Hello! Help? Advice?

Dx E
on 4/17/13 4:31 am - Northern, MS

I did think of one other thing...

If you can drive up to Oxford, Check out (pulled from their website) -

Oxford Bariatric's B.E.S.T. Support Group meets at the clinic on the first Thursday of every month at 6:00 p.m..  B.E.S.T. is an acronym for...believing...enriching...supporting...together.  affords an opportunity for patients to share their victories, concerns and ideas with others in a non-clinical setting – surrounded by people who understand and support their goals.

This secure and friendly environment is a benefit to all who have had surgery, as well as those who are interested in learning, as they relax in a comfortable atmosphere and gain insight into the surgical weight loss journey. Dr. King, other medical professionals and related speakers are often present to share helpful information regarding diet, exercise, lifestyle changes, and other pertinent issues.

Central MS Medical Center holds "Info Seminars" and support group discussions the second and fourth Thursday of each month at 6 pm at "Transformations."  Call them to ask which would best fill your needs.

Ocean Springs has a great Center of Bariatric Excellence as well.  I think it's the "South Mississippi Surgical Weightloss- Center.  They have "peer to peer" information meetings and support groups and offer care and seminars for people through all aspects of weight-loss surgery Pre-Op, Op (logistics) and long term Post-Op follow up.

Hope some of this helps...

Best Wishes-Dx

MrsLitch
on 4/17/13 10:21 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I would def. recommend researching all of your surgery options first. If you decide to go with the DS, your choice of surgeons will be different than if you go with the sleeve or rny. That way you aren't stuck deciding on a surgery offered by a surgeon and can instead find a surgeon that performs the operation that is best suited for you. While I love my surgeon if I would have researched the DS more I probably would have looked for a surgeon that performed it vs choosing a surgery my surgeon offered.

Once you have decided on the surgery that will best fit your needs then look for a surgeon who has a lot of experience in that surgery. Make a list of the traits that are important to you in a doctor. Interview the potential doctors and find one that feels right for you.

While I went from decision to have it to surgery rather quickly I felt very comfortable with my doctor and would not have chosen a different one for my rny, but as I said I wish I would have inquired more about the DS and met with a doctor who performed it. Not every surgery is right for every patient.

Each surgery has pros and cons and each has it's own statistics based on a person's health history, and lifestyle. I knew a restrictive only procedure wasn't for me, I know others who are very successful with restrictive only. I would personally advise against the ban as you are young and the long term numbers point to more surgeries if you go that route, But def. research the others.

Good Luck and Kudos to you for deciding to get healthy at such a young age! I wish I would have figured it out myself 10 years ago!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

MsBatt
on 4/18/13 10:14 am

You need to research the VSG/Sleeve, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch. Once you understand how each of them works, you can choose the right procedure for YOU. Then you can research surgeons who do the procedure YOU want.

You can learn more about the DS here: http://www.dsfacts.com

Most Active