Did 6month diet. Now they want 6m support group!

shygirlxoxo
on 6/22/12 4:35 am - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
 Hi there, my name is Anna and I am starting my jurney. I see my wls surgeon on monday for the first time. I have  done the required 6 month diet with my pcp. The wls`s office called today and told me the insurance co.now says i will have to do 6 mo of presugical support groups. Im so upset because I am going into this with what i thought was great preparation and now im looking at 6 months.Has anyone appealed that before? 6 months  seems like forever!
Mal
on 6/22/12 4:44 am
 a one-year waiting period is the normal track for wls.  trust me, you need the support groups before are crucial to your journey and recovery.  They operate on your stomach not your brain and believe me at 2 years postop and under goal weight, my brain still hasn't caught up and I've been in therapy the entire time.  Good luck and be patient with your journey.  I know its frustrating and you want it done yesterday I get that I was like that too but trust me its such a life changer and there are so many things that happen along the way that you will need the help of a mental health professional.  My advice would be to get a good therapist you feel comfortable with as well.

Mallisa

(deactivated member)
on 6/22/12 10:17 am, edited 6/22/12 10:19 am
Well stated Mallisa!

You and I have seen many race to the starting gate before realizing that the race requires training in order to succeed. 

To the OP, I sincerely understand your pain and disappointment.  However, we did not get fat overnight and surgery does not fix dysfunctional eating attitudes (not saying you have any).  Regain is possible with ANY surgery, and many NEVER achieve goal.  Yes, you could appeal it with your insurance company.  But why?  It may really help you by going to support group and it certainly won't hurt you.  I know six months seems like an eternity but in actuality, you will want to lose your excess weight and maintain your goal weight for the remainder of your life and support group can really help with that goal. 

Best,

sam1am
on 6/22/12 5:24 am
That sounds downright cruel to me!  Couldn't you have done them concurrently?  Do they expect you to keep dieting?  It sounds like a way of getting out of their responsibility to pay.  I would definitely look into appealing.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/22/12 9:57 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Sounds like this is a new requirement that you should be exempt you have already done the 6 month diet, why were you not informed of all that was required because you could have been doing that right along with the 6 month diet

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Cindy22706
on 6/22/12 10:14 am - California, MD
VSG on 02/08/12
I think you should call insurance directly and find out for yourself what is required because my surgeons insurance coordinator was telling me that I required other stuff when I didnt because she didnt know the specifics.

shygirlxoxo
on 6/22/12 11:59 am - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
Yes I think I will call them directly. No at first it was just 6 month diet and then three days before my consult with the wls they call and say oh well you can come in but your insurance requires a 6 month diet and 6 month support group. I was told 6 months ago that it was diet and now I think I'm getting somewhere and boom, another 6 months. I have a good support group...in my home and after my surgery. I could see going for the months that I'm doing all of my consults but 6 months?
Mal
on 6/22/12 10:58 pm
Question=Have you done all the necessary preop testing required by your surgeon?  That can take a long while to get done since there are so many.  Perhaps ask the administrator for your surgeon if you an do them in conjunction with the 6 month support group that way you can kill two birds with one stone and get in faster and be ahead of the game.

Good luck.

Mallisa

Amy D.
on 6/22/12 11:19 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
What insurance do you have, if you don't mind me asking? That seems a bit excessive to me. Definitely call them and see what they say. Also, do you have online access to your plan information? It helped me to see the requirements in writing.

Good luck!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
Mary Catherine
on 6/23/12 12:38 am
 Definitely talk to your insurance company and make sure you know exactly what the requirements are.  You don't want to finish the six month support group and then get told that there is also a six month exercise group requirement.  

My insurance required six months of diet and exercise to be documented.  We were able to negotiate that to three months.  I went to the surgeon's dietitican and also to Curves and the surgeon's office sent my documentation after three months and I was approved.

It still took another three months to get my surgery because the surgeons were so booked up.  There is probably no reason that you cannot keep losing during your six month wait.  The better your health before surgery, the less chances of complications.
Most Active