pain under rib cage

Patty M.
on 12/22/11 4:48 am

I am having pain under the center of my breast bone, it feels like a burning pain and if I eat crackers it goes away temorarily well its justs feels better. What are the signs of an ulcer. If I eat alittle something it subsides but it comes back a few minutes later. Any advice appreciated. Almost feels like acid reflux but no gas or anything like that.

thank you

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 4:51 am
It may be an ulcer because the pain is temporarily exstinguished with eating bland food.  Have you been taking things like Motri, drinking alcohol, lots of soda?
Patty M.
on 12/22/11 5:05 am
I have taken motrin in the past but not in awhile.Diet soda once inawhile but I never even drink a half a can really don't care for it much anymore and no too alcohol. Thank You for responding and also I am 3 plus yrs out. I can still get them?

Thanks Patty

(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 5:18 am
People can always get ulcers Patty.  Have you tried taking an anti-gas pill (not an antacid)?  Also take just an antacid if the anti-gas one doesn't work.  I started getting sharp pains in that same spot (not burning) and I took some simethicone and it worked wonders.  That might help you learn if it is gas or indigestion.  If it is indigestion, and it doesn't readily respond to an antacid or a PPI like Prilosec, see a doctor!! :)

And first, do you have any history of heart disease or does the pain radiate?  Let's not ignore something potentially far more serious!

Wishing you the best,
Patty M.
on 12/22/11 5:35 am
does not matter what I eat. I have no history of heart disease and just last week had an EKG because of the Meds I am on for ADHD and all was fine. I have never tried prilosec or anything else. This Med is not making me feel too well but been on it like 4 months.What do they do to see if its an ulcer? Thanks for Your time.
(deactivated member)
on 12/22/11 7:31 am
To find out if it is an ulcer they can do an upper GI or they can do an endoscopy.  Many of the ADHD meds totally curb hunger.  Are you eating enough?

Wishing you well!

Miss_Kitty
on 12/22/11 7:28 am - New Bedford, MA
I have symptoms like that quite often and my GI doc said it could be acid reflux. I take Previcid for it. It is kind of expensive, but I usualy find relief after 1 dose. I also try to stay away from soda or anything that is bubbly or even orange juice and tomato sauce. Anything that is acidic, or bubbly seems to do me in. But try the Previcid. Hope that helps.

Do you see the glass as half empty or half full? I say, what difference does it make--I paid for a full glass,so either way I am getting jipped!!!

Patty M.
on 12/22/11 7:45 am

thank you all for your responses. I will try the prevacid. The ADHD med does curb my appetite but not the way to go. I think it is making me have a cough which I think is a tic just started to notice it because it is becoming an aggravation more than anything. The side effects is tics not sure if this is a form of a tic but thinking it is. If my pain persists I will call my surgeon and see what he says. Merry Christmas to everyone. Have a safe and happy New year!!

Patty

Hattie T.
on 12/22/11 7:47 am - Denver, CO
Hi,
I had the same thing for several years and dealt with it using Prilosec.  HOWEVER! From my pre-op blood tests last month, it was discovered that I had the H Pylori infection.  I think that is correct spelling.  Anyway, it is an infection of the gastric system that required agressive antibiotic treatment.  Don't know how I got it, but now that it is gone, I no longer have the symptoms you describe, and I can now live without Prilosec.  Hope this helps. 

Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190