It's the most wonderful time of the year!

(deactivated member)
on 11/18/11 10:02 pm - Woodbridge, VA
That sounds really good, and even for regular meals, not just holidays!

I don't do a green bean casserole - never have. I just like the packages of frozen green beans with almonds. Quick, easy, and pretty   ;)
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 12:40 am
This sounds so yummy!!!
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:00 am - San Jose, CA

I like green bean casserole, and peas with pearl onions in butter sauce, but I am alone in this.  So, my daughter volunteered to bring the green veggie.  I think she said something about spinach with artichokes (sounds like dip rather than veggie, but nothing wrong with that!) and something with brussels sprouts (I'm OK with that too) - but I hope she realizes the veggie is only to lend plausible deniability to those concerned that the meal is not "healthy."  Even spinach with artichokes, which sounds lovely, is not going to win the battle for stomach turf with stuffing as the alternative.

Mdae
on 11/19/11 5:24 am
peas and onions with lots of butter are decent, but i'm not big on stuffing. although bread is generally my downfall (crusty garlic bread with a nice thick beef stew...  mmmmm!).

another good veggie alternative is an oven roasted mixture (peppers, zuccs, eggplant, etc) tossed with pesto.

my son is 4 and he asks for brussel sprouts for a snack!   

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 5:37 am - San Jose, CA

Cornbread stuffing laden with butter, turkey juices and chicken stock, heavy on the sage, plumped up raisins, softened but crunchy walnuts and the surprise of black olives - I'll bet I could change your mind JUST a little ... it is like crack, I've been told.

Oven roasted veggies - perhaps with the leftovers.  But superfluous to turkey with gravy, yams, stuffing and cranberry relish.  My favorite combo of foods need not be shortchanged by crowding it out with healthy alternatives, at least for one day.

Good on you for your sprout eating son!  Although I must say, I have become somewhat of a brussels sprout fan myself in the last couple of years, and I think it must be because the Green Giant and other veggie packagers have found a better flavored variety of sprouts.  The ones we buy now frozen in the steamer bags are delicious, and lack the characteristic nasty bitter, burpy aftertaste of the ones I grew up on.  And the texture as cooked in those steamer bags is excellent as well - thoroughly cooked without being mushy and slippery feeling.  I don't know how they do it, but it is an advancement in the art of sprouts and getting people to eat them.

Mdae
on 11/19/11 6:35 am
i'd certainly give your version a shot!  i'll try almost anything edible. 
yeah, turkey with the skin and smothered in gravy...  and i love garlic mashed potatoes (boil the garlic right in there with them).  we don't do candied yams since my dad passed.  they were his favorite and no one else's.

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 10:30 am
Ok. I am going to try your stuffing recipe this year!  I love all the ingredients so I know I am going to like it, everyone else can either like it or leave it for me!
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 7:34 am
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 8:37 am - San Jose, CA
Once again, I don't really follow a recipe, except for roughly following the proportions of butter and chicken stock on the stuffing box to make sure the moisture level is approximately right.

I start with Mrs. Cubbison's cornbread stuffing.  I bought 4 boxes, but will probably only use 3 boxes to make stuffing for a 22 lb bird plus two more trays of stuffing to be baked separately.  The rest is on hand for use another time, or in case it just seems like 3 boxes isn't enough - I do it by eyeball.

I chop up about a good-sized amount of celery, with lots of the greenery - this year, I bought two bunches, and will strip off the outer larger stalks to make appetizers (cream cheese doctored up in some way, and peanut butter filled stalks).  The center smaller stalks and greenery, which have more of the characteristic celery flavor when cooked, get chopped up, along with 2-3 good sized yellow onions, which are also chopped but not too fine - I decide on the fly how much is necessary.  I then add a LOT more rubbed sage - turkey isn't turkey, nor is the stuffing or the turkey gravy later on right, without a LOT of sage.  I also add more pepper, dried parsely and garlic powder - I like my stuffing flavorful.  You could add a few other things, I suppose - oregano, rosemary - but I usually don't.  I melt the butter and add it to the stuffing mix, onions, celery and spices, and mix to disperse the butter evenly.  Then I add the stock and mix again (if you add both stock and butter at the same time, the butter will cool off and solidify and not mix evenly).

I then add the "condiments" - about a box and a half of yellow raisins, 2-3 cans of black olives cut lengthwise so each half has a little furrow for stuffing to get buried in, and then I set aside some of the stuffing into a Pam-sprayed casserole dish for the heathen anti-nut faction (there is always an anti-nut faction).  I add broken walnut pieces (not chopped, not halves - smallish pieces about the size of 1/3 of a half gives the right proportion of nut to stuffing per forkful) to the rest of the mix, and stuff the turkey cavity (I know you're not supposed to stuff it tight, but I do anyway), and the neck cavity too - I sew the skin of the neck into a structure the size and shape of a sleeve gastrectomy to cook as much of the stuffing inside the bird as possible.  The rest of the walnut stuffing goes into another casserole dish.

The bird itself gets basted with butter and paprika, which makes the skin look pretty.
(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 9:44 am