Part One of a Three Part Question. (Read this first.)

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/11 8:02 am
I would ask to talk to the "kid" and to his family... and really see who that person really is.
Then I would decide.

And record for driving accident is really not such a horrible offense unless someone needs a DL with a clean record for a job.   Find the facts and then consider...
Ask yourself: what if that was your "child" or "a young person" - a really good kid that you are related to? 
BTW; it is easy to have them convicted... and there need to be some "punishment" , but have you ever done the right things?  have you ever done anything really stupid and was just lucky not to be caught?  I knaw I did a few stupid things in my life when I was younger... (drink and drive in the past)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

wonkad
on 10/13/11 8:09 am - IL
Much respect to you Hala...

BUT...

Do you really think the family is going to talk crap about the kid? Nope. 

He needs to be taught a lesson. This is coming from a person who survived a horrific DUI crash by an unlicensed, uninsured, drunk, drug abuser who probably thought she was just being stupid.

shock.gif

**Weight loss since June 08**

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/13/11 8:45 am
not sure... maybe? trust me, if I did anything like that... my mother would have used a dog leash... over and done... black and blue... and would expect me to cover the extra expenses of the people, and so on... my punishment would have no end... But she would stand behind me and try to help with any financial issues to pay for any damages... (the money that I would have to pay back and then some)... And will still respect the people if they decided not to drop the charges.. . 

and then my best friends parents would do the same to her...

I have friends that would do the same for their children...

I am glad that I learned my lessons without having any accidents... early on in my life... And since I never had to deal with situation like that first hand - maybe it is easier for me to try to understand... ?? not sure...
How many of them end up with a record and over and over again do the same thing? Until they kill someone? I really know a couple...
It is a tough decision... I would try to find out really who the young person is... and then make my decision...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

metamorphosis007
on 10/13/11 8:11 am
How many times do you think this guy has driven drunk before he got caught? People either drink and drive, or they don't in my experiance. Perhaps you could make the argument of "good kid with no record" if he was 18,19,20, or even 21. But 25? I'm 26, and I ain't no kid. 

You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass.---Frank Sinatra
Bralen
on 10/13/11 8:12 am
I would call the District Attorney that is prosecuting the case and let him/her know that the Public Defender contacted you. Something is wrong with that. No I would not drop the charges. I might feel differently if we were talking about a 16 year old kid. I was married with two kids and a mortgage by the time I was 25.
Start weight 263     Surgery weight 247  
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 8:30 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
He is no "kid" he is a full grown adult and needs to act like it. To many people think traffic offenses are no big deal and they keep breaking them cause they dont get caught. Well he got caught by hitting you guys. He was breaking the rules which he agreed to follow by getting a drivers license and broke them. Now he can pay the price for his poor choices. Heck if my kid ever did that I would expect her to own up to it and pay the price for it not try to weasel her way out of it. And seriously its not going to be the end all be all when it comes to affecting his employablity.
StaceyC1965
on 10/13/11 8:32 am
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 8:33 am - MN
DS on 03/13/12
Oh and just a bit I had an accident when i was 22 years old I hit someone I stuck around cause I knew it was my bad and I had to deal with it. Guess what I had no charges filed on me cause I did what was required of me to do after an accident. My insurance payed the other people claim and I havent had an accident since.
poet_kelly
on 10/13/11 8:39 am - OH
Is the public defender supposed to be calling you?  I'm thinking she should be talking to the prosecuter, not you.  She may be out of line here.

The driver is NOT a "good kid," he is an ADULT.  An adult that does not want to take responsibility for his actions.  He took off because he was scared?  Well, at age 25, he knew he was not supposed to take off after hitting another car.  Duh.

I don't know if a criminal record would ruin his future, but it may cause some future problems for him, yes.  When you break the law, sometimes that happens.  That is one reason I try not to break the law. For instance, when I backed into someone's car in a parking lot, I did not take off.  Instead I stopped, got out of my car, traded insurance info with the driver of the car I hit, etc.  And any 25 year old driver knows that is what you are supposed to do.

I would not drop the charges.  He should take responsibility for his actions. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/11 9:05 am
I agree with the majority.  He is NOT a "kid".  He is a 25 year-old man and needs to "man-up"  and do what is right.  And, yes, I would say that if it was my son and I have!

Michele
Most Active