LAST BITE OF FOOD FOR 6-8 WEEKS. advice??

Apple-Jax
on 10/3/11 8:59 pm
Well i did it, am took my last bite of food for a while.  I am starting a 4 week milk diet.  not shakes, plain old skim milk.   so 4 weeks of milk plus 2-4 weeks after surgery, I am pretty sure this whole thing is designed to make those cottage cheese and scrambled eggs down the line seem like filet mignon.
i am actually excited about it, there is something freeing about not thinking about food, just pour a glass of milk and drink it, you're done.

the only problem i see is that i cook for a family.  i am not sure how i will feel about that. how did other people cope with liquid diets while feeding a family?  i bought some frozen dinners for this week, they will have to live with it.  i am thinking about chewing sugar free gum while i cook.  an old diet trick to keep you from popping food in your mouth.  i am considering sending my husband and son to my mother in laws for dinner a few times, dinner is the hardest thing for me. 

i heard that after 3 days it gets better,  any experience with this or other liquid diets?  advice? also people have suggested sugar free syrups but i think that may counteract the effect of tricking your brain into not craving sweets/carbs.  any thoughts?

Support Group for Fall 2011 WLS! Please come and join!
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Fall_2011_WLS/

kimberleyann
on 10/3/11 10:39 pm - Kingston, NS, Canada
Wow never heard of an all milk diet. Glad it is you and not me as I can't stand milk on its own. I am on my pre-op liquid only diet and enjoy my protein drinks. Good luck.
AnneGG
on 10/3/11 10:47 pm
Just skim milk for that long? Never heard of that! Certainly doesn't seem nutritionally sound. Does your doctor have a nutritionist on staff? I had Optifast for my liquid diet, and some docs don't even require one.

Otherwise your ideas for dealing with it sound great.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

PluggingAlong
on 10/3/11 11:02 pm
If you're looking to reduce your craving for sweets/carbs your plan makes no sense. Skim milk has the most sugar per oz out of all the milk products. Is this your YOUR plan or your surgeon/NUT's plan? I've never heard of something like this. 

Consult Weight-323 / SW- 312 / CW-173/ GW-155
Starting BMI: 65.2 Current BMI: 34.9

Apple-Jax
on 10/4/11 3:44 pm
On October 4, 2011 at 6:02 AM Pacific Time, PluggingAlong wrote:
If you're looking to reduce your craving for sweets/carbs your plan makes no sense. Skim milk has the most sugar per oz out of all the milk products. Is this your YOUR plan or your surgeon/NUT's plan? I've never heard of something like this. 
it is the NUT/surgeon.  everyone in the program is required to do it, there are several programs that do this. it is 3 meals a day of skim milk plus other low cal or cal free liquids like crystal light/tea/propel. plus a multivitamin 2x per day.  some people only have to do 2 weeks, others 4.  it shrinks your liver.  milk has carbs/fat/phosphorous and the other things your body needs.  it is also designed to lesson your cravings for solid food. everyone ivs talked to says the first 3 days are the worst and it gets better, today wasnt bad at all.  they have been doing it for 10 years and have a really great success rate.  plus they draw labs midway.
believe me, i am not a fan of milk and would not do it otherwise! i don't even drink the milk in my cereal!  lol
my best friend in another town had no pre-op diet and my sister in law in the same town had 2 weeks of shakes.  there seems to be no agreement about it but oh well.
that being said, don't try this at home! or at least without your dr's approval. and only right before surgery or it will backfire.  i think in a way it will help me prepare mentally and that is good.

poet_kelly
on 10/4/11 3:53 pm - OH
Skim milk three times a day?  And that's all the protein you'll be getting?  Oh, that's scary.  If you drink eight ounces of milk at a time, that's only 24 grams of protein a day.  If you do that for four weeks, you'll be going into major surgery really low on protein.  That cannot be healthy.  You do not need a very low protein diet in order to shrink the liver.  You need a low carb diet for that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karen M.
on 10/3/11 11:16 pm - Mississauga, Canada
I have never heard of an all milk diet, pre or post op.  Is this surgeon imposed?  It's not nutritionally sound.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

teachmid
on 10/3/11 11:37 pm - OKC, OK
I would be concerned about being nutritionally depleted by the time you have surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Apple-Jax
on 10/4/11 3:46 pm
On October 4, 2011 at 6:37 AM Pacific Time, teachmid wrote:
I would be concerned about being nutritionally depleted by the time you have surgery.
i thought about that too, and they do have you take supplements 2x daily.

pycca
on 10/6/11 3:26 am - Haslet, TX

That is a stupid diet !  milk causes you to crave carbs, and  mucous,,

As a medical person,, not enough nutrition !!

you will deplete you reserves going into surgery.     It also needs to be more that 2x a Day for supplements,     , as for liver shrinkage, just anything liquid diet is sufficient,,

Most surgeons do  2 weeks,, even nuro, vascular and general,       

Most Active