JP drain

missmomof4
on 9/13/12 12:56 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
 ive called my surgeons.office but they are at lunch for.the next two.houra. i had surgery monday, came home last night. i seem to have much.more fluis.in my drain then i did at the hospital. its 1pm here and ive drained about 9 ounces since 7am. does anyone.know what is a.normal amount?

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
AnniesSS
on 9/13/12 10:52 pm
RNY on 09/11/12
Congrats on surgery!  While in the hospital, tehy drained mine 2-3 times a day. most of the time, the ball was almost full up.  They removed it before I went home, so I have a clear waterproof bandage and gauze  and I've been home just under 12 hours and it looks fairly saturated.  They say this could continue to seep for a few days until the hole heals.

I'm not sure how helpful that was, but it can't hurt to call the doc's office and ask them :)  But remember, each person will be different too.  Good luck hun :)
  Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

JJ_
on 9/14/12 2:18 am
I did not have a drain post-surgery.  However my main (biggest) incision did leak serous fluid over a couple of weeks.  It is the way your body heals from the inside from surgery.

Judy
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 9/14/12 3:38 am
If the fluid is clear or pink you are probably fine.  Mine started out darker pink and went more clear as time passed.  Also the amount decreased after a few days.  I started out emptying the drain several times a day to once a day by the end of one week.  

If it looks like puss or green (infected) call the surgeon's office.  

It never hurts to call their office and ask if the amount is abnormal. 

Winnie

Most Active