QUESTIONS JUST BEFORE SURGERY

CAJUN71
on 6/25/12 12:17 am - TX
RNY on 07/02/12
hello all! although ive been reading messages here for about a month or so, i have been holding off with questions and comments until i found out for sure that surgery is a go for me, and with a scheduled rny surgery date of july 2nd, here i am! im sure what i ask is not new for those who have been here for a long time, so my apologies in advance, and my thanks for any and all help..

1.  those of you that had pre-existing conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., how long after surgery did you see relief from these problems?

2.  im trying to prepare as much as possible in advance for the return home so i dont leave hubby in a shopping lurch... any suggestions?

3.  id also love to hear about issues that you didnt expect post-op, both physical and emotional, and also surprises you werent warned about, both positive and negative.. im concerned not so much about my own issues, but i am trying not to make this a hardship for the rest of my family.. although they are very supportive, i would like to make changes here as smooth as possible, especially for the kiddos!

congrats to all of you who have had so much success on your journeys.. im so glad i can now be a part of such an uplifting group!

mimi

sam1am
on 6/25/12 2:33 am

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery!

1.  I had a VSG, but I think that the resolution of comorbities is at roughly the same rate.  I had high bp and was off meds for that immediately following surgery.

2.  I told hubby that he had to fend for himself cooking wise for one month.  He survived quite nicely.

3.  I really didn't have any issues, as everything went very smoothly.

Best wishes!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

Barbi468
on 6/25/12 3:23 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
My gastric bypass is scheduled for Aug. 6th, I plan on buying those dinners that just pop in the oven, so hubby can do that. I don't have to worry about that. I bought a single serve smoothie maker thing, haven't tried it yet. I think black and decker makes it. I got it for  $29.99 at Walmart, got that for my meals.
My husband will probably sleep while in waiting room. He is quiet like that.
I am scared, that hasn't gone away.
But at least our home will be ready, won't have to do a thing.
MsBatt
on 6/25/12 3:07 am
If your co-morbidities include either diabetes or high cholesterol, I sincerely hope you've also researched the Duodenal Switch (DS). The DS is THE best form of WLS for treating these issues. The surgeon you have listed doesn't DO the DS, so it's highly possible you've not been given complete, accurate info about the DS.
nikeah01
on 6/25/12 4:52 am - AL
 I am having my surgery Friday, As far as food I have put together a bunch of freezer bags with meals ready to cook so it will make life easy for my husband to feed him and the kids. A lot of easy crock pot meals. I am hoping i wont be down long and can go back to playing mom and wife. As for medication the only thing i am hoping I can get rid of is my water pill because my thyroid is here forever.

southbay311
on 6/25/12 5:17 am - NV
RNY on 02/22/12
I lost 39 pounds prior to surgery and stopped my metformin immediately after surgery. I have also dropped one high blood pressure medications as well. I just had my blood work tested last week and my A1C without meds for the past 4 months is now 5.3 NOT EVEN BORDERLINE ANY LONGER!

Also my thyroid meds have dropped down 25mg as well.

Be prepared for constipation after surgery, and I experienced some high anxiety with tears flowing for about 2 week afterwards. Hormones seem to go into overdrive and i had spotting off and on for a while too.

Even with these little issues it is worth it all

Best of luck
Nancy

H/W 326   S/W 287                                                                                     GW 145                                                      
Most Active