Post RY surgery having revison to a duodernum switch

Elizabeth N.
on 11/16/11 11:49 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Why are there so many inconsistencies in your story as evidenced in your posting history?

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 12:07 am - Lancaster, OH
On November 17, 2011 at 7:15 AM Pacific Time, mbrown.boilingsprings.sc wrote:
Wow are you harsh! A troll... really.... is that the best educational and informative answer you can you can come up with.   I've spent alot of time in Lancaster. OH.  I found it to be a great place with warm and friendly people, thankfully we did not cross paths.

My grammer was aweful last night when I wrote this... embarrssingly so... but that does not negate my need to consult with someone else now does it???????????????????
I still call bull****:

This is yours.....

Topic: RE: Disappointed w/ me!

wow,, I have found someone else going through the same thing as me!
2005 RY successful but I did not follow did not loose all I wanted...didnt take advance of my "last chance" after the death of my Dad and loosing my job.
I have a revison to the Duodernum switch this past April ( also had my gallbladder removed at the same time) .....unsuccessful.. I lost 6 pounds the first 2 weeks and then I have had major constipation and have gained a total of 27lbs....UGH.   Origianl surgery I lost a proud 80 lbs and never gained more than 5 lbs above my lowest weight for 5.5 years.  Had to have the galbladder reomved and ask my surgery if I could get a "re-do" much to my suprise he agreed.  He was conservative and only moved it to the most conservative length due to his concern I would have the extreme bowl movement (also a side effect of the Gallbladder surgery).  we insurance just approved to go back in ...so Monday is the day.  I am so worried it wont work.  the dr said only 40 lbs is the expected amount of weight to expect which seems low since I need to lose 70 more lbs. He will not reduce the size of my pouch( which I know I have stretched out) due to having alot of scare tissue around it and round the liver.

Tell me more about what you have had done.

To confuse the spelling of ERNY with Duodernum (sic), is quite a stretch, don't you think?

Oh, and, by mentioning what you think is my city of residence, are you trying to make me feel threatened?
Elizabeth N.
on 11/17/11 10:57 am, edited 12/31/11 7:20 am - Burlington County, NJ

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/11 10:06 pm, edited 1/26/12 12:03 am

This comment removed for privacy protection from OH.

Valerie G.
on 11/17/11 12:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Totally go for a full Ds over an ERNY

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

prettypixels
on 11/17/11 1:12 am
Is it a full moon or something???!?
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 1:29 am - San Jose, CA
I hope you understand that the people who have posted here - not MDs but with cumulatively about 100 years of bariatric experience - are ALL seeing problems with your post, in particular what your surgeon has already done to you (based on how you explained it) and what your surgeon is planning to do to you (based on how you explained it).

We are trying to warn you before you get hurt.  Whatever you decide to do, whether we think it is foolish or stupid or suicidal or blatant malpractice, it is up to YOU - we just want to make sure you are making a fully informed decision, and from how you explained it, it sounds like you don't know NEARLY enough to be going under the knife again - and that your surgeon is planning to operate on you to do something HIGHLY unlikely to work, and HIGHLY likely to make you feel miserable.

Take what you need from this message board and leave the rest.  But don't say we didn't care enough to warn you.
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 5:03 am
Thank you.  I do appreciate the passion and advice of others.  It is obvious most have done much more research than I as well as more experience than I.

I spoke to my surgeon for a while earlier today and I was very confused on the terms but do understand the proceedure and the side effects that I will have to live with.  He will be doing a BPD.  Chonic loose bowel + the risk of malabsorbtion if I am not careful and do as he says. 

Dare I ask for anyone tto reach out to me that has had this proceedure as a revision following RNY? 

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 5:30 am - San Jose, CA
HOLY CRAP AGAIN BATMAN!

The BPD is an entirely OUTMODED surgery that has been REPLACED by the DS.  It is also entirely and hopeless IRREVERSIBLE, because it REMOVES the distal portion of your stomach and even worse, REMOVES your precious pyloric valve and OMG even the proximal duodenum!!

WTF??  WHY would he do this to you?  I'll tell you why - because he is not competent to perform a proper DS on you!  And this is the "best" he can do.

I understand this is not what you want to hear a few days before surgery.  But I cannot overemphasize this - the BPD is a BAD surgery!  No, it's a HORRIBLE surgery - and there's NO FIXING IT once it is done, because unlike the DS and even the RNY, it REMOVES precious stomach and intestinal structures - THERE IS NO GOING BACK when you find out how horrible your life can be with a BPD.  Almost NOBODY does this surgery anymore - because the DS solved the problems with it, while retaining the benefits - improved metabolism and long term weight loss.  But with a BPD, you will still have dumping, as well as terrible malabsorption problems - again, in a slightly different way than the ERNY, you will have all the negatives of both the RNY and the DS, but without the BENEFITS of the DS.

Please please please get a consult with a proper RNY to DS revision surgeon before you go through with this BUTCHERY!
(deactivated member)
on 11/17/11 5:41 am - San Jose, CA
There is a relatively new BPD forum here on OH for those who had teh BPD years ago, or who ended up with one as the result of surgical misadventure:
http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/bpd/

There aren't that many posts - read them all.