Upper GI/Barium Swallow

debbie13
on 8/6/12 12:03 pm - Cossayuna, NY
Anyone ever have an upper GI series and have a reaction to it?

I suffered gut death after my test for about four hours. I swear that it immediately became boulders inside me and I felt it going through the plumbing. That really isn't the case but it felt like it. On the recommendation of my surgeon (who ordered the test) I did mag citrate to clear it out and felt a gazillion times better by morning. 

I really think I dumped on it but no one can verify the sugar content of the two solutions that they made me drink. I have a feeling it is loaded with sugar to make it somewhat palatable. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

(deactivated member)
on 8/6/12 2:24 pm
Are you sure it was barium (pastey milkshake) or a clear liquid contrast?
(deactivated member)
on 8/6/12 8:13 pm
HI, Friend's
debbie13
on 8/6/12 10:02 pm, edited 8/6/12 10:03 pm - Cossayuna, NY
Yeah, definitely barium - I know the difference. Have had both types. 

"The road to health will have speed bumps, pot holes, stop signs and asshole drivers that cut you off... but with WLS, never doubt that you will get there."

Resolve never to quit, never to give up, no matter what the situation.--- Jack Nicklaus

Jilly Bean
on 8/7/12 12:58 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
 I've had both.  Neither bothered me.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/12 2:12 am - WA
I had the barium swallow, tasted like Malox, the tech told me that I needed to drink a ton of water or liquids and then drink 2 tons more because the stuff acts like cement in your intestines. I guzzled all day long, never did not have a drink in my had until I went to sleep that night. I felt my kidneys floating and still drank. Now after reading your story I am so glad I did.
debbie13
on 8/7/12 2:15 am - Cossayuna, NY
 I had no problem passing it, it really didn't become boulders, it just felt that way. I have a call into the place that did the test, hopefully I can get some more info. I really want my bariatric office to have the info readily available in case it happens to someone else.