OT; I think I want a Tattoo....Help me please

Jo 1962
on 6/14/12 12:21 am - NearHouston, TX
Over the past several years, I have only toyed with the idea of ever getting a tattoo.  Nowadays, I have seen so many beautifully tattooed women , which has made my desire grow to get one of my own.  My older half-brother got his first tattoo at 50 years old just 2 years ago.  He's into genealogy so he got a family crest representing his father's family. 

I was looking at the 5 inch long  vertical scar on my right leg when it occurred to me that a tattoo could incorporate my scar into the design.    I don't know if the scar will take the tattoo though.  I was thinking about a vine-like tattoo that would climb up the leg and cover the other vertical scar over my knee. 

Here is a picture of my leg:

There is a 2 inch horizontal scar at the base as well.

I  thought about adding little images throughout the vine representing my loved ones.
a rose for my mom, perhaps a rainbow for my adult son, something for my writer daughter and probably a sword for my husband since he collects swords (over 40 of them now)...

AND...I turn 50 this  October so maybe by then I will have it figured out and get this tattoo for my birthday.

ANY IDEAS WELCOME!! Please! (especially YOU, Bette!)

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

MyLady Heidi
on 6/14/12 12:33 am
I wouldn't do the scar, when I got my last tattoo he had to find a spot on my hip with no scar and no stretch marks, he said when you tattoo scarred skin it looked funky and uneven.  I have seen it done in pictures so maybe it is possible but he didn't seem to think I would like it.  I am looking to get a new tattoo also on the back of my neck.  I have been sitting looking for inspiring pictures for the last several days, now I decided I want two new tattoos.   They are sort of contagious once you get one.  I would go talk to a good tat artist about the scar and see what he thinks.

Good Luck

pwoo10
on 6/14/12 12:35 am - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
 Take your idea to a good artist, they will be able to design something that will blend everything u want into it.  I have 3 tattoos and looking at more.  Good luck

Bette B.
on 6/14/12 1:44 am
 Well, I'm glad you asked.  

One of my most recent tattoos (a smiling pitbull face) was inked over a Rottweiler bite scar. I can't say for sure that ALL tattoos will work over all scars, but it never hurts to ask. Mine came out great, IMHO.

The vine is a great idea, since its winding growth will cover the area you want. And, of course, you can add anything you want on to it, but think about whether all the various things will work together. It might be more coherent if you could find some kind flower or plant that will represent all the people you want to honor (a rose for this one, a sunflower for that one, etc.)

But the most important step is to stop anyone you see who has a tat you like and ask them who did their work. There are great tat artists, who will and should be fairly expensive, and not-so-great ones who will ink for 25 bucks. Remember that you get what you pay for, and you will have this FOREVER. By "fairly expensive", I do not mean someone who charges you $300 just to sit in the chair. A hundred or so an hour is average at my favorite shop, but prices in your area may be higher or lower. 

Look around the place. Is it clean? Are the artists danging lit cigarettes out of their mouths as they are tattooing? Ick. Are they properly gloved when working, and do they change gloves often? Are the inks dispensed in small, disposable cups? Ask about their needles? Are they single-use? If not, how do they sanitiza them? Remember that a tat, while a minor one, is still an open wound and needs to be treated cleanly during as well as after.

Stop into some shops, talk to their artists, ask to see their portfolios. All artists (tat and otherwise) love to talk about themselves and their work so they are usually happy to chat. Talk about what design you want, ask for suggestions and, again, ask for an estimate on your piece.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - let me know what and when! 

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/14/12 9:38 am
When I got my last tattoo, the artist showed me everything he was going to use and the expiration dates on the packages before he opened them to prove nothing was outdated.  He actually drew my tattoo also as well as inked it so it was a little pricey but worth it.
Bette B.
on 6/14/12 1:52 am
 A couple of other notes: yes, it hurts. Yes, it bleeds. And always ask about aftercare.

What a tattoo feels like

Bette B.
on 6/14/12 1:56 am

Do Tattoos Hurt and How Will It Feel? Women Feel Less Pain Then Men?

tattoo-pain-scale-chart

If you’re thinking about getting your first tattoo ever, you’re probably thinking if it hurts or not. Bottom line, yes it does hurt. But there is a lot of factors that come into play depending on how much pain is involved. If you asked your friends or people with tattoos how much it hurts, they will probably tell you it doesn’t hurt much at all. Few reasons might be because it’s been so long since they got a tattoo, they got a tattoo in a spot where it doesn’t hurt that much, or they get so many tattoos so often they don’t even feel the pain anymore. Same with tattoo artists, they are tattooing others so much they forget what getting a tattoo feels like anymore.

The pain will vary by person and how much each person can tolerate it. Also depends on what type of equipment the tattoo artists uses. If they use equipment with fewer needles, then obviously you will feel less pain. Tattoos in areas with softer skin will have more pain then others. Tattoo artists and surveys will show that women tolerate the pain more then men for some reason.

how will a tattoo feel?

If you have a fear of needles, then maybe tattoos aren’t the best choice for you. The tattoo artist can take anywhere from 30 minutes to a few hours to get your tattoo done depending how big. Having a fear of blood is also not a good idea to get a tattoo since there will be blood shown quite a bit.

Where is the best place to get a tattoo? The best spot is probably a place on your body that has the most strength and structure. Bony spots on your body is a good spot to start. Your back, shoulder, and legs are all good spots to feel less pain. The softer the spot on your body, the more pain you will feel. Obviously spots like your stomach, inner thighs, inner arms, and hip areas are going to cause more pain because it’s very soft.

If this is your first time getting a tattoo, we suggest getting a tattoo that is some what small and in a spot that doesn’t hurt as much as any other spots. It will still hurt, but if you get a tattoo in a spot that might hurt less it will help for the future when you get more tattoos. Now that you already got a tattoo and felt the pain, now you can move on to other spots of your body because you can tolerate it now. If you want a better understanding of what spots hurt less, look at the picture below to get a better idea! Click on the image to look at it larger.

tattoo pain chart

http://tatopia.com/infographics/

brandie R.
on 6/14/12 12:17 pm - east galesburg, IL
I am a tattoo artist and this pain chart is absolutely hilarious and true :)
Jo 1962
on 6/14/12 2:46 am - NearHouston, TX

THANKS, everyone for responding!  and  WOWBette, you Rock.  Thanks ever so much for this info.  I'm am saving it for sure. 

This is something that I am definitely going to take my time about...especially in finding the right parlor and artist.   My DH's best friend from college is a tattoo artist but he also lives 6 HOURS away.   My hubby will help me find the right place aroud here (so many to choose from in the Houston suburbs).    I am starting to get excited about it now!   Stay tuned!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Diana M.
on 6/14/12 7:27 am - TX
VSG on 07/12/12
Hi Jo, I live in the Houston suburbs, and would happily recommend the shop that my husband I got our most recent tats at. If you're on the NW side, just let me know and I'll be happy to give you the name. The prices were reasonable, the artists are phenomenal, and the guy that did mine had a reasonably light touch. I tend to bleed and bruise easily, and didn't have any problems at all.....and this is the only one of my tats that didn't start fading almost immediately.

Wherever you decide to go, follow Bette's advice, she's right on target.

Good luck!