Are you kidding me????

A_new_beginning
on 5/30/14 1:21 pm - MD
RNY on 08/29/13

I agree with Hislady.  I know I had to wait literally 2 years before getting approved due to errors on the insurance company's advice and then because I gained 6 pounds in 6 months, I was deemed "not approved."  So, I had to prove over another 6 month period that I could lose weight and watch what I was eating.  My BMI was close, too, which was why I afraid to try losing weight before the surgery.  Anyway, each insurance is different and they drive me batty!  My sister was a heavy drinker and smoker, she also gained 2 pounds but was approved for surgery without a hitch!  From start to fini**** took her 6 months to get her surgery.  Anyway, I hope something works out for you.  Can you start the process over?

Surgery date: August 29th, 2013

HW: 247 lbs. Height: 5' 2"

LW: 123 lbs!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 1:51 pm

What do you mean about start over? Start the classes over?

AkfLpn
on 5/30/14 2:05 pm
VSG on 05/27/14

I'm so sorry to hear this! My surgeon had to appeal as well. I think a lot of insurances deny the first time. After 2 appeals I finally got approved. Don't give up. Ask for a sleep study to test for apnea. Ask you primary doc to add chronic pain to your diagnosis. If your surgeon isn't willing to help then find another surgeon. Keep your head up! 

H.W. 285  S.W. 265  C.W.162

White Dove
on 5/30/14 2:08 pm - Warren, OH

My insurance was with Aetna.  They wanted my starting weight and how much I weighed at each check in during the six month waiting period.  If I had gone under 40 BMI my surgery would not have been approved.  I was careful to follow the plan, but made sure I did not lose weight on it.

I have seen so many people on here telling others that the insurance company determines by your starting weight.  In many cases that is true, but once you go under the requirements, it is easy for them to deny you.

You can appeal, you can gain back the weight and get back to 40 BMI, or you can give up.  I would just gain back to 40 BMI and ask your surgeon to submit again.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

pebtash
on 5/30/14 10:37 pm
VSG on 11/25/14

I would try to appeal. I hope that doesn't happen to me I was told the same thing and I started with a BMI of 41 but I do have comorbidities. If you can't appeal have you thought about going to Mexico? The sleeve goes for around $3499. to $4500. Your lucky you found out prior. My insurance doesn't Pre-approve so I have to go ahead with it then find out if they will pay. It's scary I want the sleeve also and where I live it can cost upwards of 20 to 30 thousand. Good luck but I wouldn't give up. Most of us want it not because we can't loose but because when we do we can't keep it off. Good Luck with your journey.

MsBatt
on 6/1/14 11:45 am

I'm not saying there are no good surgeons in Mexico, but I would NOT go to one that only charges $3499 for a Sleeve. There's a reason he or she is charging so much less than the going rate, if you know what I mean. (*grin*)

It's natural to want to get the best deal, but when you're talking about having major surgery it's sometimes worth it to go for the higher-priced option. If you do choose to go to Mexico---and I really, really think you should stick with your Medicare here in the US---be certain to research EVERYTHING. The surgeon, the hospital, everything.

A friend of mine went to Dr. Ungson in Mexico, and hr mother went with her. Her mom is a nurse, and she siad the standard of care at Dr. Ungson's was a good or BETTER than that of many US hospitals she's worked in. Sadly, this isn't the case for all Mexican surgeons. Be careful!

A. Kondrlik
on 5/30/14 10:40 pm
VSG on 01/24/13

If you have joint pain, maybe you have osteoarthritis.  that is a comorbidity.  how about stress urinary incontinence. GERD?, have you  been tested for sleep apnea? Don't give up!

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

(deactivated member)
on 5/31/14 11:11 am

Foot pain, knee pain and back pain. But non documented because I just wrote them off due to being over weight. I will see what my PCP says. Thanks

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/31/14 1:10 am
RNY on 12/31/13

Never give up.

You've been given a lot of great advice here.  I am so sorry you've had this set back.  I can't imagine how discouraged you must feel.  BUT, this battle is not the end of the war!  

::hugs::

Kat

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

skyhigh315
on 5/31/14 4:22 am

APPEAL!

Don't give up!  Remember that getting out paying is the nature of an insurance company.  That's their business model.  Be the squeaky wheel and appeal!