company

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 12:14 pm - MA
Again.. it's not EVERYONE'S opinion. It was a comment that talked to me like I was a piece of **** of thinking the way I do. That's what I found to be judgmental...

It's not what you say, it's how you say it. I understand that there is no tone when typing, However I the attitude was so strong from this person it was practically jumping out of my computer screen in my face.

That is all.

strawberry28
on 11/30/11 7:22 pm - somewhere, MD
I think your expectations of others are unreasonable. Temptations and the inability to control everything around you is " life". WLS won't help you with that. That's my point. Have a plan to deal with these things for the future so you don't turn to self destructive eating, or get so upset by the things you can not control.

God luck
SW= 268     
CW= 145  ***GOAL REACHED on Christmas Day 2010****             
GW=145
5'6"       BMI= 23
 LapBand 3/2006 to Revision DS 12/2009
Get the FACTS about the Duodenal Switch at www.DSFACTS.com or http://www.duodenalswitch.com/

Extended Tummy Tuck, BL/BA scheduled for 11/18/11 Dr. Larry Lickstein          

provolisa
on 11/30/11 10:55 am - Provo, UT
 Is disagreeing with you equal to judging you? I really tried to be completely courteous. Like I said, the thread made me think.

I'll tell you why. I live in a nursing home. The dietary menu consists of LOTS of carbs, and often the protein is mixed with carbs. (for example, as in tuna pasta salad) I have to pick and choose a diet out of that that consists entirely of protein foods and non-starchy vegetables. I'm here to tell you, it isn't always easy! This thread got me thinking about how, once I have my surgery, I had better have a little refrigerator in my room that holds protein and veggie foods for when I can't find what I need on the menu. (For example, the closest thing to a veggie tonight was pickle spears!)

Nobody is going to get the right foods available without fail, except me. It is only when I don't have the right foods available, that I am tempted to cheat. Tonight, they had pre-made tuna melts, tater tots, pickle spears, and very noodley homemade chicken noodle soup. So I had a 2 tuna melst and 2 pickle spears. I had intended to pick the tuna melts apart and just eat the tuna and cheese, but they were too melted and hopelessly gooey that I just gave up and ate the whole things. I overate 4 slices of bread!

Now, who is responsible for my situation? The nursing home, that needs better menus? Or me, for not having a backup plan? I was lazy and unprepared, and I overate. I can get away with it now, but after my surgery (on the 14th of December) it will make me sick!

That is why I disagree with you. I feel that your situation is similar. You have non-program food around, and you want it to go away. Well, the world, like my nursing home, doesn't work that way. We have to be fully responsible for our food choices, or else we have no business having weight loss surgery.

Lisa

Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 11:33 am - MA
Lisa I wasn't speaking about you, I was talking about the people who talked to me like I was a piece of crap.
DianaRR
on 11/30/11 11:31 am - CA
Maybe you are having trouble controlling your eating because you are annoyed by the inconsiderate houseguests who are fighting and making messes. It might not just be 'because the food it there'--it might be emotional eating.
I hope you have talked to them about how to be good guests. You get to set rules to your house.
I guess I am not as generous as you--if my best friend needed a place to live, I would take them in--but not their boyfriend. The boyfriend can go to his best friend's house. Then you wouldn't have the fighting around you.

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 11:44 am - MA
Yes, yes and yes. It's not so much about the food being in there. Yes it annoyed me because my friend knows I don't allow soda in my house, but it was more the over all stress. I don't eat that food.. That's not the problem. The pasta.. yes I had to much, but it was a big deal. I didn't gain any weight. I was stressed out over all and trying to get advice on how to deal with it.

I think because it is my home I should be respected more when it comes to what people bring into my home as a guest who would other wise be on the street. It's not going to kill them to go without ice cream while in my home. 

Its my house, not the public. My little world. Where for a portion of my time I don't have to be faced with temptations of the outside my walls world.

I think it's that the the other comments didn't get. OH WELL!

mini_me_ now
on 11/30/11 12:39 pm

I think they got it, but i think you expect alot of  Your best friend, I dont expect my husband or my daughter or my grandkids to go with out even if they are staying in my home...

If my best friend was staying and she wanted ice cream, cake, pie, soda or what ever id certainly not ask her not to, infact id go shopping to make sure there was the stuff she liked to eat and have it in the house for her, because she is my best friend ...  Your best friend is not only staying with you for a  week as a guest. but you also want her to be there for when you have your surgery, but the deal is as long as she gives up eating things she likes? 

your right its not going to kill them to go without, but would your best friend demand the same of you if tables were turned??
Linda     5".4

6lbs under goal weight
                  Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 12:43 pm - MA
Actually she would. I am not demanding anything. You want to go to the store and buy your house guest pie? GREAT! We are two different people with very different views of things. Doesn't mean either of us or right or wrong.
provolisa
on 11/30/11 1:19 pm - Provo, UT
 I think you just want to hear that you are right, and any other answer is "judging you" from people who supposedly think they are "perfect."

You posted this on a board. What did you expect? Everyone to automatically look at it the same way you do? 

You have gotten very defensive about what you wrote, when people have been simply stating their opinions. That is what we DO on public boards. Some people are more blunt than others, for sure, but all of the people who disagree with you are simply trying to alert you to a fact of life: There will be food you can't control out there in the world, so you might as well get used to it, instead of putting the burden on your best friend to change herself. 

If you are the one having WLS, then YOU are the one wanting to change, right? So why put it on your best friend to change FOR you?

I don't see what is so threatening about that simple point of view~!

I repeat, if you don't get it, then why are you going to have WLS???

Lisa

Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

goodkel
on 11/30/11 5:06 pm
I think what people are forgetting here is that you are a PRE-OP without the tools we have to fight temptation. Not to mention the added stress of the combination holiday season/pre-surgery freak time.

Yes, you will eventually need to deal with other people around you eating foods that won't work for you. But especially right now and especially in your home, your sanctuary you have the right to demand what YOU need.

Give them a reasonable time frame to finish what is already in the house. Then throw out anything still there and any new junk that comes in--straight to the outside trash.

If they are this inconsiderate now, please tell me that they won't be around while you are recovering from your surgery....
Check out my profile: http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/goodkel/
Or click on my name
DS SW 265 CW 120 5'7"