Debilitating Insomnia 2weeks Post Op

Lexicon
on 1/5/14 3:35 am - Madison, NJ

I hope you can help me here...

I apologize in advance if the following is illogical/mangled/incoherent rambling, but I'm so tired I honestly can't think straight, let alone type..

I had my RNY on 12/23. The past several days, I've had a ridiculous amount of energy considering the fact that my body is living off of vitamins, broth, and protein  powder.  Maybe I wasn't eating enough protein pre op or something, but I was always tired, regardless of getting 10 hours of sleep. My brain hasn't been this awake for as long as I can remember.  However, it also means I can't shut the darn thing off.  Last night I went to bed at midnight. It's currently 2:30 in the afternoon here in NJ, and I'm still in bed because despite my best efforts,  I never fell asleep.  This is the 3rd night in a row. (I was sleeping like a normal human being before Thursday.) The past few days I've been so sleep deprived that I'm shaking, holding onto the banister for fear I'll topple off balance and plunge down the stairs, and afraid to drive. With the exception of today, I've managed a short nap every day--definitely not long enough to screw with a sleep schedule--but today I'm so tired but still can't fall asleep, that I'm literally in tears.  I can't exercise or do anything productive because I'm too unsteady on my feet.  I don't touch caffeine, I wear a sleep mask, I try deep breathing, attempt meditation.. Nothing works.  I have never had insomnia like this.  Was it the RNY? Leftover anesthetic in my bloodstream? A hormone imbalance caused by rearranging my innards?  I don't know what's wrong with me... Did anyone else go through this post op? I'm so tired that I have tears running down my cheeks as I type.  I just want answers, a hug, and a bucket of Ambian. 

mustlovepoodles
on 1/5/14 8:21 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Please don't take this in the wrong way but is there any chance you could be manic? I have bipolar disorder and insomnia is usually my first sign. And the longer it goes on, the worse the higher I climb. At any rate, you need to see your PCP. He can probably give you something to help you sleep and slow down your brain.

Are you still taking pain meds? Cuz that will also make me have insomnia

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

(deactivated member)
on 1/5/14 10:24 am

I remember after my surgery.I couldn't sleep either.If your brain is still running you need to start dimming the lights and just lay down earlier than you would.I used to take Ambien. If your brain won't stop it won't work.Are you still on pain meds?They can make you not tired.I sometimes take a Benadryl.I would ask your doctor if that is okay.I hope you get some sleep.If that does't work call your doctor.I am so sorry you are feeling this way.

kathkeb
on 1/5/14 1:45 pm

This is pretty common after anesthesia and pain meds,some people get knocked out by them, and some people are hyped up by them.

Please call your doctor tomorrow and see if you can take a Benadryl or other sleep aid ..... My surgeon actually suggested 1/2 dose of pain med and 50 mg of Benadryl ..... Said that the Benadryl helps us sleep and extends the life of the pain med, so you can take less.

Get your own doctor to approve it .... But it might help you.

Kath

MyLady Heidi
on 1/5/14 6:28 pm

Anesteasia does that to me, but I have had insomnia for so long I am used too it now, but with all three of my surgeries I got little sleep, very little, woke up with red eyes and a headache yet couldn't sleep.  It will get better if that is it.  I don't recall being shaky like you describe, but I am an insanely light sleeper who everything wakes.  My bf's mom just retired from a third shift job and is now up half the night, I have been awake since 3am and its now 5:30 so there is little hope for sleep tonight.  My grandfather used to say you can sleep when you are dead, sleep deprivation shaves years off your life, so he might be right in my case sooner then later.