Weight Gain after 10 years

jglee3
on 5/30/14 12:40 pm - Huntsville, AL

I had the RNY On May 24, 2004. I lost 156 pounds. I have kept the weight off for 10 years and just in the past year I have gained 25 lbs. I was a smoker and started taking Chantix and gained FAST! I don't like the extra weight on me but of course everyone says I look better. I weighed 105 and now I weigh 130 and all of my clothes are too small for me. I have not had any carbonated drinks since surgery but I do find myself eating more than I did on some days. Other days I can't eat a lot. I continue to take my vitamins. I still have the problems with hiccups and the feeling of food stuck in my throat if I eat too fast. I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2008 4 years after my weight loss. As of now I seem to be pretty stable as far as anymore weight gain. Oh yeah, I have been tobacco free for 1 year also.

Ladytazz
on 5/31/14 12:45 am

Yeah for the quitting smoking.  It's a year for me as well!  Chantix didn't affect my weight.  Neither did quitting smoking as far as I know.  I quit in June and in September I started gaining a little after a few years stable.  I wound up gaining 5 lbs over the course of a few months.

Not sure it that was related to quitting smoking or not but even if it was I would rather put on a few pounds then to be smoking.  I wouldn't mind gaining a few more but I'm determined not to use that as an excuse to go hog wild.

I am sure it will happen overtime and hopefully slowly.  

I'm sorry about your clothes but if you care happy at this weight then you have an excuse for more shopping.

That is one of the things I hate to do is shop.  I have had almost all my clothes since 2011 and that's the only thing I wouldn't look forward to if I gained some more weight, having to buy new clothes.

I get just about everything at thrift stores anyway, so it's not the expense, I just hate picking and trying on things.  When I do buy stuff I rarely try it on.  Then I get home and find out it doesn't fit or it looks hideous on me and I donate back to the thrift store.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/1/14 5:48 am - OH

Congratulations on being a non-smoker!  My mom used Chantix to quit smoking after being a smoker for 40 years(!) and she also gained some weight but in her case it was because when she wanted a cigarette she would eat 2 or 3 Hershey Kisses or have a glass of wine (in the evening only!) instead.

She still has the extra 15 pounds, and is half-heartedly trying to lose it, but she has been a non-smoker for 5 years now!

The best way to drop some weight after RNY is to go back to basics (focus on the protein (especially dense protein to keep you feeling full) and on limiting carbs), track your food for a week or so to see where your calories are at (and what you can cut down on) and then eliminate 300-500 calories per day.  That will give you a slow steady weight loss without being extremely restrictive.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active