post-endometrial ablation periods

wendy_fou
on 5/9/12 1:32 am - AR
ok.  i gotta be gross for a minute. 

disclaimer: gross stuff follows below:

i had an endometrial ablation years ago (before my RNY surgery, so it had to be before 2007), i dont remember right now exactly what year.

in the last 6 months, my body has decided to start having periods again.  there is hardly no "flow" - in fact i dont even have to wear a tampon at all (since i pee often & theres so little it just wipes off when i wipe from peeing).

that's not the gross part.  the gross part is that the MAJORITY of the "flow" comes out when i pee as, what appears to be, chunks of dark brown tissue.  there is a TINY bit of red blood with it, but id say 99% of it is dark colored blood and chunks of dark colored tissue which almost APPEAR to be the actual endometrial lining if that makes sense.

i know so many of us had female problems when we were heavy and many of you have HAD endometrial ablations - so im posting to see if some of you will tell me if that was ur experience when ur periods intially started coming back the first few months or if it lasts this way forever or what.

the first couple of months, they were "regular" as in coming about every 4 weeks.  but this last one (which should have been 2 weeks ago) really never came but has shown up in the last day or so (making it 6 weeks since my last one).

help!!!

Thanks
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/12 2:02 am
See the gyn...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ALESIA1966
on 5/9/12 3:07 am - New Bern, NC
Hey Wendy,

1st off I agree with prior post'r, get an appt with the GYN or at least talk to a nurse practioner on these symptoms...I had an ablation done post weight loss, as my periods actually got worse...I seldom have anything at all, but some months do have a dark slightly clumpy discharge which I also notice only when I go pee, it is never enough to even mark a panty liner and only happens occasionally...The surgeon who did my procedure told me that I might have a "lite" recurrence of my periods, I am attributing the little bit of something that shows up every 3-5 months as this "lite" period - I get my PAP's & OB appt yearly and doc sees no problem, always best to see what a doctor says about your symptoms though...

Good Luck

Alesia : start 249 / surgeon's goal 138 / current 142  

crystal M.
on 5/9/12 4:39 am - Joliet, IL
I never had "brown chunks" but I did have brown fluid.  I asked my gyno about it and he said it was "old" blood.  It sounds gross to me, but I was told it was harmless.  But I would still talk to your gyno.
Feystorm
on 5/9/12 5:46 am - CA
VSG on 03/14/12
 I had my ablation done in 2006 (maybe 2005) - it was a long time ago.  I would encourage you to contact your doctor.  I have not had one period since, but even when I did - I never had anything in all those years that was similar to what you are describing.  I would ask to be seen.

HW:242 Start of Preop Diet:  217  SW:200 CW:116.8 GW: 115;  SOCAL MEETUPS GROUP!:  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/socalhallo2012/    

Linda B.
on 5/9/12 5:57 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
I haven't had my ablation yet, I have a consulation next week. Been considering it for a few years, but with Kaiser, lots of hoops. I am pre-op, figured it would be good to get it done before my VSG (who knows when that will be...Kaiser). Anyway, even though you are having these issues, would you do it again? Sometimes it's helpful to hear from those who've "been there, done that."
wendy_fou
on 5/9/12 6:52 am - AR
I would do it again in a heartbeat.  I haven't had a period in YEARS and even this isn't enough to count as a period (just brown chunks when I pee). 

I was early 30s when I had it which is relatively young (giving me more time for my ablated lining to grow back).  I don't know how old you are, but the older you are the more likely you are to NEVER have a period again. 

I used to have cramps so bad I would nearly faint and had been the emergency room twice for my period (seriously - NOTHING else wrong w/ me, just going to the ER for the pain/flow).  My endometrial ablation ended all that for me. 

So yes, I would do it again.  (And even if I end up being one of the ones that has to have it re-done because my lining has grown back over the years, I would do it again.)

I had the balloon type done because it's the safest.  (I really hope you're not having the one where they scrape your lining out - I can't believe that ones even legal considering how bad it can damage you if not done perfectly AND with such a safe viable alternative as the balloon method available.)  I don't remember how long the actual ablation took, but I do remember I had cramping the rest of the day (not even as bad as my bad periods had been before that) and a clear discharge with a tiny bit of pink in it for about 3 - 5 days afterwards (literally like water w/ a tinge of pink tint to it every once in a while). 

Overall, it was easy as pie (especially considering what I was gaining - or LOSING - rather).  My ablation felt more like more of an "inconvenience" in my schedule than an actual medical procedure. 
Linda B.
on 5/9/12 9:35 am - CO
VSG on 09/13/12
Thanks so much for the info. I see the GYN next Thursday for a consultation to see if he can do the type he does, the scheduler mentioned Nova Sure. If my shape isn't right for that, he'll pass me off to the other GYN who does different types. The scheduler said they use a general, but I can't imagine why. I plan on asking if he would consider a regional instead. I need to get back to work ASAP so I'll have enough vacation time to see my grandchildren for a couple of weeks and then the VSG whenever that gets scheduled.  Oh, I'm 45 so I'm crossing my fingers and toes that this works. I am so sick of 8-11 day periods. I hope in your case it's just hormone dump and that you don't need to re-do it, or worse.
wendy_fou
on 5/9/12 10:20 am - AR
The "wand" part of the novasure is what would worry me (perforation is scary stuff) - but the complication rate is supposed to be very low.  So it's probably fine if your insides are shaped right!
Amy T.
on 5/9/12 12:35 pm - Labadieville, LA
 I use to have really bad periods and had an ablation done about 3 years ago. After my period would be 1 day and pretty much 1 wipe.  Never had to wear anything.  Had my procedure done in November 2011 and my period decides to reappear and I too have the brown specs when I pee.  It looks like it takes forever to go away. I don't have to wear anything but it is GROSS.  Please update me after you see the doc.  I'm at the point where I don't want it back after not really having a period for the last couple years.