bypass??

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 3:36 am
I agree, we all need fat in our diets to perform certain biological functions.  The difference lies in the absorption.  The DS bottom half is more like a distal RNY.  It's pouch vs, reduced stomach that makes it different. With an RNY,  the top part of the digestion chain, that is the stomach churning the food into chyme., is lost.  There is much less absorption with a DS, and though we don't (well, at least I don't, I can only speak for myself) *gorge* on foods, because of the high malabsorption, our caloric intake needs to be higher to stabilize weight.  If I'm only eating protein and complex carbs, I need to eat a lot more in order to maintain my body weight.  It is very hard, to put the brakes on losing, at least, that's what I've experienced with my DS.  I only have a 75 cm common channel, the shortest my doctor does.  In all honesty, I have been overdoing the carbs a bit, by munching on dry Kashi cereal while studying.  Kashi also has 13g of protein per serving, so I am getting some protein in as well. Not to justify the snacking, but as DSer's we are encouraged to snack on the nutrient dense foods we need to eat, just to get everything in!

Karen M.
on 11/9/11 9:18 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Oh yes, I completely understand the anatomy and workings of a DS.  And while there are differences in nutritional needs, it's not really all that different.   As to your previous comment about beef, pork, etc. - I have absolutely no problems in eating and digesting those foods :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 11:54 pm

There is a difference.  Nutritionally, I am more prone to ADEK deficiencies than you are.  Those are fat soluble vitamins.  I cannot take standard OTC supplements in those, as they are suspended in oil, nd I will not absorb them. they have to be dry, water soluble.  I can also go into deficiencies of other vitamins much more quickly than you.  I'm glad you can eat those dense-textured foods and have no problems with sugar and all that.  I'm not trying to play "mine is better than yours" here.  As I said, you did hat was right for you, I did what was right for me.   The DS made me normal, in terms of dieting vs. not dieting, and that's what I was aiming for.  Again, regimented supplementation and medical supervision (already happening because of my disabilities) for the rest of my life is a small price to pay to not weight 405 pounds ever again! 
Karen M.
on 11/10/11 11:40 am - Mississauga, Canada
Yes, I read your post about eating too many carbs aka Kashi cereal and a weight gain of over 18 pounds I believe?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 11:57 am
Yes, you did, but I know next week, it will be gone.  Not the first weight gain won't be th last, but it will *not* be a big deal to get off.
Kashi has 30g per serving, and yes, I overdid it by mindless eating. 
But the weight doesn't hang on.   Eliminate the carbs, and I'll be back to normal within a couple weeks, maybe less.

The key here is that I honestly know and admitted what I did. It's getting close to finals, and I did say I have always had a stress eating issue.  If I had chosen bacon or pepperoni or some other combinaton of protein and fat to snack on instead of Ka****his wouldn't even be a conversation!  I didn't, I'm corrrecting it, and my body is now designed to help me do that.

End of story.
littleskie
on 11/9/11 3:10 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with
I love my RNY. I do dump but it has to be a good amount of sugar or a HUGE amount of fat. So I consider it a self regulator of sugars....lol. Pre-RNY I was on two diabetes meds that didn't control my blood sugar levels. I was also on high blood pressure meds and high cholesterol meds. Now i've been able to give it all up. Woo hoo.

Blood tests say that my cholesterol is great. Two points and it would be considered low. My blood sugar has been perfect, and my blood pressure has been great.

I just spent a week in the hospital for blood clots with having had a panniculectomy and the take my blood pressure twice a day at least and it was always great.

I love my RNY and it was the best thing I could ever have done for myself. Of course my insurance wouldn't cover DS. If it did, honestly i'd probably have gone for that instead. Just no way I could.

Good luck with everything!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 3:20 am

My HBP went away, too!  I wi**** would do the same for my lupus and fibromyalgia!  However, with the weight loss, I have a scooter sitting in my living room collecting dust (I'm saving it for when I get older).  My knees are still bad, but I can manage to *not* walk with a cane every day of my life, only when I'm getting up from a lupus/fibro flare because of balance issues.

At the time I had my urgery, Medicare would only pay for the RNY and the DS.  I think  I read somewhere they're looking into paying for LapBand and VSG now as well.
walter A.
on 11/9/11 8:08 am - lafayette, NJ
ONE YEAR OUT today actually,, i bypassed my intestine, not my stomach, that is the point of absorption, route of diabetes type 2, i live a completely normal life, no diet, or special food habits,  a few extra vitamins. that's it.  and i have complete endocrine work ups every 3 months because i have 3 types of diabetes unrelated to food.

life is good.   i had the ds.
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 3:25 am

Doing great, Walter!  Congrats on your one year surgiversary!