company

Valerie G.
on 11/30/11 2:40 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
For heaven's sake, take some personal responsibility here. They are under no control of your own eating.  No matter what's in the fridge, you make your own choices, stress or not.  Don't put the blame on others.  There will be much more in your future that will cause you stress and heaven forbid you ever have a family that wants to eat something other than two peas and a celery stick. 

Are you always going to blame others for your obesity?

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 2:45 am - MA
I think you misunderstood.. These are people who are NOT my family. I didn't say I ate the junk food, I said I had a bit to much pasta. I didn't say it was there fault.. I said I was stressed. I don't mind people's opinions.. that's why I posted... But I don't need someone talking to me like a piece of **** when they clearly didn't understand. I would NOT go to someone's house who I am staying with, knowing they are eating healthy and is going to have Gastric in a month and bring junk food! 

I don't blame other people for me being over weight. Not once... so please stop assuming things.
(deactivated member)
on 11/30/11 4:34 am - Newark, DE
Laurie,

You have received a lot of good advice here.  I would like to add, that PLEASE consider to have this people out of your house at least one week before you have your surgery, and do not let them come back afterards.  You are going to need time and peace to recover, to relearn ways to eat, you will need to relax, and from what you desribe it seems that your place is like a mad house now. 
From my standards, that people are not yout friends, they are using you with no consideration nor respect; like you don't even exist.  You should not allow that. and you do not need that, specially after your WLS. 
Best for you with your WLS results, weight loss and regaining your health.

Peace and good.

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 4:38 am - MA
Thanks so much. It's really not my best friend it's more her boyfriend. I did tell him today that he had five days to find some where else to stay. I know that without him here things will be a lot more calmer around here.

She is the one that will be helping me out after.

Thanks for the advice.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/30/11 8:07 am - Burlington County, NJ
It's always a good idea to have a deadline for such people, AND an eviction plan if they don't respect the deadline. Trust me, I know this well.

onemoretry
on 11/30/11 5:24 am - GA
VSG on 03/21/12
Laurie,

Good for you on giving him a time to be out. Just in case he is an ass (I had one here) check with you state laws. I tried to put my friends boyfriend out of my house and the police could not make him leave. He had been in my house 3 weeks. Here in Georgia if someone has lived in your house for 2 weeks, they have declared legal residency. Make sure you don't allow that to happen to you or you will have to take him to court to be evicted.
Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 5:28 am - MA
Oh no ! that wouldn't happen here lol. He did get a little attitude. Oh well. I mean I know what it's like not to have some place to go and to be couch surfing, it sucks.. but I also did something about it and got my stuff together within two weeks. So he can do it too
z85sparty
on 11/30/11 7:53 am - Mason, MI
 As a note... you can't spend forever locked in a world of health food.  Whether or not that's in your house or not.  Whether that's before surgery or after.

I assume right now you live alone, but what happens when you have a husband or even kids?  Having a live in BF for 2 years now and two kids, I can tell you... junk food is always around me!  Whether that be chips, crakers, cereal, oatmeal, ice cream, pop, pasta, candy, etc.  When other people live here I can't lay down a law that only protein and veggies are allowed in the house.  

Regardless of what is around you and regardless of who brought it in, you have to learn self-control.  It's you and only you who choose what goes in your mouth and how much.  Coming from someone who was completely obese because I 100% ate myself there, the #1 thing I have learned post-WLS is self control.  You will always have junk and crap food around.  No one will force this down your throat.  If you don't want to eat it, dont.

"I am used to my own space, not having anyone here putting unhealthy food in my fridge. Like how dare they! Maybe I am over reacting, but I mean, they know what I am doing, they could make better eating choices while in my house. I just find it completely rude."

I find these statements a little offending.  As a post-WLS patient who gets hungry and eats every 3-4 hours, I commonly take extra food with me every where I go.  I have never had anyone else get offened when I do!  I have never asked for anyone else to eat with me when I do.  If you allow someone to stay with you, I don't really think it's fair for you to be the diet queen over what they can and cannot eat.  Just because I choose to eat the way I need to or want to, doesn't mean I drag everyone else with me.  I doubt your friends are forcing you to eat the "junk" food they are bringing in, including the 3 bowls of pasta!  So long as they are forcing you to eat, use self control!  You'll have to after surgery!

So thankful for my DS! 1/20/2012 - SW 290/CW 155 - 1 year to lose, 1.5 years and counting maintaining! 

A Run With Meghan (My Running Blog)

My First Half Marathon: Fort For Fitness (9/24/2011): 2:22:58
My Frist Marathon: Marine Corps (10/30/2011):
 5:39:59
My First Sprint Triathlon: Trek Series (8/7/2011): 1:55:18

Laurie T.
on 11/30/11 8:08 am, edited 11/29/11 8:11 pm - MA
I understand what you are saying, and I don't really agree. I didn't say they were forcing me, or any of that.. I said I was stressed which is what led me to eat more. I know it was my decision to make, but they are only here for a week, they could have refrained. I guess we all have different opinions. As long as your not attacking me like the other lady, I am open to them... Doesn't mean I have to agree. Thank you for your comment. As far as a husbad and kids.. not anytime soon. Kids, I don't want so I guess it doesn't matter.
MsBatt
on 11/30/11 9:22 am
they are only here for a week, they could have refrained

It's entirely possible that it never entered their heads that they were eating 'bad' foods, or that they were tempting you. I bet they're just eating like they normally do and thinking nothing of it.

I know that as a DSer, the way I normally eat, although quite healthy for ME, would be appauling for someone who eats a low-fat diet. If I was staying with a friend for a week, the food I'd bring in would definitely be high in protein and fat---and if the friend I was staying with was on a low-fat diet, I'd expect him or her to not eat MY food.