It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/19/11 8:39 am
I think there are things we learn to prefer, like the white meat, even unintentionally. I wish I could eat dark now, but after only eating the driest white chicken or turkey breast since about the age of 12, I can't even look at marbled or tender meats, like prime rib (I actually can't even THINK about prime rib). 

Veggies are the other thing. Used to hate most, until I lived on them for years, and now just crave them for the crunch. Spinach too - I can eat it raw now for salad, but can't deal with it cooked into something with creaminess and all soft and wet. And earthy brown breads over wonder type white. I think we eat something long enough, and a dislike becomes set as the only edible choice.

Now if I could just figure out how to reset my love of chocolate and coffee.

MacMadame
on 11/20/11 4:05 am - Northern, CA
Most preferences are learned though. It's not like we come out of the womb knowing we like our steak rare or well done.

They are still preferences and I still honor mine. The only thing I would tell people who have had a disordered relationship with food (like most of us at one point or another) is to really examine your preferences to make sure they are yours and not society's.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 12:32 am - Woodbridge, VA
You're right about the veggies. I have yet to find a single vegetable I actually like plain, but I spent years trying to force myself to eat them that way in the name of dieting. I have an office mate who eats salads without any kind of dressing, which I've tried to do, but even just plain lettuce literally makes me gag  :(
MsBatt
on 11/20/11 1:10 am
On November 20, 2011 at 8:32 AM Pacific Time, jillybean720 wrote:
You're right about the veggies. I have yet to find a single vegetable I actually like plain, but I spent years trying to force myself to eat them that way in the name of dieting. I have an office mate who eats salads without any kind of dressing, which I've tried to do, but even just plain lettuce literally makes me gag  :(
I eat my salad without dressing of any kind---but it must have LOTS of tomatoes in it.
MacMadame
on 11/20/11 3:59 am - Northern, CA
I drizzle a little on to make it moister so things stick to my fork better, but that's it.

I'm not big on creamy sauces anyway. I like sauces that have more a sharp flavor like anything made with any kind of mustard (regular, Chinese, wasabi) and aren't too thick.

Of course everyone once in a while I just have to have something like mac 'n cheese but it's kind of like bacon... I have to be in the mood and the mood generally only strikes once or twice a year.

I'm not a greasy/salty/crispy person. I'm a sweet person. Veggies are sweet so I want to taste them.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 8:55 am - Woodbridge, VA
See, I find most veggies to be more bitter than sweet. Even when I've been low-carbing well, and my tastes have changed so that I enjoy things like very dark chocolate, and regular sweet things taste TOO sweet to me, I still don't care for veggies. Fruit, on the other hand...  :P

I think people who truly like veggies, especially plain, are very fortunate!
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/21/11 5:44 am
 Ever read about supertasters? Veggies tasting bitter is often a first indication that someone has this.
(deactivated member)
on 11/21/11 7:58 am - Woodbridge, VA
Never heard of supertasters before, but based on my 20 seconds of Googling, I don't think it's my issue  :P

"Supertasters tend to find highly fatty and sugary foods less palatable than non-tasters. As a result, supertasters tend to weigh less."
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 8:57 am - Woodbridge, VA
Tomatoes is another one of those things I really wish I liked, but I just can't do them! I think it's actually more of a texture issue because I do like tomato soup, tomato sauce, etc.
Ladytazz
on 11/19/11 2:47 pm
Do you have a recipe for the mashed cauliflower?  Or do you just play it by ear?  It sounds so good.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.