bypass??

WiseTears
on 11/10/11 2:35 am - Chicago, IL
Actually dumping can occur with any WLS. Everytime I go to my doctor's appointment they always ask me have I experienced dumping. But I was always under the impression that only people with the RNY dump. Well I was wrong because at U of C they have patients with VSG and the DS who dump. It's nowhere near the 40% but it still happens.

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 3:12 am

Dumping syndrome is a metabolic reaction to sugar, not simply vomiting or feeling ill, the latter of which happens to unaltered people, too.

Do I vomit if overstuff my DS-altered stomach?  You bet!  It doesn't happen often, because I get the signal to stop eating long before it gets to that point.  Do I get sick if I eat something with sugar in it?  Absolutely not!  I would if I sat and ate some ridiculous amount of sugar-laden food, but I don't, and Splenda does the trick for me, although, it's good to take a probiotic with Splenda, since it does alter the bacterial flora of the gut.  If it's not one thing, it's another ;-)

We have to deal with all kinds of trade-offs in life.  It's all part of decision-making.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/10/11 6:17 am
Jazzbabe,

Do you possibly have any links to studies about the Splenda?? This is the first time I've heard this, but it makes sense.

I've been gathering data on all the different things that affect the gut flora, and then in turn contribute to other things like kidney stones or obesity. 

If you have data on hand, I'd appreciate a link, and if not, I'm going to go poke around on line now, so may come up with it anyway.
(deactivated member)
on 11/10/11 12:12 pm
Here's a link to the study:

Splenda Alters Gut Microflora and Increases Intestinal P-Glycoprotein and Cytochrome P-450 in Male Rats
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15287390802328630

Maria612
on 11/9/11 1:29 am
I love my RNY.  Been very successful with it. No dumping or stuck issues.  I can eat anything in moderation.  Very grateful to be able to have this life saving surgery.  maria
SW / CW / GW
327/203/ 180  
snshine62
on 11/9/11 1:58 am
My suggestion would be, do your homework. Listen to everyone with an open mind. However, in the end choose the surgery that best fits you and your life. At the end of the day it's your body, your decision. My surgery went great, no problems and so far great success, but that's me and that was my decision. Good Luck with the surgery you chose.
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 3:05 am
valancy1
on 11/9/11 2:05 am - MD
I personally love my RNY.  LOVE IT.  What is right for you, however, is a very personal choice between you and your surgeon.

I would have dumping IF I ATE WRONG STUFF.  Dumping doesn't happen just because you had an RNY... it happens because of eating things that shouldn't be eaten!  Same with "getting stuck".  When I eat something I shouldn't, which is rare, I pay for it... with the getting stuck syndrome.

So whatever you decide, make an informed decision.  I wouldn't have done any other type of surgery.  I *like* that my pouch is my regulator.  I don't have cravings, cannot overeat, and won't, and I went to therapy to deal with the issues that originally caused me to overeat years ago.  I believe keeping it off is 95% in a person's head and thoughts far more than the type of surgery or whatever method is used to lose weight.

Debra
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 3:03 am

The only "wrong stuff" for DSers are simple carbs and simple sugars, which DSer's absorb 100 percent.  Therefore, I only eat 100% whole wheat baked goods, I use Splenda in everything, but conversely, if I want a piece of birthday cake at a celebration, for example, I'm not gong to dump because of the sugar.  I most definitely will absorb 100 percent of the simple carbs and sugar that goes into making the cake, but I will not have a reaction to it.

Karen M.
on 11/9/11 3:07 am - Mississauga, Canada
I think we eat more similarly than you think :)  Did you know that only about 30% of RNY peeps experience dumping?  I too limit carbs, don't eat refined sugar.  I use Splenda and eat whole grains. I eat full fat cheese, sour cream, etc. because I feel my body needs some fat.  Not so different, huh?  :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/