Paxil not absorbing

helenm71
on 2/17/13 10:48 am

Im on regular paxil 20 mg 2 x day (not extented release) I had RNY on 2-11-13 and since i cam home i have been having the "zapping" dizzy feeling with paxil withdrawls. I called target and i know they have a liquid but my friend  is a Pharmacist said to crush them up and chase it with a drink of something sweet to get the bad flavor out. (YUCK) she said since it doenst stay in your stomach and breaksdown in your small intestine it doesnt have the time in the intestine to break down before passing through, anyone have trouble with ssri not absorbing.

Thanks helen

NurseBonBon
on 2/17/13 11:09 am - El Paso, TX

I hate that zapping feeling! Thank you for posting this. I've been on Paxil for 6 yrs and no one has even mentioned that this could be an issue!

helenm71
on 2/17/13 11:14 am

if this doesnt work crushing them ill try the liquid, I dont want to switch drugs it will be awful WEANING OFF PAXIL :(

HilaryH8103
on 2/18/13 5:44 am - WA
Oh ****!!! Are you serious? I'm on 30mgs daily & they are the time released ones. I'm having the lap sleeve procedure on the 25th, in 6 days. I've tried to ween off of my Paxil a good 10-12 X's in the past but the anxiety came back even worse so I'm a lifer & I'm OK with being on Paxil for life because the life I lived before this medication was brutal. I was having severe panic attacks at least 4 X's a week & I'd go to the ER for each one because I swear it felt like I was having a heart attack. I wouldn't wish anxiety on anyone. I'd rather be fat than live that anxiety ridden life ever again. I'll be asking my surgeon about this for sure because now I'm scared. Really scared...

I hope this isn't the case because I really need to get this weight off of me ASAP.

Thanks for sharing,

Hilary
HilaryH8103
on 2/18/13 5:46 am - WA
I've been on it for 9 years & I'm only on 20mg's not 30. My mistake..
Hislady
on 2/18/13 6:58 am - Vancouver, WA

You don't malabsorb with the sleeve like the RNYers do so you should be fine. That is one of the up sides with the VSG that you can take most meds without problems. That's one of many reasons I'd never have RNY.

HilaryH8103
on 2/18/13 7:43 am - WA
Thank God. I was almost a shut in because my anxiety was SO bad. I didn't leave the house for 3 months. I just couldn't..

Helen- I'm sending positive thoughts your way & I'll be praying for you. Paxil is no joke. If I had known the things I know now about it I would've tried something else for sure. I've heard that withdrawals from Paxil are some of the worst ever.
I also gained a ton of weight when I started taking Paxil.
Paxil has moved from a Class A drug to a Class D. If you're taking Paxil while pregnant it can cause your baby to be born with holes in his or her heart. It's a terrible drug but it works so damn well for anxiety.

I wish you well..

Many Hugs,
Hilary
boxermom
on 2/20/13 2:11 am - MI

This is your pdoc's issue.  He should be well aware of your surgery and which drugs to use for the best absorption.  Mine always dictates that I am a gastric bypass patient and need blood work regularly to make sure I'm absorbing properly.  They know their chemical ****tails and what is best for you.  Not target. I have had to change up my dosages and meds a several times in the last 5 yrs...

Who told you it isnt absorbing?  if its your pdoc, then you need to have a serious talk with him....

Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!

Boxermom
290/190/160  TT done
sw/cw/gw 

helenm71
on 2/20/13 4:36 am
I told me it wasn't absorbing, I'v been on it long enough to know the withdrawal symptoms and pharmacists know more than drs when it comes to absorption of meds. They know the rate of speed that drugs travels and if it has a coating on it like my Paxil it will be almost out of your small interstines before it has a chance to break down. Since I'v been crushing them they are working beautifully and seem to be absorbing well as I feel much better and the zaps are gone.

Thanks Helen
Most Active