Part One of a Three Part Question. (Read this first.)

I love Chocolate
on 10/13/11 10:19 am - Labrador, Australia
 What happens if he kills the next person, sorry he's not a kid.
clpeltz
on 10/13/11 10:46 am
25 is more than old enough to face the consequences of your actions.  That is the problem with all these kids these days....they don't ever have to suffer the consequences.  I would not drop the charges.  Someone could of been hurt badly and he is given a freebie here, maybe someone will next time.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

Stephanie M.
on 10/13/11 11:03 am
What are the charges??  Hit and Run...no one died, so it shouldn't be a felony and "ruin his life".  He needs to be held accountable for the damage done.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

sam1am
on 10/13/11 11:26 am
Well, I think I'm a little different from most people here.  I have an almost 23 year old son who is a "good kid" in his last year of university.  He is a very bright young man, but young men just aren't that mature (in my experience anyway).

He'll go from a young hormonal kid, to intelligent conversions back to xbox in a flash.  

I think he needs some sort of punishment, but I think a criminal record is harsh.  He was probably terrified.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

butercup
on 10/13/11 11:30 am - Kennewick, WA
He needs to face the music.  He broke the law and should've thought about "his future" before he took off.  He is accountable.  If he gets off this time, what lesson will be learned and what about you guys?  The actual victims?  She's just doing her job and is trying to get him the best turn out.  Screw that.
ModestoK
on 10/13/11 11:43 am
Should you drop the charges?
HELL NO!

I work for a District Attorney's office. I can tell you that if the kid truly doesn't have a record (and I wouldn't believe a defense attorney saying that for a second) he will almost certainly be offered a sweetheart deal. If he takes a deal, he will likely get off on a misdemeanor, lesser included charge.

This won't ruin his life and will teach him a valuable lesson, hopefully. At the very least, if he is prosecuted it will serve as a warning to his friends and family.

This is probably my bias talking, but people who drive without insurance or a valid license rarely learn their lesson. And every defendant can 'clean up' and claim to be a 'good kid who made a mistake'. I hear that about ********ers all the time, and you know what - they all have tons of letters from people they know who went to school with them in the 3rd grade and they were nice then... so they must still be 'good'.
I do believe in giving people a second chance, but this isn't just a youthful indiscretion like stealing a candy bar - he could have killed someone and didn't care to stick around to check.

As for the PD calling you - they are permitted to do so. The DA prosecutes for the People of the State rather than being your personal attorney. So 'officially' you are not represented by counsel in this matter so the cannon of ethics does not prevent them from speaking to a potential witness - even a victim.

K.
larra
on 10/13/11 11:46 am - bay area, CA
I think I would feel more kindly to this young MAN if he hand't fled the scene. I would not drop the charges.
     and as to him being a "kid", I bet that public defender had graduated from law school at his age.

Larra
Sharyn S.
on 10/13/11 12:09 pm - Bastrop, TX
RNY on 08/19/04 with
Fuck no.  25 is not a kid.

Sharyn, RN

RIP, MOM ~ 5/31/1944 - 5/11/2010
RIP, DADDY ~ 9/2/1934 - 1/25/2012

KathyA999
on 10/13/11 12:24 pm
The public defender is pulling a bit of a dirty trick by appealing to the victim's sympathy.  Although she's just "doing her job," this young man's future is not your responsibiity.  It's his, as are the consequences of his actions.  Life's tough, and some things you don't get to do over.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 12:59 pm
I agree with I Love Chocolate - what if you drop the charges and he kills someone next time?  How would you feel about your decision?  Letting someone get away with bad behavior isn't being nice, it's just encourages them to repeat that behavior. Making someone face the natural consequences of their actions isn't being mean, it's helping them.
Most Active