Dumping: To puke, or not to puke?

momjan
on 3/13/12 11:49 am - Canada
The obvious would be to not take all those meds together at the same time.  Space them out and perhaps take them, if they can be, with a bit of food.

I suppose if you don't want to purposely bring them back up, you need to sip a bit of warm stuff so they will perhaps dissolve easier/faster.  Maybe eat a bit of something light to help absorb the meds rather than them just sitting on an empty stomach.

nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:36 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Thank-you for giving me this suggestion. Yes, I learned the hard way not to do that. I don't know what I was thinking taking those medications all together like that. I think when I realized at the end of the night that I hadn't taken my medications regularly i panicked. I wasn't sure if I should have taken some kind of Imodium to try to ease the diarrhea and nausea? I hope that never happens again but there is such a learning curve that if it does I'm going to try your suggestion about sipping some thing warm. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

MsBatt
on 3/13/12 12:36 pm
What specific symptoms did YOU have? Describe them, so we'll know what you're dealing with.
Frances S.
on 3/14/12 1:10 pm - Crystal Falls, MI
 this wasn't dumping unless you took the pills with a can of regular soda.
nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:32 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
I was hoping for constructive feedback and support. I get that it isn't "dumping syndrome" but I don't see why it matters when the symptoms are the same. I don't understand why every other post is so focused on making sure I understand that this isn't dumping syndrome?

Jackie McGee
on 3/16/12 12:44 am - PA
I imagine it's because you titled the post "Dumping: To puke or not to puke?" and those of us who dump want you to understand the difference.

No hard feelings intended. I know I for one am not trying to be rude.

You took too many things at once - and regardless of the type of surgery you've had, your new stomach is extremely sensitive. Immediately post my WLS, too many pills (ugh, I hate vitamins) at one time made me sick, too, but it was never dumping - it was just aggravating an area that had recently undergone a serious surgery - and I did throw up in order to feel better because I hate being nauseous.

Hope you feel better and that you've learned to take one pill at a time :)

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

ProshopperLinda
on 3/15/12 1:47 pm - PA
 OK...read that twice and I finally figured out what you were saying. Too many meds together at one time - interactions probably caused it. Sweating, dizziness, nausated, and sick to your stomach feeling maybe....I'd have either eaten yogurt, drank milk, or lots of water so I'd be able to throw up. The only problem is if you're getting those feelings you're probably digesting the pills and it's too late. I've done it before (twice -yes- twice) and just had to ride it out sitting and watching TV because the room was spinning too much to lay down until it finally lessened enough to go to bed. Bed was spinning when I tried...8 days after surgery would be too soon to be eating though....don't know what else you could have done except learn from the mistake....Good luck.       Linda  
nicoleista
on 3/15/12 1:55 pm - MI
VSG on 03/05/12
Thank-you so much for your post, very helpful!  I'm scared to take my medications now but I have been re-introducing them one at a time and cutting the dose in half to take twice a day rather then all at once. This change in diet requires a lot of mindfulness! It can be exhausting but over all I have been very happy with the surgery. I just want to be prepard if and likely when it happens again. I've always benefited from having tools in my belt prior to such a mini crisis as this, but I felt very powerless going through it. It was such a gross aweful feeling. Going to try not to let it happen again!

ProshopperLinda
on 3/15/12 4:53 pm - PA
 Actually , I cut my meds in half and find I get much better control of my depression that I used to. I'm further out from surgery than you are...but after getting my pills "stuck" I reverted to the old way of breaking up the pills really helps! Good luck and hopefully that won't happen again. The issue with the Imodium though - I wouldn't have thought over-medicated would cause that problem - maybe it was something else adding to your problem. Don't want to worry you unless you've had diarrhea before from meds...I'm 16 months and still making mistakes - don't worry - you're normal...(grin)...                      Linda