So mad I could chew nails.

poet_kelly
on 7/5/13 9:22 pm - OH

Since vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, you won't just pee out the extra.  If you take too much, your level will get too high.  30,000 IU is not likely to be too much - the vitamin D Council says vitamin D toxicity may occur if someone takes more than 100,000 IU a day, but they are also talking about people with "normal" digestive tracts, not RNY folks. 

Anytime you increase your D3 significantly, I would get labs done again in a couple months to see how your level is.  Then you can adjust as needed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gina 22 years out
on 7/5/13 10:29 pm - Burleson, TX

Thanks, Kelly

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

(deactivated member)
on 7/6/13 1:45 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

It took me thirteen month after WLS to get off my scrip for hypertension. 

You are rushing things.  Take a chill pill and work towards your goals.  It will all work out.

TXKashmir
on 7/6/13 2:00 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I am four years out, probably weigh around 160-165, and still suffer from high blood pressure. For most, people, weight loss results in lower BP, but, sadly, not for all. It just may be an issue that you continue to deal with. Don't let it get you down. Rather than focusing on this one negative, try to concentrate on the myriad of positives your weight loss will bring. Good luck to you, my friend!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

ChristineB
on 7/6/13 4:55 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On July 5, 2013 at 9:36 PM Pacific Time, bboswell0203 wrote:
One of the main reasons I had gastric bypass was to lower my blood pressure. HTN runs on both sides of my family. I have been taking bp meds since I was like 20 years old. Well I had gastric bypass 7.5 weeks ago. I have lost 50 lbs. I feel a lot better. But tonight I kept getting a little dizzy when I stood up. I decided to take my bp thinking it was low maybe. I took it an it was 150/100. I could punch a kitten I'm so mad right now. Which is not helping my bp at all. I'm just like.... Why the hell did I put myself through this **** when it's not freaking helping me at all?!?!?! I've lost 50 friggin pounds!!! This should not be happening. Granted I still weigh 241 lbs. and I have a vitamin d deficiency which can apparently play a role in htn. I'm just so frustrated and wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this. I started a new job as a RN this week. I have been working days so I know I over did it on caffeine this week (I had like 4 caffeinated beverages today). I had also been sobbing uncontrollably immediately prior to taking my bp. I know all of this is a factor. My doctor has had me on a clonidine patch for the last month since I can't take pills. I ran out last week and his office was closed for the holiday so i couldn't get a refill. I crushed up my prior bp pill and took it with a crushed Xanax for my anxiety because I could feel it setting in in my chest. Am i over reacting? Should I just give it time? 150/100 is a scary number for me. Not the highest it has ever been but the highest it's been in a while. This Xanax has started to kick in and I feel less angry. I just wanted to vent and to know if anyone else who has had high bp how long approximately it took to come down. Sorry for the bad language and aggression.

When you take your BP do you sit for 5 minutes before taking it? Sit with your feet flat on the floor in a comfortable table chair, sit up nice and straight and then take your BP after the 5 minutes. Take your BP several times a day after various activities with the minimum of the 5 minute rule of sitting before taking it. What I do is sit with a nice magazine or book for the 5 minutes and the time goes fast. This gives your body a chance to settle down and the BP to stabilize. These are the instructions that i have from my doc. I have high BP when I first get into my doc's office and the nurse takes it but by the time she has come into the room, talked with me and caught up on my health time line my BP is lower and normal by the time she takes it. I was on two BP meds and was able to cut out the evening one.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

daubbermom
on 7/6/13 11:27 am - OH
RNY on 01/28/13

My doc took me off my BP meds last Friday, I am 20 weeks out. Chill, you'll be okay. Remember your hormones will be off for at least a few weeks, maybe more. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

courtaneyrae
on 7/6/13 2:15 pm

One reason for the high bp could be the result of rebound hypertension since you have been on the clonidine patch for the last month.  Missing the dose or stopping clonidine can have that effect.  So don't be too hard on yourself.  And get back on the patch as soon as possible.  Just a thought.

Mo Diggity
on 7/7/13 11:03 pm - poughkeepsie, NY
RNY on 07/03/13

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, but I just had surgery 5 days ago.... and the "punch a kitten" comment hurt my achy side from laughing !!  lmao

Maureen Tired of Living my Life in the Dark

smh60
on 7/9/13 1:32 am - San Antonio, TX

Hi, just wanted to put in my 2¢ worth.  I'm older-just turned 70, am almost 10 yrs. out with a RNY.  I too had family health issues I wanted to correct before I fell to the same fate.  There is a long history of Heart, HBP & Diabetes in my family.  I was only about 1 yr. on diabetic meds, had been on HBP meds for over 20 yrs. & had two stents.  I have lost & maintained about 100 lb loss, at my age this took about 1 yr, I'm sure yours will happen faster.  In the time of surgery I left the hospital not diabetic-HOORAY.  About 6 yrs. after my RNY I did have to have another stent.  My BP meds have changed very little.  All of these meds are through my Cardiologist (he is very much into well-care) & he is super happy with my results.  My yearly blood test for my RNY surgeon & my Cardiologist have been perfect since surgery.  Whatever you do, please take you meds as your Dr. tells you, you are defeating the purpose of the meds if you do not.  As we all know, HBP is a silent killer.  You are doing very well with you weight loss, just do what your Drs. tell you.  For the rest of my life I will take pre-natal vitamins twice a day along with several other supplements that my Cardiologist recommends.  Due to family history, I will always be on some type of heart & BP meds, but that I can live with.  Life is so much better now.  Stay positive & be happy where you are.  

Just Ducky - The
Meditative Hag

on 7/9/13 12:17 pm - Belleville, IL

I too had RNY for health issues. I am a cancer survivor, have the autoimmune disease Dermatomyositis and at my "breaking point" was when I was nearly 300 lbs with high BP, borderline diabetes and being told by a doctor I "probably" had only a few year to live if I didn't get my weight under control.....I was wheelchair bound with a service dog.  

Gina is a  very good person I respect who has a lot of experience and guess what...It took a good 6 MONTHS to get most of my med conditions under control....Some are NOT. I still have Dermatomyositis (stabilized and in remission now) no moreHigh BP or High Blood sugar...BUT...My osteoarthritis actually got worse.  I am no longer in a wheelchair or need my Service Dog, and I go to the gym and do weights and resistance training and hoseback ride, but as Gina and others have said...The surgery isn't a "cure all".....It will help you LOSE the weight but I am still on Synthroid and a few other prescription meds. (Was on nearly 13 pre op am not down to 4). You have to be realistic. And getting "stressed" and drinking caffiene is NOT going to help. Take a warm bath, get a massage (Massage therapy has been the best thing in the world for me) take a walk (a slow gentle walk in the evening or a cool gym). You're a "newbie"   You're a nurse. You KNOW that nothing is going to happen overnight.  Not meaning to be disrespectful just honest. (((((hugs)))) and hang in there, OK?

Warmly,

Jackie

Most Active