LAST BITE OF FOOD FOR 6-8 WEEKS. advice??

doggz109
on 10/5/11 6:38 pm - CA
VSG on 01/12/12
The ony advice or comment I can make to this is:

WHY?  and WTF?
Yehuda G.
on 10/6/11 2:14 am
No offense, but I believe anyone who would recommend such a pre op diet has probably be smoking a lot of dope lately. It's absurd.
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 2:48 am
Blank Out
on 10/6/11 3:58 am
 Just curious, how much total weight do you have to lose?  I had my DS around the same time a friend had the RNY.  I have lost way more weight, and have a much better lifestyle regarding food, and how and what I can eat.  She is so stinking envious of me, it has hurt our friendship.  I never talk to her about it, but she is always watching me.

Do yourself a favor, and before you have surgery, research, then completely rule out the DS first before you commit to an RNY! 

Have you checked out dsfacts.com  ?

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 6:23 am, edited 10/6/11 6:40 am
In order for you to achieve 100g of protein with skim milk only, you would need to drink almost 12 8oz glasses a day. By doing this, you will intake nearly 150 g of simple carbs. Lactose is a simple sugar, without the presence of fat to moderate the absorption it's worse than whole milk, health wise. Without the fat, some of the vites in it (if there are any with commercial milk to begin with) won't even be available to your body!

The liver shrinking our surgeons want to achieve with the standard pre-op diet is a direct result of our bodies going into ketosis from carbohydrate restriction and using up glycogen that is stored in our bodies, and especially on and around our livers.. glycogen makes the liver especially slick and floppy, this makes it more difficult to move out of the way. In order for this to happen, we need to dip down to about 20-30g of carbs a day. This diet will not achieve that purpose.. the carbs are too high.

I am agreeing very strongly that this is a very unsound diet, and I would suggest you listen to the folks who are pointing this out both gently and not so gently. Whether you agree or not, these folks do see the same huge red flag here.. we aren't jumping in for the fun of it. Please walk away from this practice and find someone else who has a nutritionally sane program, this is not one by any stretch.

Edited to add, as you feel between this and the multis you are taking that you are getting all you need.. please consider, many of those important vitamins are fat soluble.. meaning, you can take all you want, but you aren't going to get much of them.. like A, D, E & K just to name a few off the top of my head. Seriously, this is the poorest pre-op plan I've ever seen from a nutritional perspective.. way to set you up for being in a weakened state right before surgery.
smileyjamie72
on 10/6/11 6:43 am - Palmer, AK

Apple-Jax,

My question for you is where are the RNY patients who have had this surgeon, and have done this diet?  Have you personally spoken to any of these patient who have "went before you".

How did they feel after their surgery with this surgeon?

Good luck
-Jamie

RNY 2/26/2002                           DS 12/29/2011
HW 317                                     SW 263 BMI 45.1
SW 298                                     CW 192 BMI 32.9~60% EWL
LW 151 in 2003  
TT 4/9/2003

Normal BMI 24.8 is my GOAL!!!

GBP (RNY) 2/26/02 298 lbs, TT 4/9/03 151 lbs, DS 12/29/11
HW 317 SW 263 BMI 45.1/CW 192 BMI 32.9/GW 145 ~ Normal BMI 24.8
**Revision Journey started 3/2009 Approved 12/12/11**

prettypixels
on 10/6/11 7:58 am
I'm sorry if it seems like some people are being harsh. But, seriously, this is *dreadful* advice. So you are going to be drinking at least 12 cups of milk a day?

Please get a second opinion. You and your family deserve better. And if you are AT ALL interested in the DS, fight for it!
Emily F.
on 10/6/11 9:08 am
Please explain how you are getting 100 g of protein a day? I can't imagine you would be feeling healthy or sturdy before major surgery on this kind of a diet and I do not think 4 weeks is a short amount of time.
Ms. Cal Culator
on 10/6/11 9:18 am - Tuvalu

So...she is intentionally making you anemic pre-op?  You'll be getting 1.23 gram of iron per day when a non-lactating female between the ages of 18 and 50 should get at something near 18? 

And you are going to eat ZERO fiber for a month?  And zero carotene and zero lycopene and zero lutein (get some good vision insurance) and zero Vitamin K--which, of course, helps with blood clotting and who needs THAT in the month before surgery--and...well, thanks for publishing the name of your doctor.  No matter HOW well she cuts, nobody needs to be intentionally malnourished in preparation for surgery and THINKING pre-ops will now know whom to avoid.

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 10:23 am
Nope, she's going to be taking 2 complete multi's.. we know how well many of those vites are absorbed without some fat in the system.. oh, and good luck getting that iron with the multis.. they usually have calcium in there too.. so you won't get very much iron because of that.

Ugh, sorry for the snark, but this is a level of insane from a bariatric dr I have never encountered before. It's like they are giving her a nice running start on deficiencies out the gate, instead of the opposite!
Most Active