Hair loss

catbren
on 5/28/14 2:03 pm

Hi , I had the RNY, gastric bypass, 3 months ago, I have lost almost 60lbs.  I have noticed that my hair is falling out, does anyone have some advice for me.  I am getting my 75 grams of protien a day, also taking all recommended vitamins, plus extra biotin.  Just coming out at a alarming rate, to me anyways.  Would appreciate any advice.  Is it normal to shed some hair after surgery?

Cunning_Pam
on 5/28/14 3:42 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

It is completely normal, and most people go through it to one degree or another. You can Google "telogen effluvium" for more information. There's nothing you can do to stop it or slow it down, all that protein, vitamins and biotin will do is make it easier for your body to make new hair when it's ready to. And the good news is, it will come back! Think about getting yourself a nice, short cut in the meantime. Also, you can consult with your hair stylist for information about volumizing products and ways to minimize the appearance of hair loss.

Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Valerie G.
on 5/28/14 10:10 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

This has nothing to do with how much protein or vitamins you're taking.  It's called Telogen Effluvium, and in a nutshell, is your body's reaction to having surgery (or anything else traumatic to the body, including childbirth).  Your hair growth cycle has rebooted and new hair follicles are pushing out the old.  You will soon see little tiny hairs emerging, and if you have lovely long straight hair, you will start looking like a chia pet.  Now is a great time to get a makeover with some nice layers to blend in the new growth.  This condition lasts only a couplle of months, and the protein and vitamins you're taking now will make for strong and healthy new hair emerging.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Tracy D.
on 5/28/14 11:40 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

First of all, it's perfectly normal and I'm surprised that this information didn't come up when you did your research on the procedure or when you talked to your surgeon.  It's a known side effect.  For a lot more info, go to the search function on this site (little magnifying glass at the top right) and put in "hair loss" - you will get a thousand****s.  

You are doing everything right and there is nothing more you can do to stop this or slow it down.  It is what it is, unfortunately.  Depending on your age and the amount of hair you have this whole thing may go totally unnoticed by anyone else except you.  

If you are older (like me) and already have fine, thinning hair - well, strap in for a bumpy ride.  I'm a year out from VSG and the loss has slowed down but I still shed a bit each day.  I'm uncertain if it's actually growing back or not although my hair guy believes it is finally starting to fill in.   

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Gwen M.
on 5/29/14 1:10 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Totally normal!  I'm at 3 months out next week, but I shaved my head for a fundraiser about 6 weeks post-op.  I'm curious about what my hair will do!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active