiva1228
on 6/2/14 3:14 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'm sorry you went through this, but there has got to be a valid reason for the surgeon not to have performed the bypass on you.  I highly doubt his tools were not long enough. 

Those that are saying sue the surgeon are wrong.  What exactly would you sue him for?  Scars on your stomach? Him not performing the bypass?  If he went in and there was something that would cause your surgery to be a very high risk one then I can see him opting not to perform it. 

I have a feeling there is an issue of some sort going on with your liver and that is the real reason he was unable to perform the surgery.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

byPASSEDover94
on 6/2/14 4:51 pm - Conroe, TX
If it was my liver, I wish he would of said so. fact is he said I had to much fat in my abdominal cavity and his tools weren't long enough according to my mom. I was in recovery when he told her. she says she wants to sue not for those reasons. however it is the icing on the top. to go through testing, even testing that wasnt really all that necessary, and to wake up and be cancelled just devastated me. now if it was my liver then I would of better understood but it was my fat amount and I was. Told to loose a hundred pounds putting me about 108-115-20 pounds from my goal weight. If I could do that this surgery wouldnt of been needed.
byPASSEDover94
on 6/2/14 4:53 pm - Conroe, TX
10-15 not 110-115. My phone auto corrected
ladygodiva1228
on 6/3/14 9:49 pm - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I'm going to tell you now if your mother sues she will not win and will end up looking like a person who just wants money.

The tests that you had to go through were necessary and I still believe there is much more to this than what is being said.   It also sounds like you didn't lose enough pre-op how much were you told you needed to lose?  Who told you to lose a 100lbs?

He could have done it as an open surgery instead of lap and you could have a large scar right down the middle of you stomach.  How would you have felt about that?

Have YOU not your mother called to speak with the surgeon and get the OR notes? 

Oh and if your a teenager who is in school and currently insured under your parents medical then they can not cancel it on you.  They have to keep you on until your 26 per Obamacare.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl