bypass??

chellegerman
on 11/8/11 9:50 pm
I have had a lapband that slipped and i had a revision last year...did not work.  Was going to have a bypass on 11-7-11 but the band had slipped again and my stomach was too inflammed, so they removed the band and some scar tissue.  will need to return in 6-8 weeks for bypass.  Now I don't know if I should do the bypass...keep thinking what if I don't do what I should?  So scarred!!  Need help.....
(deactivated member)
on 11/8/11 10:10 pm, edited 1/26/12 12:29 am

This comment removed for privacy protection from OH.

thiknena19
on 11/8/11 10:11 pm - bronx, NY

sorry about ur band slipping :/ i would be terrified if that hapened to me. what other options are you considering? i heard alot of people have complications because of the scar tissue left after taking the band out. i believe you should do ur research and let your body heal then consider bypass... good luck with ur desicion :)

cedarstar
on 11/8/11 10:36 pm - Manitoba, Canada
Good luck with your decision. I had the RNY 8 weeks ago. The vsg was my first choice but due to digestive problems I couldn't have it. I was scared to have the RNY due to the dumping I have watched my mother suffer with for many years. I now know hers was and always will be self inflicted. I have not had any dumping episodes and I have had sugar and I eat fruit with no problems. In fact there are a lot of people with the rny that don't dump. Godd Luck! 

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135

chellegerman
on 11/8/11 11:15 pm
I am just so done with this...I should have had the rny first, but I was scarred(what's new).  I have had diabetes in the past which cleared after I lost 85lbs with hte band.  These issues are returning since I gained all the weight back.  That was main reason I got surgery to start with...that is still an issue, so maybe I should do the rny.  So distraught....thought I would have this decision behind me and it is still here. 
Elizabeth N.
on 11/9/11 10:58 am, edited 1/1/12 12:00 am - Burlington County, NJ

Dave Chambers
on 11/8/11 11:02 pm - Mira Loma, CA
I attended a support group last night, and your questions and others were discussed.  Some people considering different surgeries had many questions. Dumping is not an issue with all post ops, and is generally an issue with too many sugars in foods or high fat foods that are eaten.  Not every food will make you dump.  Patients who have some dumping issues are generally more successful.  Which ever surgery chosen, long range success DEPENDS on behavior modification, period.  My surgeon's nurse discussed RNY vs sleeve.  She stated that first RNY was performed by a French doctor, Dr. Roux, and the surgery was named after him. This surgery was done in 1967. So there is a lot of health data on patients from the RNY surgery compared to any other wt loss surgery.  She also stated she hears most complaints from band patients. She also stated that my surgeon would end up doing about 700 RNY surgeries this year, and his 10 year LAP expereince now has 7000 surgeries.  Dr. Suh appears to do 75% RNY, 24% sleeve, and 1 % band surgeries in his practice.  Good luck on your decision. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

RhondaDenise
on 11/8/11 11:34 pm - Crossville, TN
 So sorry for all your troubles.

Have you looked into the DS?  

Come on over to the DS forum, read and ask questions.

I never considered the crap band....Too afraid of slippage.

I was all set for RNY...Then went to a support group meeting, met some DS folks...got interested...Next went to a DS meeting...met even more DS folks...

Just so happened the surgeon I picked for my RNY did the DS...YEAH for me.  So that was just another pro.

Just a suggestion....Don't NOT think about it...Just read a little about it and go from there.

Come talk to us...Will answer any and all questions.

But.....No matter what path you take...Good Luck and best wishes...

Yehuda G.
on 11/8/11 11:40 pm
I would not have a RNY, especially if you possibly have damage to your esophagus.
cedarstar
on 11/9/11 9:06 am - Manitoba, Canada
Actually this is why I had the RNY. The vsg would have been extremely dangerous for me due to reflux and sphincter problems. Pre-surgery I was diagnosed with pre-Barrett's esophagus, having a badly corroded esophagus. RNY usually stops the GERD that causes the damaged esophagus. If the esophagus is damaged from stomach acid then the vsg is not the right choice. I have heard that GERD gets much worse after vsg due to the small size of the stomach. 

As wonderful as the DS sounds not everyone has the option to have it done since it is not performed by very many surgeons. Sometimes we just have to settle for what we can have.

hw-251

sw-225

surgeon's goal-170

my goal-135