It's the most wonderful time of the year!

MsBatt
on 11/17/11 1:08 pm
Ohh! Crispy turkey skin! My favorite part of the turkey is actually the wing tips, and they're MINE---both of 'em. And appearance be damned, I eat them as soon as I take the bird out of the oven.

I forgot the deviled eggs, sweet pickles, pickled peaches, and sweet taters. (I don't LIKE sweet potatoes, but my mom and SIL do.) And I haven't even decided on all the various ways I'll re-do the leftovers. There will be lots of turkey sammiches, and turkey soup made with the carcass---a good dollop of dressing adds a wonderful flavor.
Elizabeth N.
on 11/18/11 3:49 am, edited 12/31/11 6:27 am - Burlington County, NJ

MsBatt
on 11/18/11 10:24 am
On November 18, 2011 at 11:49 AM Pacific Time, Elizabeth N. wrote:
I got a marvelous gift yesterday: A chef friend stopped by Mr. EN's workplace and dropped off THREE turkey carcasses, left over from deboning turkeys for the big church sponsored turkey dinner. They're roasting up for soup and casserole as we speak. YUM YUM YUM.

I hate you.

I love you, but I HATE you.
ModestoK
on 11/18/11 4:05 am
 If you want, I can do a stand in for your son.  Just send me directions and tell me when to be there.

If anyone in your family actually likes cranberries, you could make the famous NPR horseradish cranberry relish.   So good, and using splenda and full fat sour cream, it can be made much lower carb.  That's what I'll be doing.

Mama Stamberg's Cranberry Relish

2 cups whole raw cranberries, washed

1 small onion

3/4 cup sour cream (full fat)

1/2 cup sugar (or splenda!)

2 tablespoons horseradish from a jar ("red is a bit milder than white")

Grind the raw berries and onion together. ("I use an old-fashioned meat grinder," says Stamberg. "I'm sure there's a setting on the food processor that will give you a chunky grind — not a puree.")

Add everything else and mix.

Put in a plastic container and freeze.

Early Thanksgiving morning, move it from freezer to refrigerator compartment to thaw. ("It should still have some little icy slivers left.")

The relish will be thick, creamy, and shocking pink. ("OK, Pepto Bismol pink. It has a tangy taste that cuts through and perks up the turkey and gravy. Its also good on next-day turkey sandwiches, and with roast beef.")

Makes 1 1/2 pints.

~  Kim  ~

HW - 283        SW - 257.5     Goal - 156
Thanks to all the DS vets who have paid it forward - I <3 you guys!  
Looking for DS support & information?   Check out :     http://weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 5:44 am - San Jose, CA
Cranberries, onions, sour cream and horseradish??  I wonder if I can retrofit some of the cooked cranberry relish to make a bit of this?  And it's not cooked at all?
ModestoK
on 11/18/11 9:26 am
Nope, it isn't cooked.
It sounds strange and looks kinda gross, but tastes so good.  Really excellent on leftover turkey sandwiches.
Word of advice, though- don't try making it using freshly grated horseradi**** is a total PITA and doesn't taste significantly better than the jarred horseradish.  I learned this last year when I got all Martha Stewartly and decided to use a knob of fresh horseradish.  Plus it really hurt when I took out my contacts that night. 
(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 9:36 am - San Jose, CA
We always have jarred horseradish on hand, for gefilte fish, and because my husband loves it on sandwiches.  I read him your recipe, and he decided to start with both my cranberry relish and his horseradish mayo on one sandwich and see how that tasted.

Grating one's own horseradish is definitely not worth it.  Especially when you grate your knuckle at the same time - a cut with horseradish juice in it is NOT fun.  My father once ended up in the hospital after slicing (and eating) raw habanero peppers, washing his hands with soap, and then rubbed his eye.
MsBatt
on 11/18/11 10:27 am, edited 11/20/11 12:46 am
On November 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM Pacific Time, DianaCox wrote:We always have jarred horseradish on hand, for gefilte fish, and because my husband loves it on sandwiches. I read him your recipe, and he decided to start with both my cranberry relish and his horseradish mayo on one sandwich and see how that tasted.

Grating one's own horseradish is definitely not worth it. Especially when you grate your knuckle at the same time - a cut with horseradish juice in it is NOT fun. My father once ended up in the hospital after slicing (and eating) raw habanero peppers, washing his hands with soap, and then rubbed his eye.At least it was his EYE---my brother doesn't want to talk about what can happen if you touch habaneros and then touch below the waist. (*grin*)
MsBatt
on 11/20/11 12:45 am
On November 18, 2011 at 5:26 PM Pacific Time, ModestoK wrote:
Nope, it isn't cooked.
It sounds strange and looks kinda gross, but tastes so good.  Really excellent on leftover turkey sandwiches.
Word of advice, though- don't try making it using freshly grated horseradi**** is a total PITA and doesn't taste significantly better than the jarred horseradish.  I learned this last year when I got all Martha Stewartly and decided to use a knob of fresh horseradish.  Plus it really hurt when I took out my contacts that night. 
I just might try this! And you're reminded me that I really should make some pico de gallo for the turkey sandwiches. My brother and I love pico on just nearly EVERYTHING. Try it with Swedish meatballs some time!
trxxyy
on 11/18/11 8:29 am - Orange County, CA
Oh!  I am copying this recipe too.  If it has horseradish in it it must taste live heaven.