Are you kidding me????

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 11:08 am

That is sad that it's an insurance companies nature to get out of paying. That is what insurance is for to correct a sickness, to fix the unwell and prevent a death. So so sad. Thanks 

hollykim
on 5/31/14 11:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you know, we think that is what insurance compNies are for ,but it is really not. They have shareholders,who put their money up,in the beginning,to start the insurance company,and every quarter,they expect a return on their investment. The only way insurance companies can get that return for their shareholders is to keep from paying out everything they possibly can. Insurance companies are a for profit business, they don't care about the health of their subscribers. And yes,it is sad but it is the way it is. 

I suggest you check into Lindstrom obesity advocacy. They have a web sits. They are attorneys out of California who help ppl make insurance companies pay when they should,ofor Wls. Often,they will send a letter or make a phone call for free,or for a very minimal charge,to your insurance company,tht makes all the difference in your approval or not. They will tell you over the phone,at no charge if they can help you or not. Several on. This board have had their denials overturned with their help. Good luck and don't give up.

,that is exactly what the insurance company is hoping you will do.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 11:09 am

Thanks. I will keep going.

VSG on 06/12/13

Ugh, that sucks the big one for sure. I had a 6 month fight with my insurance because like you, I was below their required threshold; either underfat or overtall depending on perspective. I ended up hiring Walter Lindstrom's office to represent me and they not only won for me, they succeeded in getting my husband's employer to modify their policy. They do a free 30 minute consultation so it might be worth it to go to their site and submit their form. This absolutely is appealable if you haven't used up your appeals yet, so please don't give up.

Go back in and get your height and weight verified at an appointment late in the day, making sure you are not standing like a giraffe and keep your clothes on fully, with keys and spare change in pockets and just having eaten a snack if necessary. I had to get from BMI of 38 to 40 which is really not too many pounds in the worst case scenario but it is terrible to be punished for some arbitrary number. That is why I think Lindstrom's office might be a good shot for you.

I wrote up some other hints based on my experience here:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/insurance/4634683/Tips-for -newbies-who-are-worried-about-qualifying-for/#38538682

Good luck - 

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 10:58 am

I read your post. You really have some good information there. Thank you for the link.

cathync57
on 5/31/14 1:08 pm
VSG on 05/05/14

I was also denied because my BMI was too low and I did not have any qualifying co morbidities. I also hired Walter Lindstrom. My revision surgery was 5/5! Do not give up!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wPvRjxO/weight.png

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 8:41 pm

Ok, I'm going to have to check them out. Thank you.

MrsD68
on 5/31/14 10:10 am

I thought they were supposed to use your INITIAL weight..  Since most people have to go on a medically supervised diet, and some have to LOSE to have the surgery, that dont make sense to me... APPEAL it.

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 11:14 am

That was one of the first question asked in class, if I lose weight which weight will be submitted and we were told initial. I'm reading that it all depends on your insurance. I go in Monday to see about an appeal. 

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 10:51 am

Thank you everyone for the great advice and concerns. I was told to come into the surgeons office first thing Monday morning. Looks like they are going to fight for me. The crazy part is I was told it was the Director of Doctors at my insurance company that looked past my initial weight. Not just the insurance company itself. I was even told at the start that losing the weight helped with surgery. I guess it's a waiting game now. I will go into the office like its winter time with jeans, sweater and boots on. Ha ha. Thanks again everyone. I will keep you posted.