Who vomits more between RNY and VSG

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/27/14 11:04 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Another RNY here.  I have thrown up twice since surgery.  One time due to anesthesia reaction and the other because I ate dry chicken and "foamed" -- my fault.  As others have already said, throwing up is much more pleasant now.  YMMV.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

danixbanani
on 5/28/14 1:15 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

yup, as you can tell, there is no easy answer to this question.  I have VSG and have never thrown up.  I have gone too far with poor eating choices and have paid the price but (sorry for TMI) it came out the other end.  That's only happened maybe three times since surgery and I am very careful now not to have that happen again.  Last time it happened was last summer, I was at the beach and miles away from a bathroom...I almost would've preferred to just barf somewhere but yeah....... lol

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

ZaAly
on 5/28/14 1:32 am

Had my VSG surgery 7 days ago, never threw up post-op and only had a couple doses of Zofran. Since coming home I have had no nausea and haven't needed any Zofran. I do have a fullness when I am full and I stop. They did say you could vomit if you overate.

dragonlove
on 5/28/14 2:13 am
RNY on 11/20/13

I have never thrown up nor have I even felt nausea.  However, I am a pretty good rule follower.  However, hubby also did RNY 3 years ago and he really pushed things on his eating choices and would get sick because he simply ate stuff he shouldn't or way too much of it.  

I do start feeling uncomfortable if I eat too fast or don't chew enough.  All those rules on how to eat are there for a reason.  We don't all need them, but there is a reason behind them.

Like others have said, so much of this depends on either a medical condition (like a stricture) or your own tummy's tendency to nausea.

Please consider dumping as part of the tool!  I don't think I have dumping, but I am trying to behave as though I do and using it as mental reinforcement as to why I don't want to misbehave!   I figure I could use all the help I can get!

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

MsBatt
on 5/28/14 3:22 am

There's another option you haven't mentioned, called the Duodenal Switch. The DS has the same fully-functional stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY/gastric bypass. Perhaps you should research it as well.

Since the DS preserves the pylorus, the odds of dumping are very small. The DS causes dramatic, permanent change to the way we metabolize food, and permanent malabsorption of a significant per centage of the calories we eat. This is why the DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats.

Don't choose your surgery type by how much people toss their cookies. (Most folks rarely do.) Instead, choose your surgery type based on which one will best suit you and how you want to spend the rest of your life.

Just FYI, I had the DS 10.5 years ago, and I've barfed on very few occasions. I had food poisoning once, I had a bowel obstruction once, and an incarcerated hernia once. That's really all I can remember. I had no immediate post-op nausea or vomiting.

mbentz
on 5/28/14 3:24 am - Somerset, PA

4 years post RNY here.  Like you, I hate vomiting and it was the thing that I feared the most when considering this surgery.  I am happy to report that in 4 years, I have vomited ONCE.  And that one time was due to a bowel obstruction caused by scar tissue.  NUTHIN was going thru! And it was really dry heaving because there was nothing in my stomach (pouch).  Other than that, I have been blessed with no complications.  Praise God!!

HW 282  SW 270  GW 160  CW 150
msromagnola
on 6/3/14 1:03 pm

So Missy - most of your replies have been from folks who haven't vomited much - so now let me tell you my story.   I had RNY 4 years ago - I went through a spell where I vomited frequently - I would have to go back and read my posts to see what the actual amount was - but just thinking back - it could have been 10 or more times some days.  Now - it wasn't my pre-WLS type of vomiting - it was a new type - I got great at it - carried a zip lock bag around at all times - vomit, go about my business, vomit again... it was about like that, best I could remember.  Finally, my doc had be start taking prevacid.  It solved the problem until finally the problem just went away.

Having said that - I still vomit occasionally  - sometimes from my own errors - way of eating, quantity, or food - and then sometimes I just seem to have "vomit weeks" - once I start, it just seems I keep it up about a week and then stop again.

I know it sounds weird to hear about it - it certainly is not the norm, I don't think.    It seems to be my norm. 

MSROMAGNOLA
Most Active