Meds and Weight Gain

Melinda A.
on 6/6/13 7:45 am - Annandale, VA

Had an appt with my neurologist today and she prescribed Pamelor (nortriptyline) for chronic headaches.  I see that a side effect of this med is weight gain.  I know weight gain is a side effect for most anti-depressants, but does anyone have experience with this particular med?  I already take Keppra and Lamictal, which can cause weight gain but I haven't experienced that side effect.

I am curious as to whether meds cause weight gain due to increased appetite (thus increased consumption), or if it's due to a metabolic change (therefore unpreventable).

I did use the search function, and saw some things related to this med -- but nothing regarding weight gain.  Thanks :-)

poet_kelly
on 6/6/13 8:29 am - OH

In many cases, I think it is a combination of both increased appetite and metabolic changes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melinda A.
on 6/6/13 8:41 am - Annandale, VA

That's what I figured.  I had a baby in December and am still trying to lose those last 20 lbs of baby weight.  The LAST thing I need is to gain even more weight.  Though, I sure would love to stop these headaches!

Most Active