I hate you guys

tommy_rebel
on 3/18/12 2:03 pm - Pompano Beach, FL
RNY on 07/23/13
Insurance won't cover surgery, make to much money for medicaid. Guess I'll just try to diet until I die. Hopefully it won't take too long.
Tommy 

"If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic." - Dr. Gregory House

Jack_Fabulous
on 3/18/12 2:05 pm - VA
VSG on 02/16/12
You might consider going to Mexico. Lots of people on here have had positive results there.  Also, has your Dr tried to appeal the decision? 

mablack1973
on 3/18/12 10:39 pm - CT
RNY on 03/15/12
I was denied because my wife's employer excludes WLS from our insurance plan. My wife and I both took loans from our retirement accounts and saved the rest to pay for the surgery. If you had your surgery outside of the US it is likely to be half of the self pay price here in the states with relatively the same or better safety statistics.

Good luck and don't give up just yet.

Mike
"Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm." ~Sidney J. Phillips

MsBatt
on 3/19/12 12:09 am
Given that you have a BMI of 88, I *think* you could qualify for disability based on weight alone. Disability will include Medicare, and Medicare covers WLS. Of course, there is some waiting time involved.

You can go to Dr. Ungson in Mexico and have a lap DS for around 16K, everything included. Trust me, it would be worth every penny.
poet_kelly
on 3/19/12 10:15 am - OH
Social Security does not approve anyone for disability just on the basis of BMI.  You'd have to prove that your weight made it impossible for you to work.  However, I'm guessing at that weight you'd probably have a lot of health problems that do interfere with your ability to work.

If you qualify for SSI or SSDI, you'll get Medicare after two years.  But you can also get Medicaid and you don't have to wait two years for that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/19/12 1:36 am
I am old. I saved money. I paid for my WLS.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Snowberry
on 3/19/12 5:42 am
VSG on 04/10/12
I'm seconding those who are advising looking into self pay.  Yes, it's a lot of money, but if you think about it, it's about the price of a used car.  And your health is definitely worth it.

My surgery is covered through my insurance.  However, my husband's insurance specifically excludes weight loss surgery, so we are researching having his done in Mexico.  There are several very well qualified surgeons in Mexico who do a lot of bariatric surgery.  Many have better statistics than surgeons here.

Also, my understanding is that Coastal Bariatric in Conway, SC is currently heavily discounting their self-pay surgeries.  I think the all-inclusive cost is approximately $8,000 for a VSG.

Most of the doctors who have a lot of self-pay patients will help with financing.  If I had to, I'd charge my surgery to a credit card.  But with options like www.carecredit.com, you can also get a low interest rate and simply make monthly payments after your surgery.

Just don't give up!  There are many ways to get this surgery!

MyLady Heidi
on 3/19/12 6:26 am
In the end even wls turns back into a diet if you want to maintain your loss, so its not much more fun here that it is there.  And given your current state of mind perhaps December 21st will be your happy day.
MarilynT
on 3/20/12 12:24 am, edited 3/20/12 12:30 am
Not for everyone....

There is a difference between monitoring your diet and exercise and BEING ON A DIET. I rarely restrict my intake but DO make a habit of consciously deciding to eat healthy food 90% of the time.  On maintenance I eat between 1800-2200 calories a day (when I track). Yes, there have been periods in my post op life where I have regained some weight (20-30 pounds, 3 times during very stressful periods of my life) and to get that off yes, I did restrict my calorie intake. Thankfully, a small decrease in calories works!

For the most part, in my 10 years post op, I have not felt like I was dieting.

I'm sorry you struggle, Heidi.

Tommy: never give up!! Lots of good advice here!

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

MyLady Heidi
on 3/20/12 5:17 am
Maybe for you but most people here have to watch their calories or they gain weight.  Why do you think so many disappear from these boards and then come back 100lbs heavier.  Its so easy to do, really easy, I know I could gain 20lbs without even really trying but I refuse to allow it.  I have one size clothes (6) and nothing bigger and when they get tight I am on a real diet until they feel okay again.  But it is just like every other womyn my age who isn't overweight that gives up dessert and watches what she eats and then has occasional treats.  Every day isn't Christmas as far as eating is concerned.  I diet all week and then allow treats like bagels and Dorito's on the weekends.  I would be horrified if I gained back 30lbs.  I will never allow that to happen.  
Most Active