6 month "diet"

Anne64
on 12/5/12 5:12 am
VSG on 06/19/13

What is your best advice for how to spend the next 6 months preparing?  I am feeling overwhelmed with how to slowly change my diet.  How many of you did. 1200 - 2000 per day diet for six months?  I feel like if I could dothat, I wouldn't be here right now!

thanks!

anne

Valerie G.
on 12/5/12 5:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I would do something along the lines of Adkins or South Beach, low carb and high protein.  It's more common on how you should be living post-op.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Hislady
on 12/5/12 6:01 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree with Val on the type of diet and would add also practice taking small bites about the size of a dime or even smaller. Practice chewing till food is liquidy in your mouth and waiting a few seconds or longer between bites. They way you eat is nearly as important as what you eat.

MsBatt
on 12/5/12 8:23 am

I recommend spending the next six months researching the four forms of WLS---the Band, the Sleeve/VSG, the RNY/gastric bypass, and the DS/duodenal switch. Each one works differently, and has a different post-op 'diet'. Since this post-op 'diet' is how you're going to need to eat for the rest of your life, it's VERY important to choose a surgery type that works well with how YOU are happy eating.

I chose the DS, in part because it suits how I like to eat. For breakfast this morning I had 8 slices of bacon and a scrambled egg. For lunch I had home-made pizza---very thin crust, lots of meats and cheeses. For a snack, I had two sticks of string cheese and a handful of walnuts. For dinner I'm having a steak and baked potato slathered with real cow butter. And a yeast roll, also slathered. (*grin*) Before bed, I'll probably have another high-protein snack of some sort.

You should also start taking vitamins NOW, and eating a high-protein, low-carb diet. Unless you're required to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery, don't necessarily focus on eating low-calorie. Focus instead on eating healthy foods.

Most Active