sagging skin

chowell
on 7/2/12 12:15 pm - marietta, GA
RNY on 10/04/12
I am having surgery in 4 weeks and i was wondering does everybody get the sagging skin all over there body, I know i will more then likely get it on my stomach because i have had several pregancies and my belly already sags alot. i am currently 270 and the dr says my perfect weight is 145, my arms and legs are not that big right now most of my weight is in my belly area.  Is there anyway way to prevent the skin from doing this.

Cecily Howell                

caroletee
on 7/2/12 1:03 pm
I cannot speak for anyone but myself - but yes - I do have sagging skin. I'm not even to goal and I have sagging skin. I have my inner pouch and my outer pouch (all of the skin on the outside of my tummy). I just see it as part of the journey -

To be honest - I'm so happy to be getting leaner - stronger - and so much more healthy - I'll deal with the skin later.

And if you can find a way to prevent - let me know. ;)

JaneJetson
on 7/2/12 1:19 pm
RNY on 05/07/12
 Nope.   That is something we went over in our bariatric classes, and had people who came in to be guest speakers on their weight loss.  No one escaped the sagging skin, it's just part of the results.  but everyone agreed it was a fair exchange and if they needed surgery later, so be it.  Many have had plastics and look great!  So at the end of my weight loss I will be doing inventory an see what I can live with and what I can't.  Good Luck! Jane
Lady Lithia
on 7/2/12 1:28 pm, edited 7/2/12 1:47 pm
I posted about this HERE on the RNY forum at OH

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Leslie M.
on 7/2/12 1:42 pm - AL
Skin Happens in some degree and intensity.  Everyone's body is different.....age, length of time you were obese, what areas you carry your weight, height, etc.

I can say that I have "loose" skin.  Nothing sags and I am very grateful but still not happy with the skin flaws.  That being said.....I will take my skin over the fat ANYDAY!

I tried preventive things like taking Vit A and E, using skin "tightening" lotions a few times a day....but I still have loose skin......

All in all, as long as someone is healthier and more active, you are going to be happier with yourself.  Don't sweat the skin......see what happens when you reach your goal weight then decide if you are satisfied with your body.  If not, then you know you have the plastic surgery option!

Good luck to you!

Leslie
ShallowGirl
on 7/2/12 1:42 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
 I think it may depend in part on age and exercise, and where you started from.

I think speed of weight loss (slower is better) makes a difference.

For my face, I am slathering myself in skin creams and hoping for less wrinkles.

I lost 80 lbs before on Weigh****chers over 18 months and I did not have sagging skin at the end.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Lady Lithia
on 7/2/12 1:47 pm
No amount of exercise causes you to ungrow extra skin you've grown.

No speed of weight loss allows you to lose extra skin.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Mary Catherine
on 7/2/12 8:13 pm
 I was 59 having surgery.  From the first week, I used a system that included a exfoliant and an anticellulite cream.  I also spent 30 minutes to an hour a day exercising.

People told me that I was wasting my time and money.  They told me that having loose skin could not be prevented.  I was determined to do anything possible to prevent that.  

When I told my new personal trainer that I had had weight loss surgery, she was surprised.  She said that she could tell a weight loss surgery person by their loose, saggy skin, but that my body does not have any of that.  She was amazed when I showed a before picture.

My therory is that as we rapidly lose weight, the dead cells on our skin do not shed quickly enough.  These skin cells remain and when cream is added to them, it causes an effect like combining crisco and flour.  My secret is to get rid of all those dead cells that are forming a layer of wrinkly skin on top of the taut, healthy skin underneath it.  

To expose the smooth skin underneath, you must get rid of the layer of dead cells on top.  You cannot get deep enough to remove old, deeply embedded wrinkles, but you certainly can have much tighter and smoother skin by "sanding off" that damaged top layer of skin cells.
Laura in Texas
on 7/2/12 9:53 pm
Genetics and age will mostly determine this. Do you attend support groups? If so, look around. The overwhelming majority of us will have loose skin after massive weight loss. Save up for plastics or make sure your credit score is good so you can get a loan if the skin bothers you.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sarah R.
on 7/3/12 5:23 am
I dont think many of us escape it and loose skin itself where we have got stretch marks...that skin cant be unstretched. Surgery is the only way to get rid of it.

Most Active