NIght time hunger

Lisa S.
on 7/25/12 1:18 pm, edited 7/25/12 1:20 pm - Lexington, NC
Mini Gastric Bypass on 03/14/12
OK, I'm 4 months out from having Sleeve Gastric Bypass...I can eat ANYTHING, nothing makes me sick or gets stuck.

I am still limited to about 1/2 cup of food at a time (and I eat my protein first), I chew my food at least 25-30 times, take small bite (I use baby fork), I eat every 3 hours (drink water in between)...stop drinking 30 minutes before I eat & don't drin****il 30 minutes after...limit my amount of carbs to about 50-70 a day...drink on average 2 protein shakes a day...get between 80-100 grams of protein a day..and STILL get hungry at night...to the point where I get out of bed and usually grab a protein bar, cheese or chicken/ham/or turkey. The hunger is OVERWHELMING!! I am seeing a counselor...but still, the night time hunger is INCREDIBLE!!

Please tell me that I'm not the only one out there...tonight, I was craving a piece of toast. I was below my # on carbs, so I gave in.

Please share your advice!

((BTW...I am having trouble sleeping, so I have started taking melatonin & tylenol PM because I can't sleep at night, could this be causing it?))
poet_kelly
on 7/25/12 1:24 pm - OH
How about planning a bedtime snack?

I'm just curious about what surgery you had.  Did you have RNY?  I don't know what sleeve gastric bypass is.  Usually when people say sleeve, they mean VSG or vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  But gastric bypass usually refers to Roux-en-Y.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Lisa S.
on 7/25/12 9:48 pm - Lexington, NC
Kelly,
A Sleeve Gastric Bypass (also called the Mini Gastric Bypass (MGB) is very similar to a Roux en Y (RNY) except it only has 1 connection point, whereas a RNY has 2. The new stoma is connected down further on the intestines, which I believe is similar to the RNY, to prevent carb/fat absorption. You could also compare to the Sleeve Gastrectomy, but they leave the remaining portion of the stomach. This surgery is totally reversible, as with the RNY but not with the VSG. My surgeon's office is one of the few in the nation that perform it, and he and his partner have performed over 2000. I am happy with the surgery ((although, if you read my post, for the first 2 months, I was MISERABLE! But that is because of my addiction to food, and my roller coaster emotions. Now, I can eat anything and it doesn't bother me. I am not hungry at all until around 9:00...and then WOW...I could eat everything in the house (no wonder my cat runs from me now, LOL)

Anyways...any suggestions would be appreciated and tried. I am desperate at this point. I have been on a plateau for about 2 weeks now...and it's driving me insane!! :)
sterror83
on 7/25/12 1:58 pm - NY
 i am also 4 mos post op and experiencing the same thing.

I work evenings and usually dont get home till midnight wich means i dont fall asleep till 2-3 am.
I have a protien shake for bfast and lunch and dinner and during the day i still dont get hungry its more of a routine bc i know I need to get my protein and veggies in my, but about a month ago i
noticed I started becoming incredibly hungry at night around 8 or 9 and not wanting to eat late i asked my dietican and she told me to add another protein shake as a snack at night and it wouldnt hurt bc im up so late normally.  adding the extra shake has helped tremendously.
Btrue2u
on 7/25/12 2:21 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/20/12
What about food ...I would think at 4 months out you wouldn't be having so many shakes.  Shakes will run through the pouch.  I think you should be eating more real food and getting alot more protein that will make you feel full longer.  4 shakes a day IMO is too much ....I think you should be getting more protein from real food .....2 shakes per day maybe but no real food .....I think let one of the vets weigh in on this.       

20AUG12-8AM SURGERY AT ST.JOES IN TORONTO  W/ DR SMITH                        

sterror83
on 7/25/12 2:35 pm - NY
On July 25, 2012 at 9:21 PM Pacific Time, Btrue2u wrote:
What about food ...I would think at 4 months out you wouldn't be having so many shakes.  Shakes will run through the pouch.  I think you should be eating more real food and getting alot more protein that will make you feel full longer.  4 shakes a day IMO is too much ....I think you should be getting more protein from real food .....2 shakes per day maybe but no real food .....I think let one of the vets weigh in on this.       
 i just realized i worded it wrong on my post I have a shake for bfast and lunch and eat real food for dinner
Lisa S.
on 7/25/12 9:49 pm - Lexington, NC
Thank you, I may try that. I am finding though, I have a need to crunch or chew, which is why I normally go for 'real' food. They need to make protein potato chips or cookies (that taste like REAL cookies, LOL)
huskergalWsD
on 7/25/12 11:56 pm
I am on the F Factor diet plan, it calls for lots of beans , refried and black and garbonzo beans. I incorporate lots of fat free refried beans in my diet and that makes me feel full and satisfied longer..At night ( usually around 11pm , my bed time is usually around midnight everynight..i get a little hungry just before bed while on the computer so i munch on some carrot and cucumber slices..I am trying to stick to the rule not eat anything after 8pm.. when i give in its usually carrot sticks or any type of fruit or vegetable..

7stents (2003)...Heart Attack(2004)...Open Heart (2004)....Wls (2007)...Heart attack 2012...1 stent (2012)...Heart Attack (2013)...Heart Attack (2013)...1 stent(2013)
~~~Best Vitamin For Making Friends  B1~~~

MsBatt
on 7/27/12 2:44 am
When I was newly post-op, I found that if I didn't eat something just before bed, I'd wake up the next AM so hungry that I was sick at my stomach. I developed the habit of eating something high in protein, and 8.5 years later, I still do it most nights. Last night I didn't and I woke up about an hour earlier than usual, STARVING.

Lisa S.
on 8/13/12 5:33 pm - Lexington, NC
 i just now read your post. thank goodness i'm not alone in this nighttime eating deal :0)

sorry about all lower case...doing it on my phone...and i'm lazy :0)