What was that ONE big reason?

thin_by_thirty
on 6/3/14 2:00 am - Parma, OH
RNY on 01/03/12

I was 27 and never been on a date. I was 386 pounds and had zero confidence. On January 3, 2012 I had the bypass. Now 2+ years out I am happily engaged and planning my wedding (in a size 16 dress!) for May 2, 2015. I couldn't be happier with my decision and 170 pound weight loss!

I will be Thin by Thirty!  ~Megan

dancerchick06
on 6/3/14 6:21 am
RNY on 01/07/15

Thank you for sharing this.  Congrats!!!  I am so happy your planning your wedding and have found someone to share your life with.  it is such an amazing feeling!

MyLady Heidi
on 6/3/14 2:20 am

My mother died at 61 as a diabetic for nearly 30 years, I was diagnosed with diabetes within a year of her death, I had a friend who had rny and it resolved her diabetes and I wanted that for myself.  It has been resolved for 9+ years so far.  It is the only reason I had wls, honestly the weight loss was just a pleasant bonus.

carinamenina
on 6/3/14 2:38 am

I have the same reason as you--I wanted another baby. I was almost 350 pounds when I got pregnant with my first, and I have no idea how much I actually gained throughout the pregnancy because the OBGYN's scale topped out at 350. I had a horrible pregnancy, super swollen all over my body, painful heartburn, and I ultimately was induced at 38 weeks due to pre-eclampsia. Then I gave birth and just kept gaining and gaining (breastfeeding doesn't help me lose weight--it;s actually the opposite for me). Developed hypertension and was put on a medication that you can't take while pregnant. Became pre-diabetic. I wasn't even 30 years old! I desperately wanted another baby but I couldn't when I had all those problems. 

I had RNY in January 2011 and found out in March 2012 that I was pregnant. I had lost over 200 pounds by that point and was still steadily losing--and I was so close to onederland (203 pounds at my first OB appointment). Had to turn around and start gaining again, but that pregnancy was just perfect. No swelling (other than standard feet swelling at the end of the day), no pre-e, no heartburn. Got to wear cute maternity clothes, got to actually see the baby move from the outside and my husband could feel him kicking, which didn't happen the first time around because I had so much fat covering it...anyway. He's now a healthy 19-month-old and I'm trying hard to get back down again. It's a little difficult because the honeymoon phase is over, but I'll get there. 

Totally worth it.

dancerchick06
on 6/3/14 6:26 am
RNY on 01/07/15

Thank you! This is one thing I was afraid of, not having a healthy pregnancy and not being able to enjoy it.  I wanted to look cute and be able to wear cute clothes and love my maternity pictures.  I haven't hung up our wedding pictures yet because I am ashamed at how huge I look.  Being able to see the baby move or feel when he/she pushes her little foot out.  I told my husband that I was so scared of losing a baby because I was too heavy.  I also have PCOS and suffer from infertility.  I told him if he gave me a year or so after surgery, I could possibly be more successful at giving him a baby.  I am so happy that you have a healthy baby.  I am sure you will get where you want to be!

teacherford
on 6/3/14 3:12 am
RNY on 06/09/14

One simple answer: I WANT A BABY. 18 months ago I was diagnosed with Intracranial Hypertension. I already had thyroid issues causing weight problems, PCOS causing weight problems, and just fought off a pituitary tumor to now have a rare brain disease. I have tried like crazy to lose the weight. I was going blind, had a shunt placed. All of this while trying fertility drugs and it just didn't work. My insurance wouldn't cover fertility visits period. So I was told either lose weight and hope the PCOS went away, or pay $10,000 for IVF. A Dr I trusted told me she had been doing research and she says the research has been showing that RNY is basically curing PCOS long enough that she could get me to have a baby or two. That was all I needed to hear, I called and made my appointment, and I am surgery this coming monday. Hopefully this is my miracle, in the meantime I get to look and feel great as well.

HW: 322.8 SW: 305.3 RNY 6/9/14. Preop Loss: -17.5 M1: -22.4 W5: -4.5  W6: -1.6 W7: -4.7 W8: -3.3 M2: -14.1 W9: -2.8 W10: -3.7 W11: -2.9 W12: -3.1 M3: -12.5 W13: -6.1 W14: -3.2 W15: -3 W16: -2.5 M4:-14.8 W17: -4.2 W18:-4.5 W19:-3.6 W20: -0 M5: -12.3 W21:-.5 W22: -4.5 W23:-9 W24: -3.4 M6:-17.4 W25:-2

dancerchick06
on 6/3/14 6:37 am
RNY on 01/07/15

This makes me so happy and sad to read.  I can't believe the medical issues you are suffering, I hope and pray that you can get them under your control and *crossing my fingers* make those pcos symptoms dormant.  Unfortunately you can't cure PCOS but you can make it look like it has disappeared, which to me, is the same.  I have the same problem.  I know how frustrating it is not to have your body, as a woman, do what it was made to do.  I have looked in to fertility treatments as well and could not believe how expensive they can be and what insurance won't cover.  I have read some research about the PCOS as well and that is my 2nd big reason of wanting to have this surgery, to make those symptoms dormant and boost my fertility.  I am sending you as much good luck as I can for your upcoming journey.  I know you will be so much happier and look amazing!  Thank you so much for sharing your story.

Catant
on 6/3/14 6:45 am

I was taking 12 medications a day and always felt lousy.  I'd forget my meds for a day or two n then really be sick.  Im only taking 3 pills a day now n working on coming off those.  i take vitamjns now but those arent the same.  Weight loss is only one side to the surgery.  There's a lot of health issues that the surgery helped