LAST BITE OF FOOD FOR 6-8 WEEKS. advice??

samsander
on 10/4/11 10:03 am - CA
I did a little search and see that there are like 1-2 Drs. in your area that advise this plan (could not find anyone else, ANYWHERE).

We always say, "listen to your nut", "listen to your doc".... but would you mind sharing the logic you were given for this?

This is not a set-up to debate you ... I just want to understand!

Mary SW 273  CW 158  GW 160

Apple-Jax
on 10/4/11 4:07 pm
On October 4, 2011 at 5:03 PM Pacific Time, samsander wrote:
I did a little search and see that there are like 1-2 Drs. in your area that advise this plan (could not find anyone else, ANYWHERE).

We always say, "listen to your nut", "listen to your doc".... but would you mind sharing the logic you were given for this?

This is not a set-up to debate you ... I just want to understand!
sure, it has 100g of protien, balance of phosphorous, carbs, low fat, no processed sugar. plus you take vitamins. supposed to contain everything your body needs in balance for a short period of time. it is supposed to lesson your craving for solid foods and quickly shrink your liver. 

i also think if you can survive it, you can survive anything.......lol

i have talked to lots of folks who have done it and not had adverse effects, they also all agreed that after a few days it flips a switch somwhere and you stop craving food as compared to shake diets.  that part remains to be seen!!!!
 so here i am jumping through the hoops...lol

Hillery82211
on 10/5/11 5:07 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm still trying to figure out how milk only diet gives you 100g of protein a day.  Are you adding shakes or something? Protein supplements? Because one serving of skim milk (8oz) is only 8grams of protein.  To get 100gs a day from milk only, you would have to drink almost 13 glasses a day. 

Also, I did a 2 weeks shake diet (opti-fast) and honestly, i was never hungry AND I didn't have food cravings.  If your doc and NUT are saying that the shake diets don't kill food cravings then they have not done thier research.  Yes, the first 2-3 days were hard (that's with any drastic diet change...not just a liquid diet)...because Imost people are coming off of eatting large amounts of carbs and sugar.  I know I was and I'm happy to day I haven't craved craby or sugary food since I did my pre-op diet.

I'm seeing a lot of red flags with this pre-op diet...and for FOUR WEEKS?!?!?  Girl...RUN to another doctor!

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Mandy R.
on 10/4/11 12:20 pm - Callahan, FL
the all milk preop diet is making me thankful for my 2 week full liquid diet....good luck to you :)

HW-298  SW-251 Loss/Month post RNY(1)-23.5,(2)-23.3,(3)-9.9,(4)-10.6,(5)-8.9,(6)-7.7,(7)-4.2,(8)-7.5,(9)-1.7,(10)-10.8*first goal reached*,(11)-6,(12)-1.3,(13)-0.3,(14)+2.9-*changed scales that weigh 2lbs heavier*,(15)-0.3(16)-4.7(17),+5.8(18)-1.5,(19)+4.4,(20)-+4,(21)-1.2,(22)+3.5,(23)

Apple-Jax
on 10/4/11 4:09 pm
On October 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM Pacific Time, Mandy R. wrote:
the all milk preop diet is making me thankful for my 2 week full liquid diet....good luck to you :)
glad i could help........lol  hehe
(deactivated member)
on 10/5/11 4:59 am
what does your practice do or how do they handle those that are lactose intolerant?

Apple-Jax
on 10/5/11 3:48 pm
soy milk or light vanilla soy milk.
Amber L.
on 10/5/11 6:27 pm - Sweden
I can't decide if four weeks of cows milk or four weeks of soy milk is worse. No one should be getting that much soy and no one should be relying on 100% animal products to live. Cows milk is designed to make baby cows quadruple in size in a year. It's not produced for human consumption and certainly not meant to sustain a human. At most it should be a supplement. At least make sure you are buying organic milk. Don't fill your body with gross antibiotics and chemicals.
Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f*ckin' perfect.
Pink!

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/11 1:44 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Apple-Jax,

I'm respectfully asking you the following question with nothing but concern for your health on my mind,

Are you so desperate to lose weight that you are willing to put up with these so called medical professionals utterly ridicules, and malnourished pre-op diet ?

It's like their more concerned about their post weight loss stats then they are about you the patient. No other pre surgical pre-op diet in the world is like this ( at least I have never heard of one ) They are not doing this for your health, they are doing it to improve their program stats and because they think obese patients need to learn a lesson in control. Plain and simple, They hate fat people.

This milk diet is extreme and you will be going into MAJOR surgery weak and malnourished. You need to be going into surgery strong and well nourished, because your body is going to come out of surgery feeling like it was run over by a Mac truck. Your body will perceive this surgery as an insult, which is why you need to be eating healthy foods, supplementing, low carbs, and strength training.

The stronger you go into surgery, the easier it will be for you to return to your normal routine. You have children who are going to be a drain on your recovery, and if you go into this surgery in such a weakened condition, your body will have no fuel stores in which to pull from in the recovery phase.

Are you required to lose a certain amount of weight before surgery ?

If that is the case, then there are much healthier options out there for you. You mentioned that they want you to do this milk diet in order to shrink the liver fast. The liver can't be shrunk fast, and I'm going to let someone else explain why because that's not my area of expertise.

I'm also going to let someone else explain to you about how you can make your liver less slippery by eating low carb which is what you really need to be doing, so that your liver will be in optimal condition for this surgery.

I gotta go and dig someone up over on the DS forum to explain this liver stuff to you better then I can.
Kayla B.
on 10/5/11 6:07 am - Austin, TX
Who thought this up?  Absolutely inadequate with no science to back it up.  No fat diet?  Terrible idea.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Most Active