Can't get the surgery if over 50+ BMI

wljsransom
on 12/23/11 4:45 am - AL
Ft Jackson sc does the sleeve. Dr tribble does the RNY. Tricare does cover it. that is what I have done. tricare covered everything
ericklein
on 12/22/11 1:18 pm - Mission Viejo, CA
So sorry your first RNY was botched.
What would you attribute that to? (surgeon inexperience?).
Any luck with insurance paying for your revision? If so, did they make you work hard to document associated health issues?
gak
on 12/22/11 1:28 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
 My first surgery was NOT a RNY, It was a DS by a doc who was highly spoken of here. I SHOULD of checked him out better. Oops my mistake... I fixed it.

I fought insurance and YES they paid for the revision with Dr John Maguire, who is a vetted DS doc. People need to learn to fight these insurance companies. I have to thank Diana C for helping me with that !  It was not horrid to doument once it was figured out what needed to be documented. 

I try to point people to the best surgical outcome as I have been thru a ton and now healthy, but it took many years, instead of the normal year or two for most virgin surgeries.  I have never understood why people want to remove the pyeloric valve and cause themselves to dump.. It is not anatomically proper for the body to do this. With the DS the body works as nature intended, keeping the pyloric valve functioning naturally and correcting the messed up metabolism we have lived with for years, yet we lose weight and become healthy and lose usually all our meds for diabeted and high blood pressure etc. 

Sure tweaking is needed but the DS is so much better than the RNY when done by a doc with the proper experience. 

My .02 worth !  

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

ericklein
on 12/22/11 1:40 pm - Mission Viejo, CA
Only 2 cents? Geez/Darn... guess I have to earn better....

2 years... 7 months (?)  post revision... congrats!
What do you think of the clinical/behavioral reasoning of all the RNY folk who praise dumping as an explicitly intended benefit of WLS?  (I've heard, heart felt, frtom patient and surgeon alike).
Also, do you know if history of reflux (pre any WLS) is relevent re best surgery type?
Also, with the DS, any experience with any good/best quality postop nutrition aides?

I really like your self-directed confidence.
Thanks for sharing.
gak
on 12/22/11 1:55 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
 A benefit to dumping ?   ! I think that is B.S !  If they have eating issues, they need to be addressed and they need to be able to eat healthy and NOT dump after surgery.

Dumping causes more complications nutritionally post-op than lack of vits etc.

Many People still eat poorly post RNY ... because they "know they dump" and that is their saving grace. That is not being healthy ! That is working around a problem that needs to be addressed. They need to eat properly. I have have also noticed over the years most RNY'er and some DS'ers do not get proper vitamin regime. Fortunately a lot of vets out there try and help. There is poor follow up with so many WLS docs, it is really sad. 

I ran into an old friend this past year and was pleased to see he had lost a lot of weight. He was shocked at my weight loss. So I started talking vitamins. I shocked at how little he took a day. He also had that gray skin look to him. I have steered him to a better regime, he has gotten proper labs and is doing much better now. He was stunned none of his docs even knew how to do post op care . His wife is also thrilled to have her old hubby back in spirit and feeling great again. She said it has been a long time since he felt this good.. He was malnourished and vitamin deficient, as no one explained to him what had to be done post op. I see this happen more with RNY than DS. Not sure why exactly, but I have my theories.. and I have written a book and I have an early morning.. but this post got my attention tonight . 

If people are going to have WLS, they not only need a vetted doc, but wonderful follow up advice on labs and vitamins, etc. and how to adjust and how to track them and where they should be. Vitalady and Vitaguy have helped tons of people reach this goal as well in conjunction with many others. 

Ginger<><  

ericklein
on 12/22/11 1:19 pm - Mission Viejo, CA
Also - thanks for posting those links -- great to share resources!
gak
on 12/22/11 1:32 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
 Yes, there are a ton of resources out there... I have more when I have time. Very busy and not as active as I would like to be 

Ginger<><  

Valerie G.
on 12/27/11 9:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I know that Wright Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio has a DS surgeon on base...or they did a couple years ago.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hrford
on 12/25/11 3:11 am
VSG on 03/19/12
 Tricare Prime only covers the RNY and lapband procedures.  If you go to a military treatment facility (MTF) you may get the VSG (that is how I'm getting it at Bethesda).  Tricare will not cover the VSG until Medicare does.

HW: 270 SW: 234.4 CW: 135.0 1stGW:149 (GOAL MET)afreshstart-hreneeh.blogspot.com/
1st 5k: 5/12/12 44:55  PR 4miles: 12/31/2012 35:49

ericklein
on 12/22/11 8:56 am - Mission Viejo, CA
Here was someone local to you posting a few months ago on similar. I did a search on "tricare sc" in the search field.

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/4429497/Who-has-Tricare-Prime -and-advice/
Most Active