It's the most wonderful time of the year!

(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:32 am
Ditto everything you said (my husband is a walking example of this right now..), and may I please have your recipe for the noodle-free lasagna, pretty please? 
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 5:12 am - Woodbridge, VA
http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/spinach_lasagna.html

I more closely follow the second "variation" at the bottom. The top one has only 1/2 cup sauce, which I couldn't see working out very well. I also use a TON of cheese  :D
(deactivated member)
on 11/19/11 3:11 pm
Thanks, will try this!
Valerie G.
on 11/19/11 8:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
I can offer some thought to that. 
My son was only 11 when I had my DS (he's 18 now), so he's been raised in a DSer's household through his age of teenage impressionism.  He's learned that protein is the most important part of a meal, with veggies holding the second level of importance.  When it comes to carbs, especially simple carbs, your best bet is to choose something that gives you bliss, rather than something that gives little or no value. 

Today he's a very healthy, buff athelete (wrestler and weight lifter).  One thing I find amusing is that his coaches give them the same dietary advice, bringing in the carbs(chicken noodle soup and fruit) right before a tournament.  What I'm most delighted with is that he has no weight concerns or food hang-ups like I grew up with. 

So, for people worried about that, it's all on how you present the information. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nicolle
on 11/23/11 3:44 am
I'm a few days late to this discussion.

I had the DS four years ago. My hubby and my kids love eating food with me and their weights are stable and in a healthy range (hubby is 5'6" and weighs 160). 

If you've never had a weight problem (they have not) I think it's best to just eat what you want, in moderation. Whether it's bacon, a dessert, a salad, a steak. That's what healthy people with balance in their lives do. That's what I do now, that's what they do instinctively. We have more in common now than ever!

It's when we say things like "I can NEVER eat such and such" or label foods "bad" or "good" that we seem to get ourselves in trouble. The DS has leveled the playing field for me, so I can live more like my family.

No jealousy. No resentment.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Mdae
on 11/18/11 11:17 am
we're having all the typical T-day stuff, so i won't list it all...  but we really don't understand the fascination with green bean casserole in this household.  we think it's gross.  instead of that, we have another dish that everyone loves...  so here it is:

Spinach Casserole

3-4 square pkgs frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained well
1 envelope lipton onion soup mix
16oz sour cream

Topping
bread Crumbs
butter (melted)
parmesan cheese

Mix the first 3 ingredients thoroughly and spread in a small casserole dish.  Mix up the topping, approximate ratio is 1 stick of butter to 1c of crumbs and 1/4c cheese, but play with it to your taste.  Bake at 350 for around 30min until golden and crunchy on top.

cajungirl
on 11/18/11 9:53 pm
Thanks for posting this recipe, I love spinach and will be making this one for me :)

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Mdae
on 11/19/11 1:17 am
i squeeze out the spinach out really well in little handfuls to get all the excess water out.

hope you like it!

Jo 1962
on 11/19/11 1:55 am - NearHouston, TX
We hate green been casseroles too LOL.  I was just wondering if you thought freshly steamed spinich could be substituted for the frozen kind in the recipe?

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

Mdae
on 11/19/11 2:26 am
i'm sure that would work really well, but it shrinks down so much from fre**** might be tough to gauge how much to use.  let me know how it turns out!