It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 11/19/11 4:55 am
On November 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
Yep, I think losing my guilt has done as much to improve my quality of life as losing weight has.
very profound!   

once upon a time I had a group to talk about Binge Eating Disorder, and later one about Clean Eating.

PM me if you are interested in either of these.

size 8, life is great

MacMadame
on 11/19/11 8:11 am - Northern, CA
On November 17, 2011 at 9:10 PM Pacific Time, MsBatt wrote:
Yep, I think losing my guilt has done as much to improve my quality of life as losing weight has.
I have this theory... I think being fat induces disordered eating and a bad relationship with food and not the other way around.

Part of why I think this is because of the studies I've read about starvation. When the subjects started to look like anorexics, they started to act like them too when they clearly didn't have eating disorders before. But also because I see a lot of people have a better relationship with food after WLS without having to go into therapy.

In my case, I lost the guilt way before I lost the weight. I had this idea that if I stopped obsessing over food and labeling it "good" and "bad" that I would be able to eat "intuitively" and I wouldn't have a weight problem. This was before I realized that my homeostatic system was broken and my body lied to me about how hungry I was and I would always have a weight problem until I fixed that.

But at least I learned not to react to eating a cookie as if I'd killed a man...

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

butercup
on 11/17/11 1:21 pm - Kennewick, WA
BuckeyeGirl
on 11/17/11 11:47 pm - TN
Wow, that is pretty cool that she opened the door to that conversation and gave you the opportunity to share your experience!

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/18/11 12:16 am
It made my day to talk to her. I will jump on opportunities that present themselves like that one did, but I'd never just throw the WLS thing out there to someone who doesn't seem to be "asking". I remember someone mentioning to me why I didn't get a lab band when I was fat, just out of the blue, and I'm still pissed about it.
BuckeyeGirl
on 11/18/11 12:50 am - TN
Oh yeah, I totally agree...that is why it is so cool that she opened the door and was open to that conversation. Kind of a rarity. I'm the same way in that I would have loved being able to share my experience especially to someone who is open minded or seeking information.

Yeah, I used to get things in the mail anonymously for different diets or pills. Those little mailings would leave me depressed/embarassed for days.

martitalinda
on 11/18/11 1:36 am
 What an AWESOME way to pay it forward...and what a fabulous window of opportunity to share and inform....

I am so glad you shared your story and did not keep all that awesome information to yourself....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

Elizabeth N.
on 11/18/11 3:53 am, edited 12/31/11 6:29 am - Burlington County, NJ

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/18/11 7:20 am
You were the one that got me fixated on the huckleberry milkshake, then I saw and ordered some home made huckleberry organi**** cream from a local foods supplier. I ordered enough for Thanksgiving, but considering my maniacal love of huckleberries, I don't know if I'll have the strength to share.
MsBatt
on 11/18/11 10:35 am
On November 18, 2011 at 11:53 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
I wish I could drink eggnog. It's almost as bad for me as the evil huckleberry milkshake *sniffle*.
Eggnog is EVIL. It's always been evil, always will be. Have a flaming rum punch instead.