extra skin

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/14 4:02 pm - warren, MI

so im 25 and going to have WLS in september and I am very worried about extra skin. and somebody told me that because of my age I wont really have much what is everyones experience with this will it be a problem?

Kate -True Brit
on 5/29/14 4:50 pm - UK

There is no certainty about this, depends on genes, how obese you are now etc.  But it is in your favour that you are young so your skin is more elastic and that your obesity has not stretched your skin for decades! 

But obesity kills. Or at least makes you unhealthy.  Loose skin just looks bad and much of it can be removed by surgery. 

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/14 5:31 pm - warren, MI

i still plan on having the surgery. i doubt i will be able to afford skin removal so i hope its not 2 bad

Valerie G.
on 5/30/14 12:01 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Being young, you're probably still hoping to one day have that rock-hard body, and if you are morbidly obese and have been for a long time, don't set your heart on it without plastics.  That means, don't buy any magical creams or lotions or do any strange exercises in hopes to prevent or correct it.  It just is what it is, and if you see a lot of stretch marks, expect some hanging.  Lycra shapers are a wonderful thing before you have plastics.  I'm 44, so my body doens't look much worse than the average 44 yr old who's birthed a couple of pups.  I never had plastics, but if I had the money and time, I'd do it.  Until that day comes, I can camoflague beautifully.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 6:22 am - warren, MI

that rock hard body is exactly what I want I have been MO my whole life right now im 5'3 and 420 lbs and I would pretty much do anything to be super crazy thin 

civilmomma
on 5/30/14 6:40 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On May 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM Pacific Time, dreamgasm69 wrote:

that rock hard body is exactly what I want I have been MO my whole life right now im 5'3 and 420 lbs and I would pretty much do anything to be super crazy thin 

You need to be realistic about things.  You have done permanent damage to your body...stretched skin, increased bone mass to carry the weight...some things can't be undone.

Focus on being as healthy as you can be - take your vitamins, drink your water, use sunscreen on exposed parts - if your skin is healthy it will have the best chance at bouncing back.

I am using bio oil on my belly, arms, and thighs - it is no miracle, it is affordable and it makes my skin look healthy, so I am using that as part of my routine.  Healthy skin will do better than unhealthy skin.

Your goal should be to be healthy - looking great is a bonus.  Bikini body may never happen, but with proper undergarments and well-fitted clothing, you can still have a great figure in clothes.

I'm 32, and have 2 kids, so my belly is a lost cause - but it is doing ok for what it has been through.  I have high hopes for decent arms, but it looks like my thighs are in trouble.

Good luck!  and don't get hung up on appearances - improving your health is so worth the saggy skin!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/14 11:01 am - warren, MI

being healthy is def my top priority and if my body isnt perfect I will deal with it but I would really like to have a perfect body if possible. I dont go in the sun and when I do I always wear sun block so hopefully my skin is really healthy. my cousin just had a baby and used coconut oil and didnt get any stretch marks and I dont have any for being as big as I am so hopefully my skin will be on my side =) this might sound conceded but im really pretty and I really want my body to match my face if it never happens I will be better than I am now I just wanna do everything possible to have as little extra skin as possible 

Valerie G.
on 6/2/14 3:39 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Seriously, just save for plastic surgery, then, if this is important to you.  Once you're feeling better, take on a second job and do whatever it takes to afford it.  There are fantastic plastic surgeons out of the country that do wonderful work, but get plenty of references.  Luck may be on your side with youth, but go into it eyes wide open.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/2/14 9:22 am - OH

Realistically, even though you are very young, at your weight and height, your skin is already quite stretched and the chances of it "bouncing back" are small.  There is just no way for the same amount of skin to cover 4 times the surface area that it was intended to cover and not get overly stretched no matter what your age.

As Val said, it sounds like to you need to start a plastic surgery fund so you will be able to get the excess skin removed.

I am also really concerned about your expectations.  You have put forth some really strong desires (the rock hard body, etc.) and each time someone has told you that it sounds like your expectations are unrealistic, your response is, essentially, that you will deal with whatever happens if you have to, BUT... (and then you follow that up with another (probably) unrealistic expectation).  I am so afraid that you will have the surgery, lose the weight, and be just as unhappy (if not more so) than you are at your current weight.  

I don't say this to be mean, but I think you would really benefit from seeing a counselor who can help you manage your expectations, assist you with learning ways to cope without overeating, assist you with dealing with your emotions as you watch your body change as the weight comes off, and to help you address any psychological issues that have contributed to your current weight.  Dealing with the "head issues" is crucial to being successful long term.  If you don't, you will likely gain some/much of the weight back.

I am also 5'3", and I got up to 330 pounds -- 100 pounds less than you -- so, although I did not have the advantage of age when I had surgery, I know how much skin it takes to cover a body that size... and how horribly depressing it can be to see an image in the mirror that you hate even more than the old, SMO body.  Please don't just cross your fingers, hope for the best, and not have a plan for addressing things when you don't get the body you are dreaming of.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active