Out of Country Surgeries

tamiwhammy
on 8/25/12 2:34 am - Bellingham, WA
Hi,I'm a newbe looking for some answers from people that have already experienced the sleeve surgery. I am paying out of pocket and was going to have the procedure done locally but I went on line and found some interesting clinics in Mexico at a 1/4 of the price,so now I am very confused and wondering if anybody else has had surgery in Mexico and what the results were?PLEASE HELP...I am so confused!
                                                                       Thank you!
Tirzah2011
on 8/25/12 9:58 am
Hi Tami, go to the Mexico board and the VSG board and you'll get more results.  I had my surgery in Mexico with an AMAZING doc but I chose the go with the RNY.  By the way, I live very near Bellingham so I'm going to send you a friend request.
Blessings!

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Albert Einstein

Pre-band weight 330 lbs, May 2004
RNY revision 296, October 2011
Current weight 218

tamiwhammy
on 8/25/12 10:11 am - Bellingham, WA
Thank you Tirzah,I appreciate any info I receive and yes friendship happily accepted!! 
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 8/25/12 10:14 am
 go to the VSG forum and talk to people there - many of us have gone to Mexico. I had an excellent surgeon but remember that not all of them are good. research!

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

tamiwhammy
on 8/25/12 10:23 pm - Bellingham, WA
Thanks so much for the info,it really helps
KathyA999
on 8/25/12 11:02 am
Something to consider:  many surgeons in MX operate out of a clinic, with recovery in a hotel and visiting medical staff to take care of you.  I didn't want that - I wanted my surgery to be in a fully functional hospital, just in case anything went wrong.  Which it didn't, but I felt like it was a little bit of "insurance" to be in a hospital setting.  I also liked the idea of three nights in the hospital, also just-in-case.  Which is one of the reasons why I chose Aceves.  He operates out of Almater Hospital, one of the nicest, cleanest facilities I've ever seen.  And of course, Aceves' reputation is simply outstanding.  You'll find cheaper (my surgery was $8750, all-in, including picking me up at the San Diego airport, a hotel the nite before surgery, three nites in the hospital after surgery, and return trip to San Diego airport).  But I doubt you'll find better. 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

MARIA F.
on 8/25/12 11:05 am - Athens, GA

WLS in Mexico is an excellent, cost effective alternative. However..........do NOT go with the lowest price! There are some excellent surgeons in Mexico, but a few I know of with rock bottom prices.......well..........there's a reason for that! :-(

FormerlyFluffy.com

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 8/25/12 11:27 am
 There are good and bad in any country, and I know a group in MX that are particularly bad, so do some research and don't let price alone dictate who you choose. A cheap dangerous surgeon isn't worth it.

In case you didn't notice, several of the replies to you have sleeves, and happened to go to Aceves, and they seem to be healthy and ALIVE. I didn't go to him, but have heard good things about Dr Aceves.

GreenGardener
on 8/26/12 3:34 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 I went to Dr. Alvarez and had a great experience.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
MsBatt
on 8/26/12 10:59 am
There are some wonderful surgeons in Mexico---and some really bad ones, too. Don't choose your surgeon by price alone.
Most Active