bypass??

prettypixels
on 11/8/11 11:45 pm
Life with a pouch was no fun for me; maybe you are different, but I can't see signing up for yet another pouch. Especially with all the regain a few years out that so many RNYers are experiencing. I'm curious what digestive problems would prevent you from having the VSG, which leaves your stomach much more fully functioning than an RNY would?
cedarstar
on 11/9/11 9:26 am - Manitoba, Canada
Anyone with severe GERD should reconsider their option of vsg because it will become worse. RNY usually cures reflux. VSG was my first choice and if I had the option I would still choose the vsg first. My lower esophageal sphincter remains too tight which causes food to get stuck and not pass through to the stomach.  It can cause difficulty swallowingregurgitation, and chest pain. As soon as my surgeon found out I had this he refused to do the vsg on me. He consulted the other surgical associates and none of them would consider it a safe option. I was at high risk for a leak anytime after surgery. If there was gas in my stomach and the sphincter tightened at the same time it would create a pressure strong enough to rupture the staple line and create a life threatening incident. As much as I was previously against having the rny it became the only option for me.

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

larra
on 11/8/11 11:53 pm - bay area, CA
Give yourself lots of time to heal, both physically and emotionally. You have been through a lot.
     Then spend some time learning everything you can about ALL your possible options. We've seen many people revise from lap band to DS, and I'm sure there are also many revising from lap band to RNY...which tells you more about the failure rate of lap band than anything else, but the point is that you do have options and owe it to yourself to learn about all of them before making a big decision. Read up on the DS forum and dsfacts.com. Consider both the results for excess weight loss and esp for maintaining that weight loss, AND for resolution of type 2 diabetes - DS is superior on all counts. Read the RNY forum also - some people do very well with RNY and are happy with it. Others, not so much.
     And consider also the option of doing nothing more. Not that I'm recommending this, given that your diabetes (and the lbs) has come back, just saying that this is an option, and there are pros and cons to every option. Keep in mind esp that the lap band failure was NOT your fault. The damn thing slipped - TWICE! The gadget failed, not you. You could be very successful with a different surgery.

Larra
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 12:27 am

I'm not a doctor, but if i were, I think it would depend on exactly where the scar tisssue is that would determine the procedure.

If I were you, I would look into the Duodenal Switch or the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, which is the top half of the DS. 

You will not have dumping with either, and will be able to eat coarser textures without having to worry about plugging up the stoma that is crated with a gastric bypass pouch, because the natural anatomy of the valves of the stomach remain intact.  It's the stomach size that is irreversible, because 75-80 percent of it is removed.  That way, the stomach still does the work of processing the food for further digestion.  With a created pouch for a gastric bypass (RNY) it's just intake and outflow.
MyLady Heidi
on 11/9/11 2:32 am
Wow thats a new one by me, what are the coarser texture foods you can eat that those with rny can't???  Is there really a whole wide world of foods I am missing out on because of my rny?  Honestly I can say this in all seriousness, I have never once thought that anything I ate was going to plug up my stoma, hence the reason we chew our food and not swallow it whole.  And I think I am pretty successful given I am nearly 7 years out and at 5'5 and 148lbs am still in the normal bmi range even though I recently regained 10lbs. Apparently intake and outflow whatever the hell that means works.
(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 2:54 am, edited 11/9/11 2:55 am

I chew my food, too, but not "until it is almost liquid", as one support group leader put it. At that group I was one of two DSer's in the room, and since the information was totally contradictory to counseling and training for my DS, I simply stopped going. It got to be too depressing to hear stories about revisions due to 40, 50 and even 100 pound regains, and to be treated like an alien from another planet.

I'm simply saying that your pouch does not produce the same stomach acid, nor does it churn to break down the food that my reduced stomach does, and coarser textures, such as salad, rice, popcorn, corn, beef, pork and other more dense foods seem to give RNY's more trouble, from what I heard while attending the support group, and from what I read when I was researching the procedures. The literature refered to DS patients as "enjoying a freer eating style". The group leader even said she could not eat salad unless it was finely chopped.

There aren't enough DSers in my part of Indiana to have a separate group, like they do in Indianapolis, and that's 4 hours round trip driving, for me, out of the question due to fibromyalgia and lupus. I am not knocking your surgery. You chose what was best for and most available to you. I'm not a good dieter, hence I chose the DS, which was available in my state. I did what was right for me. You did what was right for you.
Karen M.
on 11/9/11 2:40 am - Mississauga, Canada
"Plugging up the stoma"?  Ummm... can't say as I've had that, since I chew my food and all.  Also, in all seriousness, not sure what coarser textured foods you're referring to?

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 11/9/11 3:18 am
Please see post directly above your reply.  Beef, pork and other meats are harder to digest than fish and chicken. Stomach acid plays a significant part in the digestion of those foods.
Amy Farrah Fowler
on 11/10/11 6:22 am
 "Plugging up the stoma" 

Usually called stuck food. There is stuff on the band and RNY boards all the time about that. Things get stuck in a stoma that is too small. The stoma getting too large causes a whole different set of problems.
Karen M.
on 11/10/11 11:38 am - Mississauga, Canada
Yes, you're correct.  However, this rarely happens to a lot of us. Trust me, I eat every darn thing. lol  Well, except refined sugar. Bleah.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/