SOME ONE PLEASE HELP !

He who can't be Named
on 3/27/12 4:47 am
By the questions you are asking, it appears you have done virtually NO research, and the fact that you think your specific issues will be best addressed with RNY, or even that RNY will be a reasonable trade off for you, reaffirms that. 

I really wish you luck, but I think you're screwing yourself if you take the easy road for now, and go with RNY, because your specific issues are SO much better addressed by the DS, which you know few actual facts about.
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
MsBatt
on 3/27/12 1:03 pm
Diarrhea is NOT 'normal' after the DS. Yes, DSers tend to have more BMs than do RNYers---but they're soft, normal stool, not diarrhea. Persistant diarrhea is ALWAYS a sign that something's not quite right. In fact, some DSers struggle with constipation if they don't eat enough fat. (Fat=yummy!)

How much do I spend on protein? I spend ZERO on protein powders/shakes/etc. I spend as much as I can afford on steak, bacon, cheese, seafood, ham, sausage, nuts, poultry---you get the idea. I get my protein from TASTY FOODS.

What makes you think the DS is "very invasive"  when compared to the RNY? All surgery is "very invasive"---they cut holes in you and stick instruments inside you. That's VERY INVASIVE, period.

No one here can tell you what's best for YOU. YOU need to research, read peer-reviewed studies, absorb and THINK about the pros and cons of the various surgeries---and you simply do not have time to do this between now and your proposed surgery date. You need to postpone having any WLS until you understand them all and have had a chance to really look hard at what YOU can live with forever.
MyLady Heidi
on 3/26/12 1:47 am
I will be 7 years on April 5th and I had rny for the exact same reasons you state, although I was already diagnosed with diabetes.  My mom died at 61 taking 5 shots a day as a very brittle type 1 diabetic.  It was a nightmare living with my mothers ups and downs and always worrying I would find her on the floor dead.  Within 2 years of her death 10 years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  I have not had to take a drop of medication for my diabetes since day 2 in the hospital following my surgery and I have had no wls complications.  I am still within 10lbs of my original goal and although currently I have some issues with menopause I have been very healthy.  It really was such a wonderful gift to give myself.  I was never scared, dying doesn't frighten me and I figured if I died on the table I died trying to help myself.  Currently I am trying to lose this stubborn 10lbs but even if I never do my surgery will still be a resounding success, just not the number I want to see on the scale.

Good Luck
craig35
on 3/26/12 5:21 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
 is there some reciepes that worked really well for you that you could pass down to me if it isnt to much to ask thank you
craig35
on 3/27/12 2:16 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
If you were 303 pounds and you found out that you were insulin resistant and could lose naturally would you have VSG or RNY ? can i have some feed back please i hear a lot about DS now i would like your opinion on VSG ? my surgery is on the 29th and yes i researched all this but experience wins over. also i was told i could only get RNY but i,m finding out more and more that was a lie makes you really think are these doctors in it for your best interest or for there fuller pockets. i live in London, Ontario surgery in guelph on ODSP and covered by OHIP i read that the VSG can be covered and is less complications then the RNY and DS but they say the RNY and VSG is about the same with the exception of dumping with RNY
Paul C.
on 3/27/12 2:56 am - Cumming, GA
 Sounds like you need to do a lot of research fast.

If RNY scares you then you need to figure out why.  You need to find what surgery fits your lifestyle.  Any WLS surgery can be effective if you make the required changes.  Each surgery has it's pros and cons but ONLY YOU can determine which surgery will be right for you. Don't let anyone sell you into a surgery you don't fully understand.

Yes the DS is an awesome surgery, but if you can't follow the the supplements religously then you will be setting yourself and your daughter up for a world of pain. The RNY can be as effective at losing your excess weight as a DS but has a much stricter diet.

I admit to having some complications early on but haven't in a while. I have been able to identify when I am close to having one and know the steps to take to avoid it.

Regardless of the surgery you have it will be the lifestlye changes that you do or don't make that will make you a success or a failure.  You can eat around any surgery and experience regain with any surgery.  All surgeries come with complications.

