SOME ONE PLEASE HELP !

southernlady5464
on 3/27/12 5:20 am
Craig, the best decision I made was based on a whap up side the head by MsBatt...she's right. And with RH, going the RNY is so much the wrong decision! Many doctors don't call it RH tho, they call it "late dumping". But RH is RH and the studies are starting to come out that the RNY may resolve diabetes for awhile but almost half are developing diabetes issues 3-5 years out.

Also, if you or any of your family take NSAIDS, consider this...you can NOT take NSAIDS after a RNY.

For studies on RH & the RNY, check out my blog here on OH, dates May 20th and 26th in particular.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MickeyDee
on 3/25/12 7:00 am
Stop eating "white foods" and watch your pre-diabetes problems go away. Any of the surgeries suggested will definitely help you.

No more pasta, rice, fluffy white bread, biscuits, grits, fried potatoes.

Yeah, it's a hassle, but those crap foods won't do you any good.

There's lots of people who don't have complications with surgery.  Just do your best to follow the path and exercise.

It's all up to you.
Emily F.
on 3/25/12 8:30 am
I had 3 kids under 3 when I decided I NEEDED wls to save my life and live to see my grandchildren. You can click on my name and click on blog to see my experience. I'm very happy and complication free.
craig35
on 3/25/12 10:12 am - Canada
RNY on 03/29/12
will OHIP pay for it ? I am on ODSP and cant travel to the states who should i talk to i have 4 days to state my case should i call another WLS hospital like the one and Hamilton and tell them whats going on and see if they can help me ? how far will it set me back for a surgery date , will i have to go through the whole process again ? what should i say as far as why i want the DS ? please i have been told by my doctor he does the RNY the gold standard surgery DR. REED from guelph, ON should i talk try and talk to st. joseph hospital in hamilton and have my case transfered i see alot of people doing revisions from RNY to DS , my family doctor is with St. joseph family practice here in London, ON theres a place in windsor and in toronto, i really need help with this one i have 4 days before RNY surgery date and if i am making the wrong decision then i hope someone can help me in how to approach this , if i cancel the Rny will i have to start the process all over from the beginning ? will i be making a big mistake if i ask to have the DS instead of RNY ? will they be upset that i want to switch at the last minute ? i want to make sure that i get the right surgery for my situation , i am insulin resistant not diabetic, type 2 diabetes runs in the family on mother side and so far everyone says you have a greater chance with the DS versus the RNY with higher percent of not getting diabetes and lower , commodities, please help me , i am already so nervous and scared now that people have given there suggestion something the Doctor never gave to me cause i was to believe i am only eligible for RNY then i was set for that now that there is is people helping me and telling me that the DS would actually be a better surgery for my situation how can i ignore that , the people here have the experience and the Doctors collect this information so the patient are the ones with the understand of what there bodys feel like and what it has done for them, i would expect that an addict would rather be told to get of of there addiction and it can be done from a fellow addict it makes sense ....
(deactivated member)
on 3/25/12 10:44 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Someone on the Ontario board posted that Dr. Reed is now doing DS as well.  Not sure if he is doing them in 1 step or 2.  You may want to call Guelph and ask them if he would be willing to talk to you about your choice of surgery and find out if in fact he is doing DS.
PatXYZ
on 3/25/12 11:04 am
He's doing them in 2 surgeries only, spaced a year apart.
Gina 22 years out
on 3/25/12 7:56 pm - Burleson, TX

CRAIG-you have rec'd many WONDERFUL responses, from some very wise folks, and I pray you consider all of them, closely...

I can only personally comment on the RNY, as it the procedure I live with, daily. I will be 10 YEARS post surgery next month. I have been very blessed, with my only "complication" being an abdominal hernia, that first year, that really my own fault, from not taking care of myself. Pre-op I had to tke insulin, fro my Diabetes 4 times a day. While I never will consider my Diabtes to be "cured", it has now been "managed", without medication, for over 9 yrs...

Can ANYONE promise you a "complication free" surgery? Of course not. Will there be pain? More than likely. Will it last forever? No.Will you die an early death if you keep on, with losing weight, the way you are NOW? Probably. BUT..the decision always has to be YOURS..

I'm betting you will make all the right decisions for you and your daughter. Best of luck to you!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

AnneGG
on 3/25/12 11:00 am
I don't think it will hurt to ask your docs about the possibility of another type of surgery and what their recommendations might be.

And I do think it is very possible to make the RNY work for you. All the weight loss surgeries are just tools- you have to work them properly.

I didn't and don't have diabetes so I can't speak to that, but I can say that so far I have no complications, and that my health is much improved.

Your little girl sure does need her daddy around for the long haul, doesn't she?

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

Valerie G.
on 3/25/12 11:52 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 I just noticed on dsfacts.com that there are several surgeons in Canada doing the DS now:

Laurent Biertho, MD
Simon Biron, MD
Frédéric-Simon Hould, MD
Odette Lescelleur, MD
Stéfane Lebel, MD
Picard Marceau, MD
Simon Marceau, MD
Laval Hospital
2725, Chemin Ste-Foy
Quebec, PQ GIV 4G5
Phone: 418-656-4810

Olivier Court, MD *
McGill University Health Centre
Royal Victoria Hospital
Bariatric Program, Room S 6.24
687 Pine Ave. West
Montreal, PQ H3A 1A1
Phone: 514-934-1934 or 1-866-263-4414 toll free
Fax: 514-843-1693
Web Site: Oliver Court, MD

Michel Gagner, MD, FRCSC, FACS *
Email: [email protected]

Clinique Michel Gagner MD, Inc.
315 Place d'Youville, Suite 191
Montreal, QC H2Y 0A4

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Karen M.
on 3/26/12 11:36 pm - Mississauga, Canada
And Dr. Hong in Hamilton Ontario, and apparently Dr. Reed in Guelph Ontario as well.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active