beginning to exercise?

CAJUN71
on 7/11/12 5:13 am - TX
RNY on 07/02/12
im nine days post-op on an rny.. so far ive just been walking around the house, doing normal housework.. at what point did any of you start a "real" exercise program, and what did you start with and how intense? im anxious to get fit, but i dont want to overdo it and injure myself

tomtom4444
on 7/11/12 5:18 am - WY
I was told not to lift anything over 10 lbs for 6 weeks. That great you want to work out already.
nikeah01
on 7/11/12 6:05 am - AL
 When I went to have my staples out last week I asked my dr about getting in the pool to do some exercises and she told me until I can move around and do every day activities with out batting and eye not to do anything i have the rest of my life to exercise. Also you cant lift anything over 10 pounds until 6weeks because of hernia.

joysmiles
on 7/11/12 6:08 am - Raleigh, NC
I'm so proud of you for wanting to exercise. Not only will it make you lose weight, it will improve your attitude and give you TONS of energy.

My friends who gained their weight back? They went back to eating like a pre-op and watched a LOT of TV. My television is almost never on. I'm too busy living out in the real world. :)

Heal first...exercise later. Walking won't hurt and will reduce your risk of clotting.
ChorizaNicole
on 7/11/12 7:19 am - CA
RNY on 06/20/12
 my surgeon advz  no heavy lifting 20+lbs or working out for about 4-6 weeks

Glambastard
on 7/11/12 9:26 am
RNY on 05/11/12
 I was up on my treadmill walking, very slowly, during my first week. It was easier for me to walk on that for 10-15 minutes, rather than walk circles in my house. I started a more structured walking plan about 1 month out, but still not lifting anything. Now I'm walking/ running 3 days a week and trying to remember to get my strength training in 2 days a week.

cashour
on 7/11/12 9:31 am - CA
RNY on 06/06/12

My doctor encouraged me to exercise as soon as two weeks with weights and cardio for health and to help skin shrink as I lose weight.  I was at the gym when I was able to drive.  She said lifting weights was fine, except for the stomach area.  So I do the upper body weights, a couple leg things (I have a bad knee, so soft on those), and then do the recumbent bike for 30-45 minutes.  I am also under the no lifting 10 pounds, but with weight lifting, your arms are doing the work, not the torso.  I feel great and have more energy.  My body is healing quickly and the incisisons have never been a problem or given me any pain to speak of.  One day I do one exercise for each: shoulder, chest, and a combo using lower back and arms, and one leg exercise (for outer thighs).  Then next day I do the other leg exercise for inner thighs, bisceps, triceps and back.  All started at the lowest weight possible.  On the bike, I am working myself up to 45 minutes but began at 20 minutes and started out on level 1 at manual - just slow and easy.   I am 5 weeks out now so have added a few minutes of a random level and 20 at manual on level 2.  If you think you can do it I would encourage you.  I'm not a young woman either - I'm 55.  But I see the benefits in my muscle strength and flexibility.  Just start slow and you'll be fine.

Teasha1
on 7/11/12 11:47 am
VSG on 06/04/12
My Dr said biking, walking and running were ok.  No lifting anything over 10lbs for six weeks and absolutely no weights or resistance training for six months.

Dr. Sauceda future patient  - body will be by Sauceda!

Surgery 4 Jun 12 Dr Ponce de Leon in Mexico I was down 57 lbs prior to surgery.

enibas2
on 7/11/12 12:21 pm - Canada
Same here no lift anything before 6 weeks, so i was walking a lot for the past 3 months and since 3 weeks i started the gym and twice a week i do Fit Extreme, wich is a bet like boot camp.very intense but god i love it. I am down 60 pounds my bpass was on feb 27 th. Almost 5 months now and i m feeling good.

CAJUN71
on 7/12/12 5:59 am - TX
RNY on 07/02/12
the only thing i was sure about was the no lifting deal, and that they did encourage walking.. but they never really said how much walking to do lol.. id like to feel good about the props yall are giving me for wanting to exercise so soon.. but the truth is before this surgery, my idea of exercise was getting out of bed and walking to the fridge.. so i am starting out pretty much at ground zero here... i am trying to change my mindframe though, and dont want to fall into any kind of pre-op trap that i was in.. i know this is not a free ticket, and exercise is going to play a huge factor in my success, and i want to start out on the right foot.. i dont want to be sitting here six months after surgery and wondering what the hell is going on.. id rather start as soon as i can and make like its a natural thing that just keeps increasing.. it sort of feels like the walking and housework that im doing is not quite enough, and wanted to check myself against you guys.. i do have a treadmill here in the house, and i suppose i will wait for my doctors ok before i take off.. thanks for yalls input- i feel better now!

Most Active