So again you need to do some hard fast and serious research to decide what is best for you and your daughter.
Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
craig35
on 3/27/12 3:23 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
 Paul thank you and your abosultely right fast fast research, i dont really have a problem with RNY i just want to make sure its the right choice i know i cannot hang with DS to demanding RNY is but not as demanding if you understand what i mean, my last and final decession is with the VSG sleeve the reason i have been going back in forth is becasue i was told RNY thats it now i hear everyone being pro active dont lay down make sure you fight for your right its your body, lol yes it is true , when i walked in the doctors office they didn't say okay craig with your condition we can preform the DS, RNY or the VSG and i went home did research , NOPE ! not all i went through the process and they basically said do this and thats it if you dont you dont qualify , OKAY got sugery date started to express my concerns on this forum and found out you do have a choice and i do have a voice. so my only concern is being insulent reisitant would the VSG possibly work for me , the thing is once i do RNY the is no turning back and even if they did you would never be the same from what other surgeons say but if i went with VSG minimal complications and if later on it wasn't succesful i could revision to RNY but if i did VSG and it worked it would be less invasive the the other procedures.
do you kinda understand i dont have a eatting problem as much as i do a genetic problem i was never  obese until 4 years ago 240 to 260 my highest 8 months ago 303 still active changed foods to healthier , so either surgery i would be fine with my choice of food and regime of exercise but if i can avoid the RNY maintance its just less to worry about if i could get the VSG but if VSG wont help me with insulin resitance then i am all for RNY
He who can't be Named
on 3/27/12 4:52 am
OMG do you know how frustrating it is to see someone here posting with kids and so much to lose, about to go into surgery, basing their choice on so much wrong information???? Holy **** I have to leave this board right this minute
Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
MsBatt
on 3/27/12 1:34 pm
Yes, the VSG would probably be a better choice---at least you'd still have normal stomach function, and it would be MUCH easier to revise a VSG to a full DS on down the road if your VSG doesn't resolve your diabetes. (Of course, that's if you don't have a "one WLS per lifetime" clause in your insurance.)

Revising a VSG to an RNY is probably the stupidest thing I can think of. Why butcher a perfectly fine stomach into a pouch and stoma? Especially since the long-term results for the VSG are about the same as for the RNY. And because of the complete removal from the body of 85% of the stomach tissue, the VSG is considered a metabolically active WLS.

Here's the bottom line---there is not surgery more effective in treating Type II diabetes or insulin resistance than the DS. None. Nowhere, nohow. It's SO effective in the treatment of diabetes that surgeons in Europe have been doing the intestinal portion on NON-obese diabetics for years now, and clinical trials on the same have begun in the US.

Both the RNY and the DS absolutely require you to take vitamins and supplements multiple times a day, FOR LIFE. They also require regular bloodwork to make sure the vitamins and supplements you're taking are right FOR YOU.

Both of them require you to eat in a protein-first manner---but the DS provides permanent malabsorbtion of CALORIES. With the RNY, malabsorption of calories ceases by about 24 months post-op. This means that with the RNY, in about two years you're back to counting calories in order to maintain your weight. Exactly how stringent you'll have to be about this varies from person to person, but it seems to me that most long-term RNYers eat somewhere between 1200-2200 calories a day.

DSers will always malabsorb about 50% of the protein, about 40% of the complex carbs, and about 80% of the fat we eat. (Everyone absorbs almost 100% of simple carbs. That's just life, and there's not a damned thing we can do about it.) Most DSers I know eat 2500-3000 calories a day, and absorb roughly half of those, depending on exactly where those calories come from. For me, this translates into eating about 120-150 grams of protein a day, then anything else I have room for. No, this doesn't mean I sit around and eat sugar with a spoon---but if I decide to have a piece of cheesecake, it doesn't wreck my "diet".

I really, truly believe that the DS would be the best surgry for your health problems. However, I'm not sure that the DS would be the best surgery FOR YOU---because the one area in which the DS is a more "high-maintainence" surgery is in the area of self-advocacy and continuing education. If you choose to get the DS, you'll need to commit yourself to continuing to educate yourself about vitamins, supplements, and nutrition. You'll need to be able to explain to ignorant medical personnel how your DS differs from 'gastric bypass', how your nutritional needs are different, how yes, you CAN take medications that RNYers can't, how---well, a ****load of things. The fact that you've come this close to a surgery date and are just now asking these questions makes me wonder if you're up to the challenge.
GreenGardener
on 3/27/12 3:23 am
VSG on 06/02/09 with
 Don't know if this is true for others, but I had been diabetic for 10 years when I had the VSG, and I haven't had to take any medication for it since the day of surgery.  My blood sugar has been stable and consistently normal since then.  
 SD:  6/09; HW:  263;  LW:  143; CW:  155; 5'5"; 62 yo
Most Active