b6

Patty M.
on 12/29/11 5:14 am
what does an elevated vitamin b6 level mean and any side affects from it being high? Also can we take extended release medications? I never heard we couldn't but I thought someone posted that we can't and if not what is the reasoning behind it? Thanks in advance.

Happy new year

Patty
poet_kelly
on 12/29/11 6:42 am - OH
How elevated is it?

The issue with extended release meds is that they are designed to be absorbed over 12 to 24 hours.  Since you no longer have a pyloric valve and part of your intestine has been bypassed, the pill won't stay in your system that long.  Therefore you'll only absorb part of it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

FLJeepGirl
on 12/29/11 6:44 am
I'm not sure about your b6 question (check out the RNY Forum - there are several veteran vitamin gurues on there)...but I may be able to help you with the extended release.  I tax nexium for acid reduction and I do know it is extended release.  We, however, cannot take anything containing NSAIDs (a lot come in extended release forms).  Definately check with your pharmacist and/or doctor if you have any doubts.  Happy New Year to you as well!
                      Leslie
       Lap-Band 4.11.08                                     RNY Revision 8.1.11
       HW 276/ SW 259/ LW 219                       HW 283/ CW 218

Patty M.
on 12/29/11 7:46 am
thank You for replying, my vitamin  b6 is 31.0 it is supposed to be 21 so I was just wondering about that. As for the extended release I will call my Pharmacist and check it out. Thank you too all and again Happy new Year and be safe.
                                    Patty
Medley411
on 12/29/11 8:41 am
Anyone who has bypassed a great part of the intestines should not take extended release medication.  Our digestive system is not able to break down the capsule or tablets fast enough. 
Time released medications are manufactured to dissolve a certain amount over 12 hours. Often you will not be able to get the correct dosage from either capsule or tablets.
Our stomachs have reduced amounts of digestive juices that also assist in the break down of the medication.  Many people who have WLS also take medication to reduce acid produced in the stomach which can compound the problem.
Most medications have standard release formulas.  Some of my meds were adjusted so I took them 3 times a day.  Dosages were adjusted so I was able to get the right amounts for me.  It could take some time and monitoring to get your dosages correct.
You should also be aware of taking over the counter meds.  You should adjust everything such as NyQuil. I don't think it dangerous, but the first dose I had knocked me out, I easily cut my dose in half and have the same efficacy.

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/11 10:35 am - MD
 I have peripheral neuropathy caused by a B-Vitamin deficiency. I was doing some research and found that too high of a level of B-6 can actually cause nerve damage. They caution people with my condition to be careful about B complex because it may raise B-6 level and make the situation worse.
Ladytazz
on 12/29/11 11:42 am
My lab has different ranges apparently but these are my last two results.

Standard Range 20.0-125.0 nmol/L
1/20/2011 Specimen unsatisfactory.
2/3/2011 161.7
7/19/2011 135.9

As you can see, it was very high in February and it dropped down quite a bit by July.  My NP wasn't concerned about it.  She said that you peed it out but others say you don't.  Anyway, she just had me cut back on my B complex to every other day.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